Has anyone been to P.V., Manzanillo, Mazatlan, and Cabo mid-late February?

anteaters

I'm a grandmother going with my daughter and my two granddaughters 12 and 15 on Princess in mid to late February. We had thought about snorkeling at least once but my impression (correct/incorrect?) has been that the temperature of the ocean at these ports would be pretty cold without wet suits to be able to enjoy snorkeling. Can anyone advise me? Also, I've read that Cabo is great for whale watching excursions at that time of year. Any advice besides the Princess excursions where it is either the zodiac (I think too rough for me) or a ship that holds a couple hundred people (sounds crowded)? Oh, and from reading another thread, my impression is that we can go out at these four ports on our own with only U.S. money and don't need to get pesos? Is this true even for using taxis or buses? Thanks!

Cold water, it’s never warm like the Caribbean. Weather wise it’s the nicest time of year to visit.

Zodiacs can get rough.

All those ports will take American but if you go out of the tourist zone, it’s best to pay in pesos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The water feels warm enough to us versus our San Francisco water. At least I feel refreshed going in the Ocean in February vs. October, when it doesn’t even feel refreshing. Just got back from a Caribbean cruise to Aruba, et cet, and the temp of the water onboard the ship and in the ocean felt too warm, just like bath water. Dollars accepted everywhere.

Can see whales from the ship along the way.

I'm a grandmother going with my daughter and my two granddaughters 12 and 15 on Princess in mid to late February. ...Also I've read that Cabo is great for whale watching excursions at that time of year. Any advice besides the Princess excursions where it is either the zodiac (I think too rough for me) or a ship that holds a couple hundred people (sounds crowded)

We were in Cabo in early February and yes, it's whale watching season! We had a fabulous time with Whale Watch Cabo, and I highly recommend them. Very professional and well-run operation. No need for a zodiac (no sun protection); their panga boats (with cover for sun protection) are great. Here's their web site:

http://whalewatchcabo.com/

We had an amazingly lucky morning, following a mama humpback and her three-week old calf, who was just learning how to breach. Baby could only get so far out of the water, then mama showed baby how it's done.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Cabo water temperature is definitely too chilly for snorkeling in mid-late February, but the whales are definitely available. I recommend the Rissalena, small comfortable yacht that holds a maximum of 24 people. $55.00/person open bar and full home cooked lunch.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g152515-d1098515-Reviews-Rissalena_Cruises-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

I don't agree that the water is too chilly for snorkeling in Cabo in February. I snorkel in Cabo every winter and love it! That is why we go there [emoji177]

Everyone has a different definition of chilly. Not as chilly as the Pacific Ocean for sure. The thing for the OP to do is google average water temperatures and see is it will work for them.

Cabo San Lucas average February sea temperature

Max: 22.7°C / 71.9°F

Avg: 21.5°C / 70.7°F

Min: 20.3°C / 69.5°F

These figures are calculated from several years of recorded data and are the maximum, minimum and average temperatures of all the recorded years

Average February sea temperatures

Hope this helps

Candi