Dining in Specialty Restaurants (I hope an easy question)

Shawnino

We have only eaten in the MDR for dinner once - and had the most delicious Châteaubriand with Béarnaise sauce we have ever eaten. Anywhere! Our favourite place if not eating in one of the speciality restaurants (and BTW we hate Toscana!!) is the Terrace Café for dinner. You can get grilled lobster there and wonderful salads... It is a buffet restaurant and if you don't like that - then the MDR is the place to go.

Also try the MDR for lunch. Amongst other things they do "A taste of..." various countries. Their Greek "taste" and Indian "taste" were superb.

I should have mentioned interested in the the La Reserve dates

Similar to excursions, the dates and times are specific to each sailing. So to see what they are currently offering for La Reserve you shoudl log into your booking to see what is offered. WHEN they appear varies but perhaps 120 days, 90 days. Note that they can offer more once on board depending on demand and staffing.

You make some interesting posts. I guess I'm too busy on my cruises to conduct surveys. I do have to say after double digit trips on Oceania, and multiple times of dining with GM's, Captains, Social directors, Oceania Club hosts, etc. I've never heard this concept or idea.

Must be a brand new thing,(I only got back from my last cruise less than a month ago) or maybe I didn't ask the right questions. You'd think if they wanted to change the public's perception the first thing they would do is change it on the website as this is many people's first perception of the cruise line when they are new to it. I just checked on the website and nowhere do they use the term "themed", but multiple uses of Specialty.

To me "themed" sounds like something you would hear on NCL or Royal Caribbean.

I'll ask about this on my Marina trip in Dec.

Themed conjures up Rainforest Cafe. Lol

Not the Oceania we know and love

The only themed food on Oceania is when they have a themed ethnic buffet eg indian, Mexican, Italian

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you make reservations for

the specialty reservations online before final payment or do you need to wait until after payment is made? I'm not sure if you need to call Oceania to make those dinner reservations.

Can you make reservations for

the specialty reservations online before final payment or do you need to wait until after payment is made? I'm not sure if you need to call Oceania to make those dinner reservations.

Reservations can be made after final payment on the website. Very easy. :):):)

After final payment for Specialties. Reservations can be made on line under My Account. Read the guide lines there for exact timing.

Some La Reserve bookings open up around 180 pre cruise, even before final payment.

Reference walk ins at Specialties. On our last two fully booked cruises, the Specialties would NOT accept walk in reservations requests. Everything done via the Reservations desk and by protocol. On our cruise that wasn't anywhere near full, they were more flexible. Don't count on being allowed to get walk up reservations!

I am considering taking an Oceania cruise for the first time, not even been on an NCL ship. Solo traveler. Have clocked over thousand days on other cruises. How does solo traveler fit in with specialty restaurant dining? Is it easy to be placed with others at larger tables? Or sitting by oneself? Do you have to request your specialty dining events prior to the cruise online?

This is a 35 day cruise I am planning to take and would hate to battle for one or 2 reservations a week. Thanks for enlighten me.

When making dinner reservations there are three options. 1. Date 2. Time 3. Sharing table with others? As a single traveler always opt for sharing and you’ll be placed with others.

Your cabin status will define how many Specialty Restaurant reservations each you are guaranteed on your cruise. If you want extra, there is a sign up table to request reservations for that day.

...and the OP returns with another hopefully straightforward question:

We pulled the trigger on a 2019 booking, largely thanks to the great info here.

Roughly how far in advance do La Reserve reservations open?

I get the sense that's not an event we can afford to miss.

Dining with others couldn't be easier. As Pinot said, when you make your specialty reservations say you are willing to share. They will put you together. I remember on our first Oceania cruise eons ago, we had dinner in Toscana with two single travelers -- one was one of the lecturers on board, the other was a single woman.

It's just as easy in the main dining room -- tell the maitre d' when you go up to the desk that you want to share. Sometimes when my husband and I have wanted to share we ended up at a table for two just because there weren't sharing tables available ... NOT because there weren't any, but because they want to seat people within 5-10 minutes of each other. But I'm sure they would try harder for a single traveler.

You won't have trouble either in Terrace (but buffet restaurant) if you are the kind of person who can go up to an occupied table and ask if you may join them. I'm not very good at that but I suspect that someone who usually travels alone won't have a problem!

Have fun!

Oceania also often has get togethers for the solo travelers so that they can meet each other.

Mura

...and the OP returns with another hopefully straightforward question:

We pulled the trigger on a 2019 booking, largely thanks to the great info here.

Roughly how far in advance do La Reserve reservations open?

I get the sense that's not an event we can afford to miss.

Shawnino, you pay for the reservation when you book it so there isn't a particular date when you "may" make a reserevation. For 2019 they probably aren't open yet, but I made our La Reserve reservation for our November cruise last spring. Just keep checking at "My Account".

Mura

I am on a cruise in April 2018 through the Panama Canal and final payment is not due until next month. But two of the La Reserve menus opened up last week right at 180 days and we were able to book the one we wanted. So keep watching for them with your reservation. Julia

Yes. They have the specific name like the Discovery Menu when you chose. Then the calendar opens up and you see what day it is offered. There are now 4 total with the new addition but only 2 were listed at this time. One was the one we wanted so it worked well for us. It is a great experience. Julia

Thanks.

Do they specify the menus on the La Reserve reservations so you can avoid booking the same menu twice?

when you go to MY ACCOUNT

then manage this booking

click on the dining tab then La Reserve

It will show what menus they are offering on your sailing

then click on the one you want for the date they will be doing that menu

add it to the cart & make the payment

you're done