Should I ditch sea lions for more shopping and beach time???

missmissypie068

Hey Y'all! We'll be in Cozumel from 10-6 p.m. ( not enough time!!! ) on Carnival Conquest. I've booked a package deal at Dolphin Discovery. We have to check in by 11:30 a.m. for a swim with the sea lions, then after that there's a sea lion show, then we check in at 2:30 for a 3 p.m. swim/snorkel with the dolphins that should last till close to 4 p.m.

Here's my Q.......I'd love to have a little beach and shopping time in Cozumel, but with this sea lion/dolphin package we're going to be pretty rushed. I've already decided to ditch the sea lion show so we'll have from 12:45 or so till 2:30 to hang on the beach and have lunch.

Do you think we should try to change our reservation to JUST do the dolphins so we'll have more time to shop and hang at the beach???? I can't decide because the sea lion swim sounds like fun, too!

Are there shops close to the ship where we can do some serious power shopping before boarding? I'm guessing we'll have an hour or so to shop before boarding the ship.

Any suggestions from those who've done the sea lions.....is it worth giving up the extra beach and shopping time? Thanks!!!!

[b][size=3][color=darkslategray]Just [i]my[/i] thinking is that two 'swims' in one day would be one too many. You asked, so I'll tell ya - I would do the dolphin swim, then enjoy the beach/lunch, and [i]maybe [/i]take in the sea lion show. But again, there will be other beaches on your itinerary, so......?[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f]Also, while in Chankanaab, you'll want to have time to walk thru the botanical gardens. It's beautiful, with replicated Mayan ruins, iguanas, flora of all kinds. I'd hate for you to miss seeing it.[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f]As far as shopping, if the Conquest docks at Puerto Maya pier, there's a HUGE and very nice shopping area, dozens of shops plus the a/c 'mall' shop. The shopping, IMO, is just as good there as in San Miguel (the town). Actually, I've found better prices in some of the shops at the pier.[/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f]Decisions. Decisions. :D [/color][/size][/b]

THanks for replying! I need to hurry up and decide by tomorrow. I think I have to give them a week's notice if I cancel or make a change. I think the seals would be great, but I'm afraid we won't have any time to do anything else. I'm thinking you may be right.......the two swims is one too many. I'm gonna talk it over with my hubby and decide. THanks for the shopping info, too!!! :)

We did the Sea Lion swim because we couldn't get an early enough Dolphin swim. Our package also included entrance to the park and the Sea Lion show. They gave us specific times for the swim and the show on our reservation form. We were suppose to do the swim first and then the show. We were there early and they let us see the show first so we were able to leave as soon as the swim was over and had time to shop afterwards.

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red]how was the sea lion swim.............what did you do.........was there alot of interaction..........we were looking to do both........but have decided the sea lions would be more fun..........besides we can swim w/ dolphins at any number of ports........[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff0000]thanx........trish[/color][/size][/font][/i]

First you went and sat on a platform and they introduced you to the sea lion and told you all about them. Ours was named "Karla." Then you got in the water, in a line (8 in our group), put out your arms and she swam past you while you got to feel her. Then everyone individually got to hold her and she gave you a kiss. Then two people held hands way above the water and Karla jumped over your arms, turned around, and jumped back over them on the way back. After everyone had a turn, we got back out of the water and the trainer demonstrated how sea lions will mimick everything you do. If we danced, she danced. If we clapped, she clapped, if we turned around, she turned around...... etc. Then everyone got to individually hug her good-bye.
the whole thing was close to an hour and photos and a video were being taken the whole time. Afterwards you got to go in a little room and watch the video and had the option of purchasing it. Cost was $28.USD (well worth it!) Photos were a little pricey at $19.USD (a little bigger than 5 x 7) but they were very good! We booked through Sherri at cozumelinsider. Price was $56.00 and very well worth every penny! It included $12.00 entrance fee into the park (which is very beautiful ~ you could spend the entire day there if you chose to), and the sealion show. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them. You're going to have a great time!

Archived