Newbie to river cruise

namllots

Good morning,

I only have experience with ocean cruising and would like to book a river cruise to Russia. Could you please tell me which cruise has a balcony off of the room. Also, my wife and I are in our early 40's. I've read many comments on hear about age being an issue when deciding on a cruise ship. Any advice or helpful tips you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Good morning,

I only have experience with ocean cruising and would like to book a river cruise to Russia. Could you please tell me which cruise has a balcony off of the room. Also, my wife and I are in our early 40's. I've read many comments on hear about age being an issue when deciding on a cruise ship. Any advice or helpful tips you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Many of the boats in Russia do have balconies - in the higher category cabins. Viking, Uniworld, AMA and Scenic all sail in Russia - but there are others such as All Russia. If you pop over to the river cruise Roll Call section, there is a long thread for Russia in 2012, and another one for Russia in 2013.

I am not sure what you mean about "age being an issue". I think it is only an issue if you really want to travel with passengers of the same age. If this is the case, then you may find river cruising a bit of a challenge. However, I do believe that there are some threads on the average age on river cruises, so perhaps a search of the site may help here.

DH and I are in our mid/late 50's - and tend to be on the younger end of the spectrum... but it has never been an issue for us. We have found that the passengers on river cruises tend to be very well travelled, and do not need the "glitz" of evening entertainment (shows, gambling etc) to enjoy the cruise.

We did a Russian river cruise in 2012 with Uniworld... and it was amazing.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Fran

We always think of river cruising as a fairly independent way to travel. True you will be sharing a table at dinner with your ship mates but really you can have a fairly intimate cruise with your wife on a river cruise.

BTW, the 2 best experiences I ever had sharing a table were with Aussies.

One was a woman that spent WWII in a Japanese POW camp with her mother in the Philippines while her father was imprisoned in Singapore. They were British subjects and she did not know the status of her father until autumn, 1945. Her life was saved by a US nurse that was imprisoned after being captured at Corregidor. The Brits immigrated to Australia after the war.

The other was a gentleman who had been imprisoned in Prague, first by the ****s and then by the Soviet army but escaped and made his way to a DP camp run by the Australians and immigrated.

We spent the rest of the cruise dining every night with the gentleman from Prague and his wife.

Never would have met them had we not shared that table! Amazing stories from that generation.

Good morning,

I havent done any Russian cruises, we did our first river cruise with Avalon in August last year from Budapest to Amsterdam, but just talking about the ages of passengers, we had a few in their 40's, alot in 60's up to 80+, plus a few in their 50's like us, we felt is was a great mix of ages and we never found it to be a problem, we made friends with people of all ages. The walking trips etc had the majority in the normal tours plus one group of slow walkers, I'd say they'd only have ever been about a dozen in that group.

Our cruise included alot of Australians (mainly becasue there was a group of 46), some Americans, Canadians, British , New Zealanders and a couple from Mexico...we thought it was a great mix too.

My daughter and I took a Russian River Cruise last July. I'm in my 40's and my daughter was 20. We had an amazing time! While most of the cruisers were in the 60+ catagory, I was surprised by the number of younger passengers. Our tablemates were two ladies in their mid twenties and there were a few couples in their 30's, 40's and 50's. Don't let age be a factor. Russia is amazing and our cruise was one of our best decisions EVER! Memories to last a lifetime!

My pictures and journal of Russia:

http://lisaaroundtheworld.weebly.com/

Archived