Playa Corona Tar Spill

blyle

Playa Corona is closed due to a 500 gallons tar spill. The material has causes damage and since it is water soluble pieces are floating in the water. Would be interested in knowing which way the current flows. It is close to Chankannaab and other popular areas. Anyone know if other beaches are affected?

...is that there are no other beaches affected by the tar/asphalt spill other than Playa Corona. They have a "collector" of sorts floating offshore and that is keeping the spill contained.

Unfortunately, the reef at Playa Corona was damaged. In fact, the last I read was that 14 coral colonies were affected. My understanding is that there is an Eco group that is filing suit against the city council of San Miguel since they contracted the work to be done and are ultimately responsible for the supervision of the work done.

We spent a wonderful day on Thursday, June 24th, at Playa Corona. I know friends from the resort went on Saturday of that week and experienced no problem. This was over a week after the spill. I know that coral colonies were damaged but the beach club was operating in full swing and the fish and coral were beautiful.

We didn't even see the "collector." :confused:

Judy

I know the article for the week of June 21 says no marine aquatic activities near the spill. I was aware of the article before we left the states. All I know is that we were there on Thursday, June 24 and a group of four from Casa del Mar were there on Saturday, June 26 and Playa Corona Beach Club was in full operation. :D

They could not fix us frozen margaritas because they did not have electricity, but we enjoyed margaritas on the rocks and delicious fajitas. We, along with many others, were in the water there, and I could not find the "tar collector" that I had read about before leaving the states.

Playa Corona is our favorite spot to snorkle on Cozumel due to the sand bag zero entrance. Could the Insider be referring to someplace other than the club itself? :confused:

Seems someone on another board mentioned that Playa Corona was closed to all aquatic activity as well. Maybe they got it cleaned up. Maybe it wasn't the entire area. Dunno. Glad you had a good trip, though.

It was mentioned on one or more of the Cozumel message boards. I was expecting to find Playa Corona closed. Much to my surprise, it was open for business and the area inside the roped off area was full of fish. The coral off to the right after entry was a beautiful as ever. :)

Like I said earlier...I looked for the automatic "collector" that I had read about, but it was no where in sight. Things could have changed since we were there. :confused:

Wish I could go back tomorrow, but I will have to settle for one day in November. :cool:

Judy

Archived