21 day Carry-on - have you done this?

RCNslr

In the style of the late Don Horner, but not as good as he did it, we will attempt to do our 21 day cruise stay with carry-on bags only. It is a challenge, and given the rules (18 lb max on flights in Europe) means that our "extras" will be left at home. since the weather will be cool it makes it easier to wear a sports jacket onboard the plane (no packing) and .... cut out all frills. have any of you done this?;)

Do it regularly on business trips. I avoid checking anything it at all costs. Especially when you have laundry it is a no brainer.

Can ft two suits, one casual slacks, one dress slacks, one pair dress shoes, plus 4 shirts, 1 casual shirt and 5 days of under clothes/socks. Meds plus a small emer kit (Advil, lomotil, bandaids etc..). Wear casual clothes, plus sneakers/walking shoes. Even had my Surface Pro PC in the carryon.

On a Riviera Med Cruise we both did a 14 day with a carryon. -- 21 just means another large bag of Laundry.

DW had a backback where our Meds were plus camera and other misc.

Yes and we still over-packed. It is easy on O because of the "country club casual" dress code. We get plenty of OBC so we send out dress shirts, slacks and blouses frequently and will use the self-service laundry a few times for socks and underwear.

For the flight to/from the ship we wear jackets/sweaters then fold them up after boarding.

I have been on many round the world trips in the past with carry ons only. 1 briefcase, 1 Lands End shoulder bag carry on. (Now I would opt for a wheelie bag carry on...) Sometimes two climates (autumn in Japan, summer in Oz etc!) Stayed for a couple of nights in each place and colour coordinated everything. Navy trousers, navy skirts and tops to go with navy. Could go from office to dinner etc with just a "tweak" of costume by adding a silk scarf, pashima etc. Doing this is easier on the ships because of the laundry service and the laundrettes available. Still it isn't something I relish for a cruise!

Yes, I do it routinely on 4-8 week trips of which 10-16 day cruises are a part. I would have absolutely no issues with doing it on a 21 night cruise, and probably will do it on a 36 night cruise next year. FWIW, I am single and male. 21" rollaboard and small Pacsafe backpack.

Depending on the airline and your class of seat, most allow 2 carry-on items. Check the airlines carry-on policy. For some airlines, the second bag is almost the same size as the standard carry-on suitcase.

We have done most of our travels with carry-on only. Not sure about our upcoming 21 day cruise with an extra week before/after.

Hope this helps:

Have I done it? Yes

Have I done it with wife? No Freakin way. There are battles I will fight but, restricting my wife cloths, shoes, etc. on a vacation cruise is not a battle I will ever win :)

Cheers,

John

Ain't that the truth. Could never happen for me.

I haven't found it necessary on a cruise, as the baggage is handled pretty well by the staff.

However I've done 5 weeks in Europe with carryon, in which most of the space was used by cameras and recording equipment. You just need a plan for the laundry, and not to worry about wearing only 2 outfits for 5 weeks.

Despite the weight rules in Euro airlines I've never had them mess with me over carry-ons. I just don't let the agent spend a lot of time looking at the bags. (And certainly when you see what gets carried on in Africa and South America, there's no reason to worry!)

What a wonderful bunch of folks you are with humour, advice (good), and a can do attitude. The cruise is the trick to this with using the laundry service ( we have tons of OBC) as you have advised me. Our euro air is German and Swiss, so we do expect an eagle eye on our luggage. We travel business class, so this might help. Regrettably my wife has Alzheimer's and the fewer things I have to track for her makes it easier, so I will do the carryon and bless her she does not complain. BTW ball caps are ultra vires other than Sirena caps which will be removed when in ladies company, Churches, dining places and anywhere else they might offend. Thus one cap only, but I giggled at the choice suggestion!

Thanks, we leave tomorrow for Barcelona to join ship Friday, all your good advice was gratefully received.:D

We have done three weeks with a carry on each. It was land, so no fancy. One Issey Miyake black dress, two jeans, 10 tees. One extra pair of shoes. Underpants. I don't wear makeup. Husband, two jeans 10 tees, one extra pair of shoes. It can be done.

My question is why would you bother? It gets down to spending a bit of time at the airport waiting for your luggage versus a lot of time spent in the laundry.
I send out laundry. And there are so many other reasons for a carry on. Disembark when you want. No lost luggage. And the latest example, in Copenhagen when I disembarked Marina last month, taxi queue to airport was 20 deep and one taxi would only arrive every 5 minutes or so, hence a 1-1.5 hour wait. I walked to the train station instead of waiting with the added plus that I got in some exercise on a travel day when I otherwise would have not. I met up with a couple from the cruise with only carry on who were doing the same thing, although they weren't sure where they were going. Having been to Copenhagen a few times, I acted as guide. We had a wonderful visit as we walked to the train station. Nice thing is, the walk actually goes through all the nice parts of town.

My question is why would you bother? It gets down to spending a bit of time at the airport waiting for your luggage versus a lot of time spent in the laundry.

Not to mention lugging your suitcases through the security, airport terminals and maybe even changing terminals.

It is my unfailing curse to ALWAYS land and leave from the furthest gate at every airport. Some of these treks are very long and I am glad I don't have to lug my carry-ons.

Then you have the fight over space on the plane with everyone carrying their kitchen sinks to avoid charges for luggage. Not for me.

As always, YMMV

PS The poster above mentioned using public transport with one's carry-ons. Well, not everyone is up to walking to the nearest station with luggage, regardless how scenic the walk is. European public transport/subways are not always handicap friendly and that means pulling your luggage up or down some stairs. Again, not my preference. It works for some but not all and everyone needs to decide about their preferences and abilities - which vary from person to person.

Edited by Paulchili

Not to mention lugging your suitcases through the security, airport terminals and maybe even changing terminals.

It is my unfailing curse to ALWAYS land and leave from the furthest gate at every airport. Some of these treks are very long and I am glad I don't have to lug my carry-ons.

Then you have the fight over space on the plane with everyone carrying their kitchen sinks to avoid charges for luggage. Not for me.

I completely understand. it never fails, I get the gate assignment for my connection, check it against the airport map, and my reaction is always "*&^%$%&$* because the gate I need is in the next county. You would think the law of averages would mean that at some point I will get a nearby gate assignment. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not going to try to pack in a 21 inch carry-on. There is never room for it in the overheads. But I have gotten tired of feeling like a pack mule with a small case and my oversized "purse". I recently was entranced by the 15-16 inch underseat carryon rollers, and bought two, one for me, and one for DH plus luggage bungees to strap the "purse" to it. I look forward to our first trip with them next year, walking that mile to the gate, with nothing on my shoulders and a tiny roller behind me.