Passengers on pacific Sun disembark at Brisbane cause of illness

Anyone know about this? I just saw on the news that some passengers got a gastro illness while on board Pacific Sun on the Queensland cruise and they had to get off at Brisbane. And they are demanding their money back, as it has cut short their cruise.

It just said on the news that crew on the ship are disinfecting and cleaning everything.

I hope it is not a repeat of the illness on Pacific Sky. I was on Pacific Sky Christmas cruise 2003 and a lot of people got sick because of gastro illnesses.

Anyone know about this? I just saw on the news that some passengers got a gastro illness while on board Pacific Sun on the Queensland cruise and they had to get off at Brisbane. And they are demanding their money back, as it has cut short their cruise.

It just said on the news that crew on the ship are disinfecting and cleaning everything.

I hope it is not a repeat of the illness on Pacific Sky. I was on Pacific Sky Christmas cruise 2003 and a lot of people got sick because of gastro illnesses.

According to the Port of Brisbane website the ship left basically on time at 6.10 pm this evening. Didn't see anything on Channel 7 news this evening. I had heard that there had been a number of cases of gastro on board over the last couple of cruises though.

While it's unfortunate if something has happened and people have been off loaded in Brisbane, it might be good wake up call for P&O who have appeared to get a bit lax on the issue of passengers' personal hygeine (at least on our cruise on Pacific Star they were). Of particular note was the absence of the tradional squirt of hand sanitizer on entry to the dining rooms.

Kym

I briefly saw the news and caught a glimance of it, was wondering if it has left brisbane as scheduled tonight, i leave on friday we have packed all our preventative meds etc, just hope its not delayed.

I never heard of anyone having gastro on our cruise,we got about 3 warnings of preventative ways to not get it pushed under the door.There was gel at the start of the buffet line but I think I was the only one that knew what it was for!There is no notice put up near it.

I was on cruise 616. There was a couple of people on this cruise that said they were stuck in the cabin for a couple of days with Gastro..Hope they give you a free cruise good luck....We have all been sick here with a really bad flu like system ever since we arrived home. A lady that we meet on the cruise was also very sick when she got home with flu like systems and i rang her last night she ended up with Gastro as well...Wonder if we caught something maybe from the Islands. Or it was the ship....On the way home on cruise 616 there was quite a few people coughing and sniffling...

my parents just called my attention to it on a news break. so i just checked the webcam and it says it is still at brisbane.

hope this doesnt make it late for those leaving on friday.

Port of Brisbane ship movement website had it's actual departure time from Pinkenba listed as 6.10pm - I'd say they just haven't updated the webcam text.... Also, if it was still sitting at Pinkenba you can tell even in the dark as there is a lot of light there. I've got some photo's that I took at 4.30 am the morning we arrived back in Brisbane and you can clearly make out the wharf area.

Did they say on the news whether they'd taken ALL the passengers off in Brisbane or just the sick ones?

I was on cruise 616. There was a couple of people on this cruise that said they were stuck in the cabin for a couple of days with Gastro..Hope they give you a free cruise good luck....We have all been sick here with a really bad flu like system ever since we arrived home. A lady that we meet on the cruise was also very sick when she got home with flu like systems and i rang her last night she ended up with Gastro as well...Wonder if we caught something maybe from the Islands. Or it was the ship....On the way home on cruise 616 there was quite a few people coughing and sniffling...

It's not uncommon to come back off cruiseships with cold/flu symptoms - comes from extended time in enclosed airconditioned space with lots of people. On all 3 cruises I've been on (all at different times of the year) I've come back with a runny nose or sore throat. (think it's past my bedtime since I actually typed runny knows and saw throat there!)

Gastro is more serious - and that's why you have to sign the forms at the start of the cruise saying you haven't had vomitting or diarrhoea leading up to departure, in an attempt to control it, it also spreads very quickly in a confined space - hence passengers being quarantined to try and limit the spread.

Port of Brisbane ship movement website had it's actual departure time from Pinkenba listed as 6.10pm - I'd say they just haven't updated the webcam text.... Also, if it was still sitting at Pinkenba you can tell even in the dark as there is a lot of light there. I've got some photo's that I took at 4.30 am the morning we arrived back in Brisbane and you can clearly make out the wharf area.

Did they say on the news whether they'd taken ALL the passengers off in Brisbane or just the sick ones?

It seems like only those who wanted to have left the ship. Approximately 60 have been sick but who knows how many left the ship, maybe those who live closer to Brisbane than Syndey anyway.

Whoever took this onboard either didn't know they had it or they falsley filled out that form before they boarded. I imagine some of those who are sick maybe just seasick if they haven't got the gastro. I'm sure P&O are doing all they can.

P&O recommend having seasonal flu vaccinations, which my family has done. Hopefully we will avoid that illness at least but I suppose other than washing hands a lot there's not much else you can do to avoid the gastro bug.

Archived