Thursday Island

cruisesoon

Any suggestions what to do on this stop to Thursday Island? We like active type excursions. Can't seem to find many tours. We are on Azamara Journey and they are offering just 2 excursions. Need suggestions!!!!

Just the experience of going ashore at Thursday Island would be an adventure in itself. You are very lucky as most ships are too big to call there.Very small population, mainly consists of a base for the pilots who guide ships through the Torres Staitl.

Any suggestions what to do on this stop to Thursday Island? We like active type excursions. Can't seem to find many tours. We are on Azamara Journey and they are offering just 2 excursions. Need suggestions!!!!

what are the excursions on offer?

You are so lucky being able to cruise to Thursday Island. TI is only one island of 274 islands in the Torres Strait, a really beautiful region.

Google Grand Hotel TI which lists tours.

What you can do is only limited by how long you will be in port.

I enjoyed the solitude and colour of the water of Friday Island reached by local ferry.

• 5 months later...

Thursday Island bus tour is run by Peddells. It is AU$32 (US$24) except when a cruise ship comes in when it suddenly jumps to US$69.95 on Azamara (?69.95 Sterling if you booked it from UK!!!!)

Big rip off.

Not a lot to see on the island but the fort & museum are interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is the port walkable?

any beach/ snorkel available?

we will be there late January 2018

The Fort and musium are on top of a hill, and bearing in mind the heat and humidity, better get a ride. Swimming, snorkling in crocodile infested waters is not recommended, hence all the signs with Achtung Warning on them.

Is the port walkable?

any beach/ snorkel available?

we will be there late January 2018

Yes you can easily walk around the small township. What day will you be in Thursday Island? If it is a Sunday, I recommend a church service where you will be privileged to hear the beautiful singing by Thursday Islanders.

Ahhh...it is a Sunday...February 18th!

What time should we try to be in town?

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

Aren't you lucky!

I don't remember the time, but members of the congregation had lunch after the service. It is only a very small town so you could walk to the church around say 9 am then walk around the town, if you are too early.

The Anglican All Souls and St Bartholomew Church was built in early 1900s in memory of those who lost their lives on board the Quetta which hit an uncharted rock in the Torres Strait in 1890. If you google "quetta all souls memorial church Thursday Island" you will see photos of this historic church and this tropical area.

BTW I took a couple of those small, high bouncing, balls to give to the children.