Princess LTE fee is a rip off

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:04 PM.
#41
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by myfuzzy
I call them "one hit wonders" I wonder why they don't have anything else to do.


Can you spell being ripped off by Princess?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#42
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by sachielles
Att actually told us that Princess didn't allow their LTE aboard the ship. The ship was using its own tower. Sorry this is all Princess's greed.

You said when docked, you are wrong.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises



USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
#43
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Kamloops50
If you are using a smartphone to access Wifi that might be the issue . If you didn't turn off cellphone coverage you'll pay about $9 a gigabyte for data. Check your phone setting , LTE is cell data not wifi . Many cellphones use wifi where possible then default cellular data if no wifi. Sounds to me like you pickup a cellular signal from shore which means your paying international roaming charges.


I bought the Wifi package which kept eating up at least 20 Minutes the moment I turned it on. I had an international plan of $10 a day for all internet access but on the Ship the LTE tower was controlled by Princess.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#44
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by sachielles
I bought the Wifi package which kept eating up at least 20 Minutes the moment I turned it on. I had an international plan of $10 a day for all internet access but on the Ship the LTE tower was controlled by Princess.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It states right on the AT&T website that Princess does not participate.
The $10 per day is for land use only.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises



USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
#45
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by peety3
Welcome to the forums! Everyone knows the internet packages are expensive. Everyone knows the internet packages are slow compared to land-based versions (half of that is unavoidable with present technology no matter how much bandwidth is thrown at the problem). Your comment "when we were docked they took over the LTE" seems odd - they take over the cellular no matter what, so I don't see why this is a surprise.

The biggest laugh here is that you sent this from your iPhone. Turn off data roaming before you board the ship and it won't cost you $2000! Enjoy your next cruise...glad you won't be on a Princess ship again.


I have unlimited roaming and data plan. And yes Princess had control over the tower when onboard the ship. Don't worry I won't go back to Princess they had a gimmick for every meal. Felt like we were at MaryKay presentation. Our waiters were constantly hounding us to buy something. Just tacky.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#46
USA
4,402 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by sachielles
Well I'm back and I'm done with dealing with Princess. ATT told us that Royal Caribbean had a deal with them but not Princess. They are a rip off.
Glad you came back! But apparently you didn't do enough research before your cruise to know how a ship's internet works. Sadly, you had an expensive mistake. Do some research now so it won't happen again. You can do a Search here on CC to find all about how each cruiseline does their internet.


It's OK to try another cruiseline - always good to see how each line works. I've tried 3 of them and will try a 4th in a few months.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.



Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Seattle-Vancouver - 1 day) **Elite**
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Northern California Coastal - 7 days)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)








#47
Albuquerque, NM
985 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Delete
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I came over on the boat, and boy, are my arms tired from rowing!

USNS General Alexander M Patch Bremerhaven to New York City August 1955
Grand Circle Cruise River Harmony Frankfurt to Amsterdam December 2005
Celebrity Mercury Panama Canal Repo San Diego to Baltimore October 2010
Celebrity Century Hawaii to Ensenada March-April 2012
Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle May 2014
Celebrity Silhouette FLL to Cozumel January 2017
Celebrity Summit FLL to Western Caribbean January 2017



#48
3,570 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by sachielles
Why is it a joke? My outrageous bill was not funny.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I feel for you. I have a pretty simple cell phone - it's a smart phone but a Tracphone, pay as you go. I have it for that very reason, I can't screw up. I've read here at CC where parents let their kids use their phone to play games with and the next thing they know they get a big huge bill. Reminds me when my kids were 5 & 6, and they spent a couple of hours dialing those 900 numbers to speak to Santa! Boy was I p*ssed when I got the phone bill, my kids had no idea! So, yes, there's scammers every where if you're not careful, gotta be on guard constantly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature













Cruises

10/2017 Crown Princess - New England
05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
#49
2,170 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by sachielles
I have unlimited roaming and data plan. And yes Princess had control over the tower when onboard the ship. Don't worry I won't go back to Princess they had a gimmick for every meal. Felt like we were at MaryKay presentation. Our waiters were constantly hounding us to buy something. Just tacky.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was this your first cruise?
#50
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
You said when docked, you are wrong.


Ok my bill told me I'm not. Do you have stocks and or work for Princess?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#51
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
It states right on the AT&T website that Princess does not participate.
The $10 per day is for land use only.


Yes so when we docked but still on the boat and have LTE--we were charged extra by Princess.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#52
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Go-Bucks!
Glad you came back! But apparently you didn't do enough research before your cruise to know how a ship's internet works. Sadly, you had an expensive mistake. Do some research now so it won't happen again. You can do a Search here on CC to find all about how each cruiseline does their internet.





It's OK to try another cruiseline - always good to see how each line works. I've tried 3 of them and will try a 4th in a few months.


From talking to ATT it's seems that Royal Caribbean is the best in terms of their internet package and not charging their passage for an extra surcharge for LTE.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#53
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by elliair
I feel for you. I have a pretty simple cell phone - it's a smart phone but a Tracphone, pay as you go. I have it for that very reason, I can't screw up. I've read here at CC where parents let their kids use their phone to play games with and the next thing they know they get a big huge bill. Reminds me when my kids were 5 & 6, and they spent a couple of hours dialing those 900 numbers to speak to Santa! Boy was I p*ssed when I got the phone bill, my kids had no idea! So, yes, there's scammers every where if you're not careful, gotta be on guard constantly.


Yes I have to admit I'm one of those people that can't be without internet. Next time I will make sure I choose a cruise that has better internet plans.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#54
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by perditax
Was this your first cruise?


No it's my 4th but my first with Princess and I'm not impress with them. They also were trying to sell all kind of packages every time we used the dining room. Really aggravating!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#55
The low desert, AZ
3,545 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by sachielles
Ok my bill told me I'm not. Do you have stocks and or work for Princess?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I have never been charged for cell phone usage while on the ship in port. I also set my phone to notify me that I need to allow for roaming so that I can cancel if I am somewhere that I know is not cost friendly to my cell usage. Unfortunately, you did not read information regarding cell phone and data usage while on board. That info is all on the Princess website. I don't have a cell service that has "agreements" with any cruise line so I suppose that I could say they all all a ripoff to me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
#56
2,170 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by sachielles
Yes so when we docked but still on the boat and have LTE--we were charged extra by Princess.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess charged you $2000? Or your cellphone company did?

Please answer this honestly.

You should have received text messages warning you when you were connected to the ship's cellular service.

Also, was this your first cruise?
#57
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by ar1950
I have never been charged for cell phone usage while on the ship in port. I also set my phone to notify me that I need to allow for roaming so that I can cancel if I am somewhere that I know is not cost friendly to my cell usage. Unfortunately, you did not read information regarding cell phone and data usage while on board. That info is all on the Princess website. I don't have a cell service that has "agreements" with any cruise line so I suppose that I could say they all all a ripoff to me.


No I had an international plan which charged me $10 daily for roaming. However if I was still on the ship when it is being docked Princess controlled the LTE tower. I didn't know that.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#58
2,170 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by sachielles
No it's my 4th but my first with Princess and I'm not impress with them. They also were trying to sell all kind of packages every time we used the dining room. Really aggravating!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, so you've cruised before but you weren't aware you have to turn off cellular service on your phone to avoid extra cellular carrier fees?

There's a reason everyone here is arguing with you, and I promise it's not because we own Princess stock.
#59
32 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by perditax
Princess charged you $2000? Or your cellphone company did?

Please answer this honestly.

You should have received text messages warning you when you were connected to the ship's cellular service.

Also, was this your first cruise?


Nope the fee was going to Princess. Att has to pay Princess when their LTE tower is used.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#60
2,170 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by sachielles
No I had an international plan which charged me $10 daily for roaming. However if I was still on the ship when it is being docked Princess controlled the LTE tower. I didn't know that.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, so you thought you were using whatever the local land-based carrier was, but your phone went to the nearest tower, which was the ship's. You should have received a text message warning you were using "cellular at sea" or something like that. I'd go through your text messages and find the text to see what it looks like, because Princess isn't the only cruise line that does it.

It's possible if you call your cellphone carrier and plead your case they will cut you a break. Unlikely but possible.

By the way, your $10/day international carrier should also send you a text message letting you know when you've connected and that you're on the $10/day rate. That's what my Verizon plan does, anyway.