what is your opinion?

mamieof3

Hi All! I have heard nothing but disparaging remarks concerning Progresso from friends that have visited this port. But, these are the same folk that thought Costa Maya was a bad port. My DH and I consider our visits to Costa Maya the most fun we have ever had 'doing nothing' at a port. By doing nothing, I mean, finding a spot on the beach, planting ourselves all day long, enjoying lots of drink :D and delicious food, and excellent service, with very reasonable prices, and, of course, the mandatory hour long massage. We found that the further down the beach in Costa Maya we went, the less crowded, the better the prices, the more attentive the waiters. Have you found this to be true in Progresso? I have read a lot about sitting out in front of Buddy's and having never been to Progresso, I don't know how far down the beach Buddy's is but I have to say, DH and I have found the more press a restaurant gets, the more crowded it is. And, often, the smaller, less known places 'down the beach' are just as good but not nearly as crowded. With your knowledge of Progresso, what is your opinion and if you agree, do you have a recommendation? I am looking so forward to visiting this port on my next 2 cruises!!! Thank you :)

My main problem with Progreso is the fact that we are always innundated with vendors on the beach. They are continuous and relentless. Not agressive and a simple no is all it takes but as soon as one leaves there is another to take their place. On one cruise my daughter and I tried to sit on the beach and read but we couldn't because we were constantly interrupted. On a later cruise my hubby and I ended up just walkingway down the beach away from the pier and we finally got far enough away that we could sit on the sand and relax a bit. As far as bars or restaurants I don't know. We also like to take the double decker bus ride ($3) when we arrive to help get us familiar with the town and what is out there. We usually end up taking a tour through Autoprogreso so we aren't in town too long but other than the vendors Progreso has been an ok stop for us.

mamieof2 I wonder if this is a problem on a private beach excursion? I'm going to have to take this dd bus tour :)!

Hi Bubbles :) if I were a bettin' woman (and I am :D) I would think you would not have a problem with constant vendors on a private beach. Usually private beaches have their own little market area/vendors but much fewer and you stop by their display instead of them coming to you. But, with that said, I don't know this to be fact for Progresso. I have been reading posts all morning about Progresso, and I am thinking we may just take the DD bus tour, get off at the beach and just walk until something grabs my (our :)) interest. If nothing does, then we may just grab a taxi and go to the DZ ruins/cenote. From what I have read, it is only around 21 miles outside of Progresso. So, that makes it very doable, I think. I definitely know I won't 'plan' an excursion of any sort - the first time to any port, I like to just roll with it and get a feel for the area. I do hope one of the guys that are experts on this area - I think I remember their names/monikers as Lawson and Terry&Mike - reply to this thread, I think their knowledge of the area along with their ability (by their replies) to decern what people are looking for, whether it be reasonably or unreasonably, will give us a clearer idea on what to expect. I don't think people check the Ports boards as often, so we may be waiting a while - we will see. :)

mamieof2 I wonder if this is a problem on a private beach excursion? I'm going to have to take this dd bus tour :)!

I've been told they aren't a problem on the private beaches which is why we are doing an excursion to the Reef Club with Autoprogreso when we return there in a couple of weeks.

We have been to Progreso a number of times..Last time we took a private cab to Merida, directly from the cruise dock for $70 total for 4 of us, as opposed to the ship bus tour for $49 PP..You can't drink beer on the way on the bus tour either..We had a great driver , who took us to the square in Merida ,and waited for us , had a great lunch at a neat restaurant, and just thouroughly enjoyed it. Just a suggestion..:)

I would like to know some good places as well. I'm going in with an open mind having never been to Progresso. Anyone? :)

2en7ygz.jpg

1zwzpmv.jpg

2l8hend.jpg

I've been told they aren't a problem on the private beaches which is why we are doing an excursion to the Reef Club with Autoprogreso when we return there in a couple of weeks.

Let us know how the Autoprogresso Reef Club excursion is as we are going there on the Elation in Sept and are considering this one..

Thanks!!

I have to agree with others that have posted here in regards to the 'pushy' vendors in Progresso. Usually a simple No will get the point across and they will no longer bother you. Now, you may have to say no, to several vendors. Still, they will not bother you (or they didn't us) after that.

I can't say too much about doing things on the beach there. We live on the beach here in Pensacola, Florida -- So it isn't a 'must do' for us. We took a Mayan tour back in 2009 at Dzibilchaltun, and really enjoyed it. The coach ride was not that long and we were able to see a lot fo the ruins for a longer period of time, rather than take an hour long coach ride to be rushed through at other ruin locations.

Now, is Progresso the most beautifal port in the Western Caribbean? Of course not. However, I don't think it deserves the bashing it takes from so many.

And to me. With the power of the internet an the thousands of websites you can do research on these places before you visit. You should know by the time you get there what to expect, honestly. And hey. It's your holiday. Roll with it and enjoy it while it lasts. It's not work you know.

Archived