Shore Excursions in Athens

MakingMemoriesNow

Hard to recommend as we know nothing about your...your interests, budget, mobility (important for the Acopolis, for example), time in port, etc.

Some reading down the board, and the offered excursions, will spark some interest, and narrow this very broad question.

My recommendation is to jump in a taxi as soon as you can get off the ship and head straight to the Acropolis to beat the crowds. Taxis are not that expensive for the 20-or-so minute ride.

The historic area of Athens isn't that large. On foot (after the Acropolis) you can visit the Greek Agora, Roman Agora, Acropolis Museum, Plaka area, Temple of Zeus, Theater of Dionysus & more.

Syntagma Square is just a couple of metro stops away, as is the larger Archaeological Museum of Athens.

Follow cruiemom42’s advice and be sure to buy the pass that gets you into the Acropolis as well as all the other antiquity sites. Very easy DIY day. Pick up a good guidebook or R Steve’s audiobook.

How much are the Taxis from PIRAEUS to the Acropolis area? are they metered or agreed prices? I've read a few horror stories on here about the traffic and delays.

We Arrive Wed29 August 2018 at 07:30

Depart: Wed 29 August 2018 at 19:30

So have plenty of time in the port, have an 11 year old child so I am looking at a private taxis or a group tour.

Just got back a week ago.

We did the ship tour of Best of Athens and its Scenic Coast. Would not do the scenic coast part again as it was multiple hours sitting in traffic on a bus. They took us a restaurant in a small village as part of this tour and the meal was something we will never forget. The food just kept coming and coming and coming. The staff had so much pride in sharing their food.

The acropolis was amazing. Yes, lots of slippery steps and walking in hot weather, but worth it. There is a toilet at the top (always helpful to know). Make sure you wear sturdy shoes. Saw young people in flip flops falling over.

• 3 weeks later...
My recommendation is to jump in a taxi as soon as you can get off the ship and head straight to the Acropolis to beat the crowds. Taxis are not that expensive for the 20-or-so minute ride.

The historic area of Athens isn't that large. On foot (after the Acropolis) you can visit the Greek Agora, Roman Agora, Acropolis Museum, Plaka area, Temple of Zeus, Theater of Dionysus & more.

Syntagma Square is just a couple of metro stops away, as is the larger Archaeological Museum of Athens.

Hi Cruisemom42

How much are the Taxis from PIRAEUS to the Acropolis area? are they metered or agreed prices? I've read a few horror stories on here about the traffic and delays.

I have priced up a private tour and they are abit expensive (around E$250), so fancy the idea of a taxi straight to the Acropolis to avoid the crowds, buy the museum pass and explore. Are the taxi's readily available at the Piraeus?

We were in Athens at Easter and daughter, son in law and granddaughter went ashore on their own (I have been to Athens twice before so stayed on board and had a lovely Spa session). They took the Hop On Hop Off bus and managed to get around easily stopping off at the places of interest

This might be another option for you to consider

Suron

Hi Cruisemom42

I have priced up a private tour and they are abit expensive (around E$250), so fancy the idea of a taxi straight to the Acropolis to avoid the crowds, buy the museum pass and explore. Are the taxi's readily available at the Piraeus?

I've found taxis to be readily available, particularly if you are early off the ship.

It's probably best to agree in advance on the cost. By meter it has been in the range of 20-25 euro for the one way trip. depending on traffic, exact route, etc.

We were in Athens at Easter and daughter, son in law and granddaughter went ashore on their own (I have been to Athens twice before so stayed on board and had a lovely Spa session). They took the Hop On Hop Off bus and managed to get around easily stopping off at the places of interest

This might be another option for you to consider

Suron

Thanks Suron, been put off the HOHO buses as we did a previous cruise and stopped at Lisbon, we used the HOHO from the port, but every stop was absolutely jammed with people waiting to get on the buses (some very heated arguments with people pushing in the queues!), but people were not getting off as they were worried that they would not be able to get back on a bus to the ship (there were a few big cruise ships in that day), so we just did a loop of the route on the bus, then got off in the city and walked down back to the port.

So after that I was put off, it's ok if you are in a hotel and staying, so no real deadline, but when you need transport back to the ship for a certain time, it could be a problem.

Spa session sounds good !!!

I've found taxis to be readily available, particularly if you are early off the ship.

It's probably best to agree in advance on the cost. By meter it has been in the range of 20-25 euro for the one way trip. depending on traffic, exact route, etc.

Thanks Cruisemom42, I like the idea of the taxi as it gives us allot of freedom, someone recommended 'The Beat' app, which sounds abit like Uber in Athens, so that looks like a good way to arrange a taxi. We have 12 hours in port, so not as stressful to get back to the ship as some of our stops where we are in port 4-5 hours.

Thanks Cruisemom42, I like the idea of the taxi as it gives us allot of freedom, someone recommended 'The Beat' app, which sounds abit like Uber in Athens, so that looks like a good way to arrange a taxi. We have 12 hours in port, so not as stressful to get back to the ship as some of our stops where we are in port 4-5 hours.

Athens is particularly walkable, so once you get there via taxi and see the Acropolis, it's pretty easy to get to other sites of interest on foot including the Greek and Roman Agoras, the Acropolis Museum, Temple of Olympian Zeus, and more.

Athens is particularly walkable, so once you get there via taxi and see the Acropolis, it's pretty easy to get to other sites of interest on foot including the Greek and Roman Agoras, the Acropolis Museum, Temple of Olympian Zeus, and more.

Thanks, sounds like we can get to the major sites we would like to see on foot after the taxi, so that makes life easier.

This sounds like great advice. We will be in Athens for 12 hours also next April and will take a taxi/Uber from the ship. Are the Metro tokens available at any station? How much is a metro pass? Is it for a daily use?

This sounds like great advice. We will be in Athens for 12 hours also next April and will take a taxi/Uber from the ship. Are the Metro tokens available at any station? How much is a metro pass? Is it for a daily use?

There are machines at every station for tickets (no tokens) but only some of them will accept credit cards -- others are cash only, just FYI.

I haven't used the system enough during any given visit to get a metro pass; easier and cheaper just to purchase individual tickets as needed.

If using the metro, do be very alert and careful with your belongings. Recent reports suggest it is a real hot spot for pickpocketing attempts, some involving several players to distract you and separate you from your belongings.

We used http://privategreecetours.com/ when we were in Athens. There were 4 of us and we had a very comfortable air conditioned car with a driver who took us all around Athens for 6 hours. The cost (I think) was 300 Euros, or 150 per couple. The driver met us at the port dock and was even aware that we had docked 3 hours earlier than originally planned! Because we did not have ship wifi, I was not able to check my email and learn that he was waiting for us. Nevertheless, he was still there waiting when we got off the ship! He took us to all the main sites and gave us plenty of time to view them. While driving he answered our questions and told us about the history of the buildings we were seeing. It was well worth the money and we were very pleased with this service. They were very flexible and altered the proposed itinerary to suit what we wanted. I strongly recommend this company.

Awesome, thank you!

We used http://privategreecetours.com/ when we were in Athens. There were 4 of us and we had a very comfortable air conditioned car with a driver who took us all around Athens for 6 hours. The cost (I think) was 300 Euros, or 150 per couple. The driver met us at the port dock and was even aware that we had docked 3 hours earlier than originally planned! Because we did not have ship wifi, I was not able to check my email and learn that he was waiting for us. Nevertheless, he was still there waiting when we got off the ship! He took us to all the main sites and gave us plenty of time to view them. While driving he answered our questions and told us about the history of the buildings we were seeing. It was well worth the money and we were very pleased with this service. They were very flexible and altered the proposed itinerary to suit what we wanted. I strongly recommend this company.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Making memories now, I hope this does not turn into a double post as I can’t see the one I just sent you.

We just came back from a med cruise in May, we used a new service called bus X80 it is an express bus to Athens. It is right outside the cruise ship terminal in parking lot. A 2 min walk. It goes to both terminals. We were in terminal B. There is a ticket office right there by the bus. 4.50 Euros for a daypass. Which is good on other transportations for the day. We talked with driver and he made sure we got off at the Acropolis stop, which is just before Hadrians Arch and pointed out where to catch the bus back on the other side of the street.

You cross to other side of road and walk straight up the pedestrian walkway. The ticket office for the Acropolis is about a 10 min walk up the walkway. Lots of restaurants along the way.

It was so easy to do and we are a group of old people😊

We were off the boat I think by 7:30 and we beat the crowds, it was great, the bus was sitting there.

You can google BusX80.

The museum was excellent and it is almost across the street from the Acropolis ticket office.

You should also try and get your son up to see the changing of the guard in Syntagma square. They change every hour and is quite the show.

We walked there from the Acropolis. Took us a little over 20 min. Ask for directions. We had to ask several times along the way but you could try and find a bus that would take you there and use your day pass you bought.

Private Greece Tours is excellent. I’ve used them many times and will be again in Nov.

• 2 weeks later...

Athens is one of the easiest DIY port in South Europe.

Most guidebooks and old posts about taking Metro/Tram/Train to city from port are outdated. Nowadays cruise ships arrive at E12 or E11 which are far from those options.

Prearranging private taxi has its own challennges as E12 and E11 are some distant apart and if you lose precious morning time in trying to meet up with the driver. it is a huge loss of time.

Taxis at port are usually interested in giving you "tour" rather than transport to Acropolis. (especially at E11 and E12 and earlier in the day when they are stillhopefull of catching those fares) Otherwise taxi can after some bargain will transport you to Acropolis for 20 euro.

Easiest and cheapest option is X80 bus which is 4.50 euro roundtrip.

Irrespective of which option you use, in high season, go to Olympian Zeus site first (no, not to see. You get better view from top of Acropolis but to buy Acropolis ticket without lines) You can end uo standing 2 hours in line at main Acropolis site or at least 1 hour at the Dionysus entrance in hot sun.

If using taxi/private car, make them wait 5 minutes while you buy ticket, swing by 1896 Olympic Stadium for 2 minute photo op stop (dont waste any more time) and then have them drop you at the top of the hill by the main entrance.

If you have taken X80 bus then take the pedesterian path to entrance across from Museum (Dionysus entrance). Between the two approaches, I alwaus prefer this approach. (One via Anafiotika is bit tricky for the first timers)

Rick Steve's Audio guide is free and for a change useful and so is his walking map (but dont like the rouute he takes)

After acropolis, avoid following signs to Ancient Agora as it wil make you backtrack (main back entrance to the Agora site is locked down). Instead take the beautiful Klepsidras street (one after Panos) down to Roman Agora. Turn left and first visit Ancient Agora site. Then walk to Monstiraki Square to get a feel of immigrant inflow Greece is experiencing. This is indeed a beautiful square for people watching. Then pass through pickpocket paradise street of Pandrassou for market watching (also watch your purse and pockets). Visit Hadrian's Library. Then walk up a block to see Horlogion of Andronikos of Kyrrhos Tower. AT this point either you can go back to the famous Adrinou street for relatively safer shopping experience (it cuts through heart of plaka) or I prefer taking tiny streets like Lissiou or Tripidon thorigh plaka. Then after a qyuick bite/drink, walk over to Parliament for change of guard (actual change of guard every hour, funny looking march every 10 minutes). X80 back to port starts from Syntagma square (stop is near McDonald's - start of Ermou street, closer to Everest restaurant)

One advice: I have found late afternoon as the best time to go to Acropolis if first thing in the morning (before 9 AM) is not possible. If your cruise ship departs after 8 pm then might be worth doing the above tour in reverse such that going to Acroplois after 4 pm)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...