Not A Cruise Question, but a Pre-Cruise / Broadway Show Question

Musicals and plays are definitely a personal preference as you note below. It also depends if you are looking for something new, something recent, or a classic.

From the New category:

A Band's Visit is the best reviewed new musical on Broadway right now and almost everyone I've talked to has loved the show. I saw it off broadway and found it beautiful and charming but really really slow... The critics have been eating this show up for almost two years though and it should be in the running for the Tony. Frozen just opened with okay reviews. I'm not interested in seeing the musical but it is hugely popular. Carousel and My Fair Lady are coming back to Broadway. Classics but with all new productions. I'm seeing Carousel next Thursday and My Fair Lady some time in the summer. Be aware that My Fair Lady is at Lincoln Center. Mean Girls is in previews and opens this week. It's got some buzz going right now and is the last of the big new musicals to open before the Tony's. I'm not sure Escape from Margaritaville or Spongebob or Once on this Island (the latter being the only one getting any sort of good reviews) will make it to October.

From the Recent category:

Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, and Come From Away are the best of the shows that are still around from the last two years. Good luck getting tickets... Hamilton is just an amazing modern musical. Dear Evan Hansen is the tear jerker with beautiful solos. Come From Away is the heartwarmer musical.

From the Classic category:

Wicked is no longer selling out so you can actually get decent tickets. I've always loved Kinky Boots and they have a revolving stunt casting so there's always someone non-broadway famous in the show. Book of Mormom and The Lion King are always wonderful.

If you want to take a chance, Pretty Woman is coming this summer and King Kong should be in previews when you get here.

Hope that gives you some ideas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great info!

I laughed at this since I was wondering the same:

"I'm not sure Escape from Margaritaville or Spongebob or Once on this Island (the latter being the only one getting any sort of good reviews) will make it to October."

So much great info here! Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great info!

I laughed at this since I was wondering the same:

"I'm not sure Escape from Margaritaville or Spongebob or Once on this Island (the latter being the only one getting any sort of good reviews) will make it to October."

So much great info here! Thank you!

The Play That Goes Wrong was very good and funny. We enjoyed it. Just an FYI to confirm it’s real, we won Hamilton tickets from the lottery twice. Front row seats for $10.00 each. We still enter daily.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for a great summary, Spree75. (I'm a Broadway fan/queen, myself and agree with just about everything)

Got2Cruise,

PLEASE wait until you sail on NCL to see Margaritaville (I'm certain it will be featured aboard their big ships within 2 years). Not necessarily because it's bad (which can be a matter of taste) but mainly because there are much more special only-on-Broadway experiences to be had given limited slots.

I echo last year's hits, Dear Evan Hansen and especially Come From Away. ...Although Come From Away is a small show and, although beautifully staged (its director won the Tony) - it's light on the spectacle. If you're looking for something larger-scaled and lusher, I'd think about the My Fair Lady revival at Lincoln Center, perhaps Anastasia, or Wicked (or Frozen)

If you want to do discounts, the most well-known route is the TKTS booth. If you want to go that route, (1) Use an app (there are a few) or online site to see what's likely available before getting in line. (2) Go to an alternate site, other than Times Square. (Brooklyn, South Street Seaport, and Lincoln Center) to skip the humongous lines. Note, that the newest and most popular shows are unlikely to be available.

For same-day tickets, there's an app that offers similar discounts and will typically deliver the tickets to you in front of the theater, it's called TodayTix and is highly recommended.

There are also discount codes that you can use when buying tickets online that typically offer 30-40% discounts. I'd check the Playbill Club and TheaterMania sites (google 'em) for the codes 60 days or so in advance.

Also Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Tickets From Broadway dot com. It's an unscrupulous broker site that buys search presence and links that look like the official site but aren't. Not that you usually need a broker, (They've existed for years and provide a service to legitimately earn a fee). HOWEVER Broadway-dot-com (I refuse to type it out to turn into a link) charges a HUGE fee, preying on those not savvy to the usual avenues.

...However, their backstage videos and supplementary material can be great.

Edited by MarkBearSF

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all (especially New Yorkers) ~

I am arriving on 10/20 for 10/21 cruise. I want to see a show while I am in NYC. I just want some feedback on shows you have seen. They all can be quite pricey...so an educated decision is to be made. :rolleyes:

While the "themes" can be a personal preference (which I understand), I am just looking for overall opinions. I am looking at "Escape to Margaritaville" which is fairly new (and not so good reviews?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There's two ways to do this. You can pick ahead of time and know what show you are seeing, OR you can try and get walk up tickets the day of (which is how most of my friends have seen Hamilton, whereas I waited nine months from purchase to viewing).

There's really a countless number of options, Playbill and Broadway.com would have a lot of info on all the shows. Wicked is always one of my personal favorites, Hamilton was good, Waitress, Dear Evan Hanson, Phantom, my fair lady is opening soon, pretty woman is opening this summer i believe.