the Pearl is still a Jewel

newmexicoNita

We were on the 9 day Pearl cruise that ended on Sunday. It was originally meant to be just 7 days, but the week prior, the ship was chartered for just 5 days, so they extended the cruise to 7 days, leaving on Friday the 10th.

I am going to try and keep this short, as I know some like to hear every detail, others just want the facts.

I will tell you a little about us, we are in our early 80s and have cruised on mass marketed lines, 20 plus on NCL, our line of choice. Thus I am a bit partial.

Normally I do not take much time detailing our trip to the embarkation port or details, but this time i think it is important to mention the pre cruising. We did spend on night at the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport. I don't think I would choose the hotel again and I happen to be a retired Hilton employee. I won't go into detail but will say it very tired looking and the bar tender, the night we were there was also the wait person: enough said. I will add the food was not too bad, but a little pricey. The next morning they ordered a taxi for us; it was a private taxi company with just one employee and he didn't even offer a step stool to help with getting into the taxi. That was two weeks ago and I am still nursing a horrible sore from bumping my calf on the taxi. At least we didn't let it stop us from having a good time.

We arrived at the port about 10:30 and didn't start boarding until about 1pm. Though it didn't really bother us, the number of people bitching was unbelievable and it wasn't anyone's fault. It just happened that was the day the Coast Guard decided to do a complete inspection of the ship including checking each life boat. We did finally get on the ship; we do use wheel chairs for long walks like getting on the ship and I have to say, the wheel Chair attendents went out of their way to assist us, even though there were more people using devices than I have ever seen as the demographics were on the older side.

The majority of the passengers were from the mid west and the south, as would be expected leaving out of New Orleans. We did meet people from Canada, New York, Calif. and lots of other interesting places though not like sailing out of Miami or NYC. Overall people were friendly and fun. Being part of the M&G helps a lot I think. We had our official M&G the first sea day, followed by a gift exchange and slot pull, all voluntery.

We were on deck 5, with a small picture window which suited us, but we still did miss our balcony. Our cabin steward was the best and friendliest we have had since the oldern days of cruising. He helped make our cruise very pleasant, with fun towel aninmals, got us a coffee pot even though we were not in a balcony cabin and overall took good care of us. We tipped him pretty well at the end, a little better than we normally do. He was so good at changing my sheets often due to my leg injury.

We didn't have the UDP but did the UBP. Because we are platinum we still got our 2 dinners: one at Modernos and one at Le Bistro; both were very good. The salad buffet at Modernos isn't a huge as years past but there was all anyone needs and the quality was great. My meat was slightly over cooked. I probably should have said something but it certainly wasn't bad. Le Bistro was as good as ever. One night we did eat at the buffet, I have to say I was very disappointed. The MDRs were good to very good with litte to no wait. The only meal we had, I thought was not up to par was the chicken. The thigh part wasn't done and the leg was over cooked. They offered to exchange it for me but I had eaten enough so just told them to forget it. I was satisfied and full. To our surprise OSheehans has improved over our last couple of cruises I think. We ate lunch there on embarkation day and a few other times. We choose them for breakfast the last morning, which was a smart move. The buffet would have been over flowing. We also ate breakfast in the Great Outdoors a couple of times. The rest of our lunches and dinners were in the VIP dining room. I had set up the M&G which I have done many times before. Sometimes we get the VIP treatment, sometimes not. I will say the breakfasts there were not as good as in years past and the conciegre certainly didn't think it was necessary to bend over backwards for us. Maybe it had to do with the fact we were not not in a suite. I don't know, but i will say, it is the first time we have had VIP treatment and not given a tip the conciegre. Lotus Garden was our dining choice the first and last night. It was ok, but am glad it was complementary. The appetizers were good as was the fried rice, the noodles not so. I am not complaining, ther service was top notch and it was something different. :cool::cool::cool:

Because of my leg, my husbands lack of mobility and the crappy weather we choose to stay on the ship much of the time. We had a wonderful tour booked in Roatan. I know it was awesome because the other 6 in our group went ahead and took it. Let me add, they said, the tour was great, but the bad weather was reason, smart people like us stayed on the ship . :halo: By the time we got to Santo Tomas, things were looking up. We took the ship sponsored trolley ride. It was certainly worth the $29 and very infomrative, but the island is so poor, it was a little sad.:loudcry: The tour guide did choose to tell us about their government and all the problems, it might have been better had he left that part out. Costa Maya has some interesting tours as well as fun shopping. Of course much of the stuff is basic junky but fun and good prices. I picked up several fun stocking stuffers. We didn't do a tour, talked to some who did and said they enjoyed what they did.

As for entertainment, we went to 3 shows but spent much of the time before and after dinner listening to Jim at the piano bar or entertainment in the atruim. The comedian was really fun, the Legends in concert would have been a great show for those a little younger than us, but it wasn't for us. I have seen much better Elvis' plus he didn't do any of the really good Elvis songs. The other 2 were good impersonators of the entertainers they were replacing but we are not fans of Michael Jackson for intsance. This does not mean they were not good, I am they were.

Debarkation was about as slow as embarkation: again not NCLs fault necessarily but still I wonder about those who had early flights. This is why I feel so strongly about anyone who books a flight before noon. Of course you have those who insist on self debarkation with huge luggage and lots of it. I know, this is the way of the world right now, but I think they actully slow us all down. Luckily we had a 2pm flight and were getting off via wheel chairs. The tormenal was a night mare I will add, but we still had time, got to the airport with no problems and had a wonderful end to a great cruise.

The cruise was successful because of the wonderful NCL crew and the great people who were cruising this time. Of course we purchased 2 more future cruise certifcates, they are running a really good deal.

Sorry this is so long: any questions I will do my best to answer. ;p

What was the tour in Roatan?

We booked it privately and the company name is: Rony. You can find him on line. He allows you to privatize your tour to meet your needs and desires. All those, as I said in our group had a good time and he is not expensive. The basic price for 2 people is $25.00 a person, then you only pay for the attractions you decide you would like to visit, like the sloth and monkey farm, the beach, the gardens, whatever. We would use him again in a second. BTW, he did not charge for us as no shows. There is no paying up front.

Thanks Nita. I will be writing my review soon and it will be similar. Harvest Caye was the highlight for us.

We didn't do Haven Caye but will if we do a similar itinerary again. I think we are heading off to the eastern Caribbean in the spring, just deciding which ship we want to take and whether we want to sail out of San Juan or Miami

well we did book again, but not really the Caribbean, we are doing Bermuda in early May. We have never done Bermuda or a cruise with only 1 port. I think it will be a fun and good experience: nor to mention between the perks NCL has right now and the special promos our TA is offering we couldn't turn it down even though sailing to Bermuda is a little more expensive than some cruises based on a day to day price breakdown.

My brother took the Breakaway in June to Bermuda. The fact you get to overnight in port is a big plus and takes alot of the worry out of shore excursions. We have gone to Bermuda and overnighted on RCCL and the old cruise line Homelines. Very relaxing and I hope you have a good time Nita.

• 2 weeks later...
We’re boarding her in just 17 days for the first time! It’s the kids’ first cruise & they cannot wait!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy, just spoke with a friend yesterday who has cruised HAL and Princess in the past; she actually preferred her NCL experience.She took her daughter in law and 5 grandkids on the Pearl. The kids were all teen agers with one being a recent college grad. Her favorite part of the cruise was the entertainment and the free style dining.