Use OBC for Cuban Visas purchased on board?

Lobbylin

We have quite a bit of OBC so just wondering if we can use part of it to cover on board cost of Cuban Visas that the ship arranges for you? The visas are $75pp

Anyone managed to do this....

Thanks Linda

Certainly in Cambodia a few years back the Visa costs were debited to my onboard account and that account was covered by OBC but rules might have changed. I couldn’t see anything that said you could not do what you planned

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect, thanks!

Azamarajunkie, I have read that you need to select a “tourist reason’ from 12 options for that Cuban visa. Is it okay to do a ships tour on day 1, then just get off and wander around on your own in Havana in day 2? We have 2 half days there, so thought we’d do the ships “3 hr classic car tour” on the first afternoon, then stroll on our own the next day.

Is all the Cuban visa paperwork completed on the ship or do you need to provide any info in advance. Read all the Azamara info faqs and there is a lot to take in!

Thanks Linda

Perfect, thanks!

Azamarajunkie, I have read that you need to select a “tourist reason’ from 12 options for that Cuban visa. Is it okay to do a ships tour on day 1, then just get off and wander around on your own in Havana in day 2? We have 2 half days there, so thought we’d do the ships “3 hr classic car tour” on the first afternoon, then stroll on our own the next day.

Is all the Cuban visa paperwork completed on the ship or do you need to provide any info in advance. Read all the Azamara info faqs and there is a lot to take in!

Thanks Linda

We had the form sent to us in advance, however they were being handed out at Check In before boarding. No need to provide advance info. We did a private tour on our first day to the Vinales Valley in an old Plymouth then wandered around Havana on our own on the second day. You don’t need to do an Azamara tour. And we didn’t keep any receipts as some people have said, neither have we been asked to provide any evidence of People to People interaction.

As the cruise was my second time there I walked around fir two days, saw the ballet building, lovely, spa posh hotel,for bathroom. The capital mtemole and Havana Rom building, Second day it rained for about two hours, but walked around and had lunch with live music. I would do a car tour in your own as less money than ship. Take a taxi to the old National Hotel have a coffee or a drink, meal and enjoy the view,

Just bring new money to change to their money. Carry tissues and you are all set

My reading of the applicable CFR regs indicates the Treasury Department can request proof of your reason for travel for 5 years after your trip. I'll hang on to my receipts/emails regarding my trip next month just as I do old tax returns/documentation, just in case but with the hope and expectation that it will be shredded at some point. Your reading of the CFR may differ, so do what makes you comfortable. We are planning on doing a private tour on day 1 and more self guided stuff on day 2 with meals and listening to music on our own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Just back from the Quest voyage to Cuba over Thanksgiving. OBC was not permitted to be used for the Cuban "visa". There was a lot of confusion, and anger, aboard about touring on your own, ability to get off or stay off the ship on your own and if or when you had to do a ships tour. It was the opinion of many we talked to that Azamara was forcing people to do their tours unnecessarily. We filled out the affidavit stating our reason for travel was to "Support the Cuban people", hired a private guide who was not affiliated with the government or military, made reservations and ate in paladars, listened to music in private clubs, shopped in private stores, and had many "meaningful interactions" with Cuban people. We had a wonderful time in Havana! I am confident our activities satisfy the letter and spirit of the regulations. I will keep records of my activities for 5 years, as is required by the regulations.

Just back from the Quest voyage to Cuba over Thanksgiving. OBC was not permitted to be used for the Cuban "visa". There was a lot of confusion, and anger, aboard about touring on your own, ability to get off or stay off the ship on your own and if or when you had to do a ships tour. It was the opinion of many we talked to that Azamara was forcing people to do their tours unnecessarily. We filled out the affidavit stating our reason for travel was to "Support the Cuban people", hired a private guide who was not affiliated with the government or military, made reservations and ate in paladars, listened to music in private clubs, shopped in private stores, and had many "meaningful interactions" with Cuban people. We had a wonderful time in Havana! I am confident our activities satisfy the letter and spirit of the regulations. I will keep records of my activities for 5 years, as is required by the regulations.

I am going to Cuba on Oceania December 21 and booked in September. With the new regulations we are only allowed to get off the ship if we are on an approved tour. I am quite upset about this.

When did you book your trip? If you booked in May or earlier you should have been on the old regulations and should not have had any problems.

I am going to Cuba on Oceania December 21 and booked in September. With the new regulations we are only allowed to get off the ship if we are on an approved tour. I am quite upset about this.

When did you book your trip? If you booked in May or earlier you should have been on the old regulations and should not have had any problems.

The grandfather date is June 16th, the date Trump announced restrictions to travel would be coming. That is only for the "people to people" travel license. We booked after that date, and used the "support the Cuban people" reason for our travel. If you are using that license and book a tour with a private guide, making sure you are complying with the regulations and endeavor to have meaningful interactions with Cuban people, you should absolutely be able to do your own tour, eat in private restaurants, and engage with the Cuban people on your own. In fact, if you read the regulations and the examples posted on the Treasury Departments website, a tour isn't required at all. See posted below. We did find it helpful to have a day scheduled with a guide and he was so open to our questions and informative and interesting to talk to, that I would highly recommend anyone use our guide. We wouldn't change a thing about our experience. We booked through Tours by Blexie and our guide was George. blexie100588@gmail.com. Blexie is a professor in the language department at the university and George was one of his students.

§ 515.574Support for the Cuban People.

(a) General license. The travel-related transactions set forth in § 515.560© and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people are authorized, provided that:

(1) The activities are of:

(i) Recognized human rights organizations;

(ii) Independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; or

(iii) Individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; and

(2) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

Note to § 515.574(a):

Each person relying on the general authorization in this paragraph must retain specific records related to the authorized travel transactions. See §§ 501.601 and 501.602 of this chapter for applicable recordkeeping and reporting requirements.

Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license.

Thank you so much for that.

Would it be possible for you to contact me at staplers101 at yahoo dot com?

I'd prefer to answer questions here so that others might benefit from our discussion and I don't share my personal email address lightly. Sorry.