Weather question on the Breakaway from NYC in November

stone1061

We will be leaving in cold weather ...how long before we start getting some warmer weather. when we leave sunday it will be cold...monday is a sea day and I wonder if the ship will be far enough away for the kids to use there bathing suits and then n the way back Friday and Saturday are see days and I am hoping at least Friday will be a warmer day. Any thoughts from those who have done this cruise during that time of year?

I’ve done this cruise in February and had 60 degree temperature variation on DAY ONE from year to year! Nobody can predict this. There is a decent chance of good weather by middle of the second day, but nobody knows. Any responses you get might sound good, but it really isn’t going to be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our second trip on Breakaway was the first week of November and it was about 60* and sunny the Sunday we departed. Gorgeous weather. ( The previous year it snowed on Thanksgiving so you can't predict the weather!!). The rest of the week was perfect until about Saturday when it really started getting cold.

I remember sitting outside at Malting's that night and we were pretty cold joking with the bartenders about it. Fun times. It was a great cruise.

Back in NYC on Sunday it was damp and raining.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We usually sail in January, and you can never predict Mother Nature. We have sailed in January many times from NY and have been able to use all outdoor activities (pool, hottubs ) on day one, once in June, on day one the outdoor areas were closed due to high winds. Can't predict anything.

Safe sailing

OP, we are on the BA earlier than you ;p - November is cool & Fall-like weather in NYC ... "cold" is a relative term but nothing a 3 season jacket/parka with zip-out fleece liner/vest can't handle onboard for Day 2 and Day 7, as that morning & afternoon were generally "chiller".

You check Accuweather or Weather Channel or WeatherUnderground for the latest, and pack your wardrobe accordingly. Between sailing down the Hudson & the morning of Day 2, ship is already down off the MD/VA coast heading toward the Carolinas ... crossing the weatherfronts & hitting warmer climate, most of the ship pax will be on deck sunbathing (mother nature cooperating, nobody can predict now) ... short sleeves, shorts & flip-flops/sandals, some on their balconies while others lined up for the pool deck's BBQ.

If it is "chilly" still - a hoodies or windbreaker will generally suffice, you don't need a down coat or thermals ;p :cool: - odds are that you will join others baking under the warm sun. PC is generally in the 70's and 80's (that was true in mid-February when we're on the Jewel a few years ago)

OP, we are on the BA earlier than you ;p - November is cool & Fall-like weather in NYC ... "cold" is a relative term but nothing a 3 season jacket/parka with zip-out fleece liner/vest can't handle onboard for Day 2 and Day 7, as that morning & afternoon were generally "chiller".

You check Accuweather or Weather Channel or WeatherUnderground for the latest, and pack your wardrobe accordingly. Between sailing down the Hudson & the morning of Day 2, ship is already down off the MD/VA coast heading toward the Carolinas ... crossing the weatherfronts & hitting warmer climate, most of the ship pax will be on deck sunbathing (mother nature cooperating, nobody can predict now) ... short sleeves, shorts & flip-flops/sandals, some on their balconies while others lined up for the pool deck's BBQ.

If it is "chilly" still - a hoodies or windbreaker will generally suffice, you don't need a down coat or thermals ;p :cool: - odds are that you will join others baking under the warm sun. PC is generally in the 70's and 80's (that was true in mid-February when we're on the Jewel a few years ago)

Awesome!! kinda what i thought. I have a 13 & 11 yr old going on this cruise so they are asking how soon they can swim but you know kids...lol they will be in with blue lips lol

I have sailed out of the NYC area several times in the winter (QM2 and RCCL). Our experience is that day one off the coast of the Carolinas it is usually around 55 or so for the high. Coming from the north were it is colder, it starts to feel enjoyable, sweat shirt to supplement the optimistic shorts. However, on the way back, it feels like winter after coming back from the 80 degree temps! Everyone seems to overdress for the cold - lol.

I have sailed out of the NYC area several times in the winter (QM2 and RCCL). Our experience is that day one off the coast of the Carolinas it is usually around 55 or so for the high. Coming from the north were it is colder, it starts to feel enjoyable, sweat shirt to supplement the optimistic shorts. However, on the way back, it feels like winter after coming back from the 80 degree temps! Everyone seems to overdress for the cold - lol.

thank you!!!

If the ship leaves at about 4:00PM by 4:00Pm the following day it will have been doing about 22 miles and hour for 24 hours.

You should be about 500 miles south of New York. Plan on that weather..

We have sailed from NY dozens of times and always in the cold of January-February and March. We have almost always found that by the second day we were in shorts for a stroll in the afternoon somewhere as South as the Carolina's.

bosco

Awesome!! kinda what i thought. I have a 13 & 11 yr old going on this cruise so they are asking how soon they can swim but you know kids...lol they will be in with blue lips lol

Depends on what the kids are used to. From upstate New York where the weather can be snowy and freezing in November give them a sunny day with temps of 55-60 and they will be hard to keep out of the pool. LOL

bosco