Taking kids out of school to cruise..

Jeads323

We took a family cruise every year from the time my kids were in early elem. school. I always wrote a letter well in advance to have it " approved" and the teachers always sent home make up work before hand. The school/ teachers weren't always happy about it but I felt because my kids were excellent students and made up all their work it shouldn't b a problem. They learned so much during our trips that they could have never learned in school. My children r now 26 n 23. My 26 year old had her masters degree by age 23. My 23 year old has a great job ( he chose not to further his education) and bought his 1 st home at age 21. I say go for it and have fun!!!!

DD is a college Sophomore - majoring in Math and Econ, deans list. Graduated top of her high school class (of just over 300). She has always taken her schoolwork seriously and has always had to work for her grades.

We traveled extensively with her throughout her childhood (cruise and land). Usually during the school year because her school (1) really did not take that much time off, and (2) her school's schedule and my DH and my schedules did not mesh up well -- DH's busy season was summers. Mine was from just after Thanksgiving through early April.

The school district had guidelines for taking time off, which we always followed. She "made up" the work before and during the trip - and often came back ahead of the class when they did not cover as much as the teacher had planned to cover.

Grade school and Middle school - we travelled. After freshman year our travel was for sports and band. She was in several AP classes and college classes, But her coaches and the band directors did a great job of carving out study time during trips. It helped instill discipline in the kids. She and two fellow band students who were in Calculus II through a local college during a band trip midway through their senior year had their own study group and also were the tutors for the other kids for math.

• Know your kids - can they afford to be out of school?
  • Set and enforce expectations
  • Know and adhere to your school system's regulations

I will 100% be taking my daughter out of school (if needed) for us to be able to enjoy family vacations and for her to see the world. I used to teach and I firmly believe that a visit to another country and having new experiences is far more educational and relevant than most of the things they learn in school (outside of basic skills). Due to illness I missed two full years of school (one at age 8 and one at age 13) and half a year at age 15. I did some catch up work at home but not that much considering what I had missed. I still managed to very well in my exams and went to university etc etc. Missing a week at any age isn't going to make that much difference. Even less so when they are that young. I've never heard anyone say they regret going on vacation in favour of a week in school! In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. Go enjoy!

As others have said know the rules. In my district, they add up ALL absences, excused and unexcused. Too many and no promotion. How many sick days do your children have? The absent days for the cruise may be the deal breaker.

We just went on a cruise in Feb. for our son's senior trip. His teachers were very understanding and he received his homework assignments before we left. He had AP classes and did his homework on the planes and the boat. Best cruise he has ever been on!! Not a lot of kids, though, so you do have to consider that. But he hooked up with a nice group of boys and had a blast. He just graduated 2 weeks ago with honors.

I have also taken out my kids for a cruise in September several years ago and had no problems.

If I were you, I would not be concerned.

I taught high school math for 30 years. I never objected to kids missing my class to vacation. I provided all the work ahead of time. Problems happened when the child could not teach themselves the material. The student could not make up the work until it was taught. When the student returned without the skills he missed, I would need to put in many additional hours after school, on my own time, taking time away from my own children, to provide the student with the lessons he missed. Yes I realize no one thinks teachers have a life beyond the classroom. But really why should my kids suffer because yours went on vacation?

If your child is a good student there isn't a problem. If the child is a poor student it can be very hard to catch up.

As a parent now yes I would take my children out of school for a family vacation, and we are doing so in April. Although my oldest will be in preschool so I don't have to worry this time, my sisters son will be missing 10 days of first grade for this cruise.

When my child misses school for a family vaca I will be the responsible parent and talk to the principal, teacher(s) and whomever else I need to talk to before hand to make sure this is a smooth, easy process for my child to complete the work needed to stay on track and enjoy and spectacular vacation. Its my responsibility as a parent to ensure my child has the work needed and actually completes it before they return back to school.

My sister and I were also privileged to miss 7 days while we were in high school to go on our first cruise (I was in 12th she was in 11th). We made sure we had what work our teachers wanted us to do, we had to write a report on educational things we learned while on the trip per our principals request, and we made up tests as needed once we returned during home room or lunch. All of our teachers were more than willing and happy to help us through this. We did not regress, we did not forget what we learned prior to going on the cruise (we went early February), and all was well when we returned.

Did going on a cruise while missing school impact my work ethic? Teach me its okay to miss to go on vacation? Absolutely not, if anything it increased my work ethic to show me we had to work hard for things we want in life.

SO go ahead and take your kiddos on a cruise anytime you want, if its during the school year just give yourself time to coordinate with the school/teachers and help your child stay on track!

Elementary school is the best age range to miss school, assuming your kids are doing good in school. High school is the WORST time.....

I think traveling is a good life experience...and a great learning experience, too. Go for it....it will not ruin their future, I promise.

Absolutely, yes, please, let your kid experience the world! Sorry, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, school is a child's JOB. That is crazy...a child's job is to learn, to experience, to learn THROUGH experience. So many kids are NOT learning in classrooms because there are so many kids that don't fit the dynamic of a child who can sit for 8 hours a day and then come home and do homework. Our adopted 2 year old will never function in a regular classroom...trauma from his mom's pregnancy means he never sits still and is stubborn as a mule lol. He would be a "problem child" from the beginning. Kids are made to touch, to move, to learn by trial and error, to experience things first hand. Of course, school is very important and my children will always know the importance of learning.

But, my son learns about how his muscles work by racing the cheetah at the zoo, he learns about math by baking with me in the kitchen, he learns about history when we visit another country and go on a tour through the countryside. Boys in particular are put at such a disadvantage in our current learning system.

Of course, if your child is going to miss weeks for illness or surgery, or is really struggling, it's shouldn't be a blanket truth. But it blows my mind that people would value 5 days in a classroom in KINDERGARTEN so much that they would tell a Mom not to take her on a trip that would allow her to spend an amazing, quality week with her children.

We used to take our son out of school for 2 weeks a year every year until he got into 4th grade and we switched to a Houston public school. Texas schools are not forgiving or understanding - they lose money for absences. I've had friends get threatened with social workers and taken to court for truancy. For taking their kids to Walt Disney World in one case, and for sending a daughter to Europe for her (British) father's wedding, which my friend was required to do by court order in another! The public schools are aggressive here in Texas.

So, I've quit doing it for now. It ups the appeal of private school or homeschooling to me. I am a firm believer in travel broadening a child's horizons and teaching them things they couldn't learn in a classroom.

My long 2 cents.

The question is what do you value and how do you practice it. You looking for comfort and redemption from others that they do as you want to do and things turned out okay. Looks like you got it :D

The tradeoffs are always Parents schedule, children's schedule, priorities, dollars and "values".

Vacations off peak time are always cheap, lots of people find ways to justify it this way

Vacations off peak time for parents sometime makes for "easier" to schedule. I personally work in a place where we really almost work 7x24 and I love cruising for the fact I cut the cord. I never have found it a problem to vacation during vacation time. These things just take more long range planning. It's a priority and I am willing to pay higher price for airfare, hotel, food, deal with the crowds. etc.

I love how people always talk about how they did it and their kids achieved what ever it is they are proud of. But the bigger question what do you value and do you practice to those values.

What are your priorities and what do you want to compromise?

Edited by chipmaster

My long 2 cents.

The question is what do you value and how do you practice it. You looking for comfort and redemption from others that they do as you want to do and things turned out okay. Looks like you got it :D

The tradeoffs are always Parents schedule, children's schedule, priorities, dollars and "values".

Vacations off peak time are always cheap, lots of people find ways to justify it this way

Vacations off peak time for parents sometime makes for "easier" to schedule. I personally work in a place where we really almost work 7x24 and I love cruising for the fact I cut the cord. I never have found it a problem to vacation during vacation time. These things just take more long range planning. It's a priority and I am willing to pay higher price for airfare, hotel, food, deal with the crowds. etc.

I love how people always talk about how they did it and their kids achieved what ever it is they are proud of. But the bigger question what do you value and do you practice to those values.

What are your priorities and what do you want to compromise?

I value God and family, honesty, respect, and a strong work ethic. I value getting my job done on time and getting it done right. I taught my kids that family time is as important as getting the work done they were assigned from their teachers and getting it done right and in the time frame they were given. Taking a cruise during the school year did nothing to compromise those values, especially at the elementary age. I am not justifying our vacations during that time. There is no justification needed because our priorities and values were just fine. My kids, now 18 and 21, are living proof that these values and priorities worked for our family. I wouldn't change a thing in how I brought them up and I am very proud of the young adults they have become.

I value God and family, honesty, respect, and a strong work ethic. I value getting my job done on time and getting it done right. I taught my kids that family time is as important as getting the work done they were assigned from their teachers and getting it done right and in the time frame they were given. Taking a cruise during the school year did nothing to compromise those values, especially at the elementary age. I am not justifying our vacations during that time. There is no justification needed because our priorities and values were just fine. My kids, now 18 and 21, are living proof that these values and priorities worked for our family. I wouldn't change a thing in how I brought them up and I am very proud of the young adults they have become.

GOOD FOR YOU I'm glad it works for you and the need to share it to everyone.

Since we are sharing or views. Its pretty simple for us too. We have chosen not to take our children out of school. Matter of principle and teaching "example" you can have your cake and eat it too. Now have my kids skipped, yup. Never for "vacation" We don't believe that age or grade really matters, should it? Its a matter of principle!

1) Parents B-day milestone

2) Close friends wedding

3) National competition

Vacations we've discussed this and thru our tradeoffs we are pretty happy with how they have turned out too.

Everyone has their own values and compromise and judge it what they are :D

Edited by chipmaster

Since we are sharing or views. Its pretty simple for us too. We have chosen not to take our children out of school. Matter of principle and teaching "example" you can have your cake and eat it too. Now have my kids skipped, yup. Never for "vacation" We don't believe that age or grade really matters, should it? Its a matter of principle!

2) Close friends wedding

3) National competition

Vacations we've discussed this and thru our tradeoffs we are pretty happy with how they have turned out too.

I think that's so funny. I have always taken my kids out of school for vacations and they have never skipped on their own whereas yours has (by your admission). OP go on your vacation spend precious quality time with your children and don't worry about a thing. They will turn out great! For the record my kids are 19 (he attends USC full scholarship), 17 (high school) and 9 (4th grade). We have a seven day cruise planned for the end of January and one for Feb 2017.

2) Close friends wedding

3) National competition

All good. I disagree with your assumption that people are compromising their values and principles by taking their kids on vacation during the school year. Your values and principles may not be same as someone else's and just because they are yours doesn't mean they are the only acceptable and right ones out there. Those who don't agree with your values and principles are not compromising on their values and principles. My example to my kids was one of getting the their school work done by the due date and getting it done right. To me that was what was important and that was the principle of the matter. Sitting in a class room vs being on vacation....not so much the principle of the matter for us. Especially in elementary school where I was easily able to help them learn what was missed outside of the class room. BTW what makes your exceptions above "Birthday Milestone, Wedding, National Competition" anymore worth while for a child missing class than time spent with their family if that is when the family can do it? Just curious as it sounds like "justification" to me and a little hypocritical on your part.

I think that's so funny. I have always taken my kids out of school for vacations and they have never skipped on their own whereas yours has (by your admission). OP go on your vacation spend precious quality time with your children and don't worry about a thing. They will turn out great! For the record my kids are 19 (he attends USC full scholarship), 17 (high school) and 9 (4th grade). We have a seven day cruise planned for the end of January and one for Feb 2017.

Just USC, maybe why not Harvard or a real school... :D

Be careful your "values" are showing!

All tongue in cheek folks ;)

Come to a vacation thread and ask is it okay to take a vacation. Got to ask why you got to ask?

You not sure if you should do it?

You know you shouldn't but it is less crowded, cheaper, dang what a deal.. but ... so you seek affirmation from others that they did and their kids are great, go to USC ?

For better or worst I am to close to too many tiger parents. I've seen the all range of parenting and achievements. Really good parents with multiple kids know that family values and traditions play a big part in shaping kids. It is comically the lack of security that brings people out to have to say my kid did this or that... We all know the best of parents/family can produce high and low achievers and vice versa to. What do people who question what they should do find here that make them feel better?

As to vacation versus say my father or mother in-laws 70 or 80 B-day or my sister's wedding, or say National competition to put in the same league as 4 times a year vacations ( take them at Christmas, Spring Break, beginning and end of summer, NOPE do it by taking my kids out of school) ...laughable... you really want to debate they are the same?

Statistically I know well the demographics of USC, Stanford, Cal etc. etc. Funny how Stanford and Harvard end up with skewed students compared to USC for example. Lots of research and articles about those "groups" that statistically dominate those top schools and STEM and medicine ... but that is completely another and different discussion...

All tongue in cheek folks ;)

Come to a vacation thread and ask is it okay to take a vacation. Got to ask why you got to ask?People come to a Family Vacation thread to get advice on it. It is not all black and white like you want to make it. There are some kids that can't handle being taken out of school and some that can. There are some school districts that allow it and some that don't. There is nothing wrong with getting advice from other parents who have done it.

You not sure if you should do it?

You know you shouldn't but it is less crowded, cheaper, dang what a deal.. but ... so you seek affirmation from others that they did and their kids are great, go to USC ? Why do you assume they "know they shouldn't"? Just because you believe it is wrong doesn't mean it is. Again what is wrong with seeking advice from parents who have done it with their own kids have their own kids experiences to share. You seem to have an issue with parents with kids who prove your dire predictions for their future wrong.

For better or worst I am to close to too many tiger parents. I've seen the all range of parenting and achievements. Really good parents with multiple kids know that family values and traditions play a big part in shaping kids. It is comically the lack of security that brings people out to have to say my kid did this or that... We all know the best of parents/family can produce high and low achievers and vice versa to. What do people who question what they should do find here that make them feel better? Advice from parents with kids who did what they are asking about. That advice can go both ways but it gives the parents something to think about when looking at their options and it could give them information on things they need to do like checking the schools policies and making sure the child is willing and able to make the missed work up.

As to vacation versus say my father or mother in-laws 70 or 80 B-day or my sister's wedding, or say National competition to put in the same league as 4 times a year vacations ( take them at Christmas, Spring Break, beginning and end of summer, NOPE do it by taking my kids out of school) ...laughable... you really want to debate they are the same?All "justifications" on your part. The parent's reasons for not being able to vacation during the times YOU think they should are just as valid as your reasons for believing your exceptions are good enough to miss school. I have one word for you here: Hypocrite.

Statistically I know well the demographics of USC, Stanford, Cal etc. etc. Funny how Stanford and Harvard end up with skewed students compared to USC for example. Lots of research and articles about those "groups" that statistically dominate those top schools and STEM and medicine ... but that is completely another and different discussion...

Really?? :rolleyes: rs45thompson congrats to your son for his accomplishments.

I can't believe how sanctimonious some of the posters on this thread are... but it's cruise critic on a hot topic, never mind, yes, I can. :rolleyes:

Clearly for some of you, following "the rules" regardless of who those rules were made by, is a black and white issue with no middle ground. Some of us don't see following rules as a moral issue, particularly when the rules were created by individuals with complex motives.

I wouldn't bring anecdotal evidence into this, except that it is already being used as examples in this thread. Let's be clear here. I was raised by a single mom. We traveled when her job would allow it, and often would tack a vacation on to her business trips. I went to top prep schools, a top university, and a highly ranked MBA program. With merit scholarships. (I'm now spending my time arguing on cruise critic as a stay at home mom, so maybe I'm no longer a great example ;).) Taking vacations during the school year never hurt me at all, and broadened my perspective on the world. Probably helped me write some of the more interesting essays that helped me get those scholarships for higher education, and into top tier programs. You don't honestly think the top schools want cookie cutter students who follow rules unquestioningly do you?

Could I have done that if I hadn't taken vacations throughout my school career? Well, probably, but here's the deal. I couldn't have traveled as much growing up if we hadn't gone during the school year. I was an excellent student; I always made up all my work, often in advance. I never got behind because of our vacations. But we were constrained by money and time, so we explored the world when we could.

Traveling during the school year is not right for every family. It certainly isn't for any family that has members who somehow make it into a moral issue. It also may not be right for older kids who are in demanding programs, or any program that is extremely demanding for the child (which isn't exactly the same thing), with teachers who don't have the resources or inclination to help your child keep current or understand the material. Some kids can learn from books they take with them, others really do need it explained by someone who really understands it.

It really should be a personal choice based on your circumstances. No one understands your family as well as you do. Certainly not random strangers on cruise critic. Trust your own instincts. Will your child's school help you or try to hinder you? Will your child catch up on missed work easily, or will you all be so stressed worrying about it that it will hurt the vacation?

The responses have been rather sanctimonious on both sides. If your child can handle the absences and you as a parent assist in making sure teachers know ahead of time, then go ahead and vacation when you want. Doesn't matter what other people think or for that matter- what college your kid winds up attending.

I asked a similar question on another site some time ago, and EVERY reply was helpful and reasonable. Even if not everyone was in agreement. Anonymity on this board allows some people to be rude, overly judgmental, and sometimes over the top with examples of just why their point of view is right.

Do what you feel is best. What you can live with and afford. Period.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I'm taking my K and 3rd grader out of school for 11 days for a drive to port and cruise I'm doing it during school because it is cheaper than at other times. We are a lower middle class, and can not afford too many vacations at other times of the year.

I would not do it when our oldest gets 6th grade and older. It will be too hard to miss that much school.

We used to take our son out of school for 2 weeks a year every year until he got into 4th grade and we switched to a Houston public school. Texas schools are not forgiving or understanding - they lose money for absences. I've had friends get threatened with social workers and taken to court for truancy. For taking their kids to Walt Disney World in one case, and for sending a daughter to Europe for her (British) father's wedding, which my friend was required to do by court order in another! The public schools are aggressive here in Texas.

So, I've quit doing it for now. It ups the appeal of private school or homeschooling to me. I am a firm believer in travel broadening a child's horizons and teaching them things they couldn't learn in a classroom.

Well, you're definitely right about Texas. Our son went to private school, but keep this in mind....private schools can dismiss (expel) for any or no reason at all and there is no recourse. At least in the public school system there is a bureaucracy and process of sorts you can go through. Not so with private schools. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't send my dog to any school in HISD. My son is nearly 30 years old and we decided when he was age 5 to put him in private school. The schools here were that bad even back then.

We never took him out of school for vacations or cruises. Just not worth the risk and repercussions.

Edited by lovesublime

We never took him out of school for vacations or cruises. Just not worth the risk and repercussions.

The only repercussions one should be most caring about is what your values you stand for and what you are willing to compromise on. I'd like to believe people do things sometimes because of other's rules but mostly to what you whole to value and practice. :D:rolleyes:

Edited by chipmaster