Antigua on our own?

macy

Hi,

We are sailing the Southern Caribbean and will only have one sea day during our 7 day cruise. I was considering spending a short amount of time in Antigua on our own, maybe for shopping and to look around and then returning to the ship to spend the majority of the day.

Can you tell me if there is anything to see in Antigua near the dock? Is there shopping right there? I feel like we might need a break mid cruise from excursions and maybe this would be the time to do it. But, I do want to get off the ship so that I can see a little bit of Antigua.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mary

Well you really won't get to "see" Antigua by just going into St. John and that is a shame as this is a really beautiful island. Actually one of my favorites on this itinerary.

However, to answer your question.... we headed (we had car) to the church on the hill (you will see it from the harbor) as my best friend loves old churches. This one was definately unique and the all girls school across the street was just beginning choir practice as we walked up. They did not mind us strolling in (there were others) and it was really pretty neat. There is a cool craft market in town and shops by the pier (same ole - same ole that is by EVERY pier).

I am sure there must be other stuff in town but we headed out right after the church and did a big circle as the island is small and basically one main road goes all around.

Since this is one of your favorite islands and a beautiful island at that, maybe we will rethink this and do some type of an island tour for the day.

The church and school sound neat, but I know that my DH would not want to rent a car....I'm not sure I would either in an unfamiliar country. Thanks for your response.

Mary

Mary: Have hear of others getting a taxi driver for the day.... right at the pier. That way you would have all the benefits of seeing Antigua without the hassle of driving.... you say where, for how long and when..... AND IT IS CHEAPER THAN CRUISELINE TOUR.

We loved Antigua.... rural countryside with beautiful vistas over each hill.... and Fig Tree Drive was amazing and I have been on lots of canopied roads.... people were awesome - very friendly (especially when it is more one on one and not a whole herd of people piling off a bus). This is why we "do our own thing" whenever we can.

Let me know if you have any questions.... tex

Texancruzer: Thanks for the suggestion. I have already contacted Gordon (local tour operator) with some questions and for a price of the tour. This is our 5th cruise and we usually do our own tours. Once in a while we throw in a ship's tour if I'm a little nervous about time or something.

We have always enjoyed each and every port and I think that they are all beautiful.

I just thought this might be an exhausting cruise with 6 ports and 1 sea day and was looking for another day to spend on the ship. Maybe St. Thomas, since we were there 2 years ago.

Thanks again for all of your help...it certainly helped me decide that we don't want to stay on the ship.

Mary

I just thought this might be an exhausting cruise with 6 ports and 1 sea day and was looking for another day to spend on the ship. Maybe St. Thomas, since we were there 2 years ago.

Thanks again for all of your help...it certainly helped me decide that we don't want to stay on the ship.

Mary

Well, it is all a matter of opinion....but if I COULD stay on the ship (which I can't) I personally would skip St. Thomas - - - not Antigua.

PHINFAN63: You know... it all depends on what is important to you.... and what you are doing on the other islands....

We personally like to "see" the islands and can usually manage to do that AND HAVE BEACH TIME. On Antigua we spent @ 3 leisurely hours at Long Bay before taking the tour in a big circle as the one main road goes in a big circle around the island. So with careful planning you can have some beach downtime and explore.... it is up to you. Just keep reading and plan carefully. Then be flexible.

we were ther in Feb on Carnival Destiny negotiated with driver at end of dock I would see some of the island get together with 2 other couples they took us for $15.00 per person went to church, a couple of beaches other side of island :)

Texancruzer - Did you do both of these on your own and how? I would llike to do a land tour seeing Nelson's, Shirley Heights, Fig Tree and St John's Church if possible -and then spend a few hours at a nice beach. Preferably one we can either snorkel at or just enjoy the beauty. Any suggestions from what you did? Thanks!

Santa : Yes we did this on our own. We rented a car thru Hertz ahead of time. We dont like cruiseline excursions - too crowded and too $$$$

We headed up to the church - then over to Long Bay for some beach time - then south to Nelsons Dockyard and then in a bit to Fig Tree Drive - then west again to the coast and up the coast to the ship.

If you would like specifics - timeline etc. let me know.

It is very doable..... planning is the key and then be a little flexible if time gets short. We do alot of exploring when we travel.... to me that is the fun of it. Also get to meet the people since you are not on a bus with 50-60 other people and they are much more receptive and friendly this way.

We also rented on St. Maarten and drove all over the island. Shopped in Marigot with lunch and had a couple of hours beach time at Orient Beach.

Archived