How long to vacation with kids?

spazzyjanet

Assuming money is no object, how long is the ideal vacation (involving a cruise) with kids?

I am in the unique situation where I will be vacationing nearly for free thanks to a parent of mine coming into a one-time sum of money that he wants to use to take my family on vacation with. We currently are booked on a 7-night cruise, plus 3 nights prior in a beach-view, 3 bedroom suite for 10-days total. He has offered to book a night after the cruise as well. So this has me wondering. Should we turn down the extra night post-cruise? This will quite a long time for my kids (5,8, and 10) to be out of their routines already. Will we be just wanting to get them back home by day 10? Or should we be crazy to turn down an extra night in a nice beach hotel post-cruise to wind everyone down?

Well, I would think it depends on your family! I think 10 days is ample time, but some folks do much longer....others are lucky to get a long weekend.... Kids will tend to "get on a routine", even if it's a vacation routine!!

Edited by cb at sea

While I think that each child and family have different situations and personalities, we cruise 2-3 times a year with our now 6 year old. She's a cruiseaholic just like her mommy :D. Last month we decided to do a post day stay before our cruise, did a 7 day cruise, then a post day stay in a hotel, then went on another 4/5 day cruise. So basically, we were away from home for 2 full weeks. By day 10, she was ready to go home and honestly, we were too. It was nice but it was a lot for all of us. This coming from a child who adopts well to anything and has no specific "routine". :)

Part of the "night after" experience will also depend upon the travel arrangements you have to go back home. If the time between disembarking and catching a connecting flight is tight, the extra night may make more sense than the stress of getting off the ship in time to catch your flight. If the extra night positively time you are due to get back home that day of your homecoming it can also be something to consider. But if you are thinking about the extra day just because it is possible, I don't know that it will be all that great of an experience.

In addition to the factors the previous posters have mentioned, it also depends on the cruise. If you are doing a European river or Baltic cruise with a lot of exhausting full day city touring, you might want a day to rest at a hotel before a transatlantic flight. If your cruise is mostly to see beaches, plus spending 3 days at the beach prior to boarding, then I'd skip the extra day at the end unless as the previous poster had noted it would help you fly at a better time or get a direct flight the next day.

I'm a big believer in the-longer-the-better when it comes to vacations. However, the least fun days are always the transition days. In your case, I would rather go from the ship to the airport than ship-hotel-airport if it's just for one night since all you're doing is adding one more pack and get out day. Unless there was something I really wanted to do in the final port or the flight time was going to be too tight.

Best,

Mia

What's the use of routine? Being able to cope with changes to routine is a very useful attribute. Here's your chance to help them practice.

When I was 10, I had a 7 week holiday in a cottage in north Denmark. Towards the end of the trip, we were suddenly given (at a couple of days notice) the chance of a week in Copenhagen. We took the week, and "routine" wasn't considered - it did me no harm.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

What's the use of routine? Being able to cope with changes to routine is a very useful attribute. Here's your chance to help them practice.

When I was 10, I had a 7 week holiday in a cottage in north Denmark. Towards the end of the trip, we were suddenly given (at a couple of days notice) the chance of a week in Copenhagen. We took the week, and "routine" wasn't considered - it did me no harm.

I would love to spend 7 weeks in Denmark! We were there for a week and try and make our europe flight connections through Copenhagen so that we can see the city.

I think it really depends on the vacation to determine the right length. Ideally I like 2 week vacations when there is an opportunity to see a variety of things, different ports of call or at the two week mark really making that transition from tourist to seeing a place through more of a resident's view point.

Thanks for the thoughts. Honestly, if it were just the 10 and 8- year old girls I'd say "sure." But the youngest boy is sensitive to being out of his schedule for too long and I worry that 10 days is already pushing it. Case in point- he has been out of school since Christmas Eve and seems to be already having issues. BUT... we are talking about a year from now and maybe he'll be more mature then? Honestly, my gut says leave it at 10-days, but my brain keeps saying "free night's stay at really nice hotel."