What to do in Tokyo

4774Papa

We are booked on the Around Japan cruise with Celebrity Century and plan some days in Tokyo precruise.

First, what is must see, also day trips outside Toyko?

Second, recommend a reasonable hotel, prefer something not exceeding $200 per night.

Get the tourist guide books from the hotel. It tells you what train / subway to take and which stop to get off. Me and my wife were there in 2011 and were able to tour on our own. The only tour we had was the Mt. Fuji one. Take the high speed bullet train return option.

Hi,

We are booked on the same cruise, and we do have a roll call already.

Mt fuji from shimizu is a port we will be stopping at, so no point doing that from tokyo.

Day trip to nara?

A city tour would be good, its spring time, checking out cherry blossoms at ueno park, tokyo museum, or temples at asakusa, or electronics and anime shopping at akihabara, or loads of shopping at ginza, shibuya, shinjuku, tokyo bay area museums and s howrooms, disney sea...

We will be staying 6 more days post cruise just to check out all we are interested in.

Hope to meet u soon

Gwen

We are booked on the Around Japan cruise with Celebrity Century and plan some days in Tokyo precruise.

First, what is must see, also day trips outside Toyko?

In case it helps, from a land-based stay in Tokyo I did this :

In Tokyo

Kamakura, about 30 miles from Tokyo

Mount Fuji area, about 62 miles from Tokyo

All the best, Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Tokyo offers very little for the tourist. I'd go to Kyoto for the ancient culture and Japanese gardens.

It is wonderful if a tourist has time to visit Kyoto, but please do not discount Edo (Tokyo). We have our own history, customs, culture, cuisine and dialect here. We also have a number of fine Japanese historical sites, great museums, and Japanese gardens.

I would also second the recommendation of the Keio Plaza. It is no longer a great hotel, but for the price it is certainly a good hotel - within easy walking distance of Shinjuku station, a central hub for transportation choices. (You can get practically anywhere from Shinjuku). My recemmendation would be - never eat at the hotel where a cup of (pretty awful) coffee can set you back $10. If you decide to stay there, there are plenty of inexpensive places near the station where you can get a good meal for a reasonable price.

There is plenty to do in Tokyo, if you research on the internet and determine your interests and where you want to go.

Kate

We spent 5 nights in Tokyo this summer and stayed at the Best Western Astina within walking distance of Shinjuku Station. The hotel is not fancy. The rooms are small but very clean. We got 5 nights for the price of 4 and breakfast was included. The breakfast was not fancy but enough to get us going in the morning. There is free wifi in the lobby.

If you are a baseball fan, check to see if there are any games while you are in town. We saw a game at the Tokyo Dome.

We spent 5 nights in Tokyo this summer and stayed at the Best Western Astina within walking distance of Shinjuku Station. The hotel is not fancy. The rooms are small but very clean. We got 5 nights for the price of 4 and breakfast was included. The breakfast was not fancy but enough to get us going in the morning. There is free wifi in the lobby.

If you are a baseball fan, check to see if there are any games while you are in town. We saw a game at the Tokyo Dome.

For those who are interested, there is a KRIsPY KREME at the Shinjuku Shopping Mall.

One NOT TO MISS is the Tsukiji fish market. Not only is it the world's largest fish/seafood market but it is one of the world's largest wholesale food markets (next to Hunt's Point in NYC). If you are at all interested in the worldwide food chain and how your food ends up in pink packages at a Supermarket, this is where it starts.

This is NOT a sightseeing trip. This is a trip to a REAL working fish market. AND there is no sleeping in. The market opens at 3AM and tourists are let into the auctions at 5AM on a first come, first served basis. There are often limits to how many tourists are let into the auction. 125 is the usual number. To see the fighting (although in very conservative Japanese style) over the tuna is almost as entertaining as watching the Hasidic Jews fight over $.01 per flat on peaches in Hunt's Point. Just to see the HUGE tuna unloaded and be amazed at the prices paid is mind boggling. It might be your day that a super prize Blue Fin is sold at the market. The record price is $736,000 which figures out to about $1250 per pound. NOT your average sushi house tuna.

Take a good yen to US conversion chart so you can realize the prices. XE makes a very nice one on their website than can be folded to credit card size.

Then you can wander the stalls of SOME of the wholesalers and all the retailers. And if you like sushi, there is nothing as fresh as the sushi at Tsukiji. The fish just came off the boat.

Just something a little different that most people do not ever do.

Tokyo offers very little for the tourist. I'd go to Kyoto for the ancient culture and Japanese gardens.

It really depends on what type of "tourist" you are.

In fact, if you are a traveler instead of a tourist, Tokyo is even better.

It's currently the biggest metropolis on earth at 35 million people - with no crime. How do they do that?

Are you a foodie?

The city of Tokyo alone has more Michelin Starred restaurants than France, the UK, and the USA combined.

Many of the best 3 Star restaurants in France closed there and moved to Tokyo.

Are you a gadget freak?

Today in Tokyo you can buy all the state of the art electronics that will be introduced in Europe and the USA in about 5 years time. Show a foreign passport and they are all tax and duty free.

Adventure?

You can climb Mt Fuji in one day and ride back to Tokyo on a Bullet Train.

Or you can go to the top of the world's tallest structure (Tokyo Sky Tree) for a few dollars.

Tokyo Disneyland is far bigger and better than the ones in Europe and USA. If you get bored, Tokyo Disney Sea is right next door.

Shopping?

Have you ever been to the world's most amazing Department Store, Takashimaya?

For a bit of international flavor, you can also visit one of the Harrods or Printemps Department Stores.

They used to call Ginza Japan's version of New York's 5th Avenue. Now they call 5th Avenue New York's version of Ginza. There are more high end shops in Ginza than anyplace else on earth. Show your foreign passport and all purchases are tax and duty free.

Traveler?

Using Tokyo as a base, you can buy a multi-day JR Pass for peanuts. This allows unlimited travel on any Japan Rail train. You board a bullet train at Tokyo Station every morning, and you can be in nearly any distant Japanese city by noon. Have lunch, do a bit of sightseeing or shopping, jump back on the bullet train, and you can be back in your Tokyo hotel for dinner.

Sports fan?

Japanese are baseball fanatics - and they play pro baseball 12 months a year. The baseball stadiums are state of the art.

Go to a Japanese Baseball game and you may not want to go back to an American one.

Sumo? One of the oldest sports on earth. There are 5 tournaments per year; three are in Tokyo.

We were in Tokyo for four days before coming home after our Med cruises last November. We did a Japan tour a few years ago so this time we just spent time as we wished in a very relaxed manner. Here are some pictures that I posted in my blog of our days if you are interested. Once you understand how to navigate the train and subway systems it's easy to explore Tokyo on your own. There is so much to see and do in Tokyo and I am sure we will go back for more.

• 4 months later...

I am looking for a local tour operator that speaks good English. My friend and I are arriving by ship and have only that afternoon and the next morning before we fly home early evening.

We have overnight on the ship. Would love to be able to arrange a drive around the city ... just a general orientation.

Next day the ship offers an excursion as follows

Meiji Shrine

Depart the pier for the approximate 30-minute drive to the Meiji Shrine. Dedicated to the Emperor Meiji, the father of modern Japan, this beautiful shrine stands in a dense forest glade in the very heart of Tokyo. The setting symbolises the separation of the spiritual from the worldly. Enter the shrine through twin, 40-foot-tall (12-metre tall) Torii Gates, one of the largest in Japan.

Asakusa Kannon Temple and Nakamise-Dori

Next, re-board your coach for the drive to the Asakusa Kannon Temple. Founded in the early-7th century, it is the oldest extant temple in the Tokyo. Enter through the Kaminarimon Gate, or 'Nitenmon', which is bedecked (weather-permitting) with a huge red paper lantern. Your guided tour includes a stroll down 'Nakamise-Dori', an alley lined with traditional vendors selling food, souvenirs and handmade crafts.

City Tour and Airport Transfer

Following your visit, re-board your coach for the approximately 70- minute transfer to the airport. En route, take a sightseeing drive through metropolitan Tokyo and the Ginza District, and past other landmarks in the city's centre.

If we could arrange the orientation for the afternoon and then the above for the next morning with someone local, that would be great!

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am looking for a local tour operator that speaks good English. My friend and I are arriving by ship and have only that afternoon and the next morning before we fly home early evening.

We have overnight on the ship. Would love to be able to arrange a drive around the city ... just a general orientation.

Next day the ship offers an excursion as follows

Meiji Shrine

Depart the pier for the approximate 30-minute drive to the Meiji Shrine. Dedicated to the Emperor Meiji, the father of modern Japan, this beautiful shrine stands in a dense forest glade in the very heart of Tokyo. The setting symbolises the separation of the spiritual from the worldly. Enter the shrine through twin, 40-foot-tall (12-metre tall) Torii Gates, one of the largest in Japan.

Asakusa Kannon Temple and Nakamise-Dori

Next, re-board your coach for the drive to the Asakusa Kannon Temple. Founded in the early-7th century, it is the oldest extant temple in the Tokyo. Enter through the Kaminarimon Gate, or 'Nitenmon', which is bedecked (weather-permitting) with a huge red paper lantern. Your guided tour includes a stroll down 'Nakamise-Dori', an alley lined with traditional vendors selling food, souvenirs and handmade crafts.

City Tour and Airport Transfer

Following your visit, re-board your coach for the approximately 70- minute transfer to the airport. En route, take a sightseeing drive through metropolitan Tokyo and the Ginza District, and past other landmarks in the city's centre.

If we could arrange the orientation for the afternoon and then the above for the next morning with someone local, that would be great!

Any suggestions?

I don't know if you found anyone; but we are using http://www.discover-japan-tours.com/en next March. I have communicated a lot with him, even on Skype. He speaks English like he was raised in the US. He seems like a great guy. We are using him for a Tokyo tour and transfer to the airport from the port.

We were in Tokyo in February and used Izumi from tours by locals. She was fabulous!,,,we loved her so much that we have hired her again for January 2015 for 2 days. She is flexible and will go anywhere you want to go. She will make suggestions as well. She even arranged and took us to a tea ceremony. You name it, it can be done with Izumi. The best part is she is very experienced and her prices are reasonable.

• 1 month later...
It really depends on what type of "tourist" you are.

In fact, if you are a traveler instead of a tourist, Tokyo is even better.

It's currently the biggest metropolis on earth at 35 million people - with no crime. How do they do that?

Are you a foodie?

The city of Tokyo alone has more Michelin Starred restaurants than France, the UK, and the USA combined.

Many of the best 3 Star restaurants in France closed there and moved to Tokyo.

Are you a gadget freak?

Today in Tokyo you can buy all the state of the art electronics that will be introduced in Europe and the USA in about 5 years time. Show a foreign passport and they are all tax and duty free.

Adventure?

You can climb Mt Fuji in one day and ride back to Tokyo on a Bullet Train.

Or you can go to the top of the world's tallest structure (Tokyo Sky Tree) for a few dollars.

Tokyo Disneyland is far bigger and better than the ones in Europe and USA. If you get bored, Tokyo Disney Sea is right next door.

Shopping?

Have you ever been to the world's most amazing Department Store, Takashimaya?

For a bit of international flavor, you can also visit one of the Harrods or Printemps Department Stores.

They used to call Ginza Japan's version of New York's 5th Avenue. Now they call 5th Avenue New York's version of Ginza. There are more high end shops in Ginza than anyplace else on earth. Show your foreign passport and all purchases are tax and duty free.

Traveler?

Using Tokyo as a base, you can buy a multi-day JR Pass for peanuts. This allows unlimited travel on any Japan Rail train. You board a bullet train at Tokyo Station every morning, and you can be in nearly any distant Japanese city by noon. Have lunch, do a bit of sightseeing or shopping, jump back on the bullet train, and you can be back in your Tokyo hotel for dinner.

Sports fan?

Japanese are baseball fanatics - and they play pro baseball 12 months a year. The baseball stadiums are state of the art.

Go to a Japanese Baseball game and you may not want to go back to an American one.

Sumo? One of the oldest sports on earth. There are 5 tournaments per year; three are in Tokyo.

Marvelous ideas thanks 1 million for sharing this wonderful post.

Mary-Lou

• 2 weeks later...

We recently spent a day in Tokyo prior to a cruise from Yokohama and used TFG - Tokyo Free Guides and were quite pleased. You fill out a form requesting a guide and if someone is available, he/she will be in contact with you via email regarding the plans for the day. All you pay is transportation, any meals and entrance fees for the guide in addition to your own.

We would have found the subway system a bit daunting without our guide's assistance and had a lovely day with her. The website can easily be found by searching Tokyo Free Guides. Just thought I'd present this as another option.

And we also stayed at Keio Plaza Plaza and agree it's an excellent location and overall nice, but very large hotel.

We recently spent a day in Tokyo prior to a cruise from Yokohama and used TFG - Tokyo Free Guides and were quite pleased. You fill out a form requesting a guide and if someone is available, he/she will be in contact with you via email regarding the plans for the day. All you pay is transportation, any meals and entrance fees for the guide in addition to your own.

We would have found the subway system a bit daunting without our guide's assistance and had a lovely day with her. The website can easily be found by searching Tokyo Free Guides. Just thought I'd present this as another option.

And we also stayed at Keio Plaza Plaza and agree it's an excellent location and overall nice, but very large hotel.

We will be staying at the Keio plaza. Is it a convenient location for subway and sightseeing? We will be traveling with our 2 year old.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We will be staying at the Keio plaza. Is it a convenient location for subway and sightseeing? We will be traveling with our 2 year old.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Right out one of the doors and not far at all. Enjoy! :)

That is one of the dumbest comments I have seen on CC

While I agree Kyoto should be on everyones to do list while in Japan Tokyo has much to do...

Have you ever been?

Re the OP's question - it depends on what you are interested in but in and around Tokyo I'd consider:

• Asakusa temple and markets
  • Ginza for shopping - both traditional Japanese department stores and global brands such as Zara
  • The Fish Markets - although if you don't make the cut early in the morning you cant get in til 9am - you can still visit the outer markets and eating places but the new restrictions have put a bit of a dampener on wandering around the working markets
  • A cruise up the Sumida river to Asakusa is always nice
  • Ueno for museums and the markets under the JR tracks
  • Akihabara for electronics and anime and some "interesting" cafes
  • Harajuku for fashion and cos play dress up
  • If into electronics then spend sometime in a BIC Camera or Yodabashi store

There's lots to do and see - as others have said its a huge, but very safe, metropolis with a very efficient and effective train/subway system

and as others have said you should try some of the restaurants and cafes - both Japanese and international cuisine...

Edited by Bodogbodog