Best beach to spend the day?

kimsy888

We are a group of 10 and would like to take a taxi to get to a nice clear water beach in St Marteen. Can you recommend a beach that is nice to visit with children (maybe with beach chairs and restaurants) and where we could spend half a day? I assume some beaches haven’t been restored after the hurricane?

And how easy is it to get a taxi (or taxi van) at the port with such a big group? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Based on my most recent visit, I would recommend Mullet Bay. It is very nice to visit with children and has plenty of umbrellas and chairs. There is no restaurant there, but there are some people selling bar-b-que right off the grill and drinks from a ice filled cooler. The beaches themselves are fine post hurricane, it is the shops and restaurants that are not back yet.

A taxi for 10 should not be an issue. Most taxis and busses can easily fit ten people. And you can arrange for your driver to come back and pick you up at a set time as well. Maho Beach is another option with existing restaurants and of course the planes, but the beach not big and I would not want to take little children there to have a beach day.

Kim Sha Beach is used by the cruise lines for their excursions, but it looked crowded when we drove past and there were only 2 ships in port that day. Simpson Bay Beach is also one that gets good reviews post hurricane, but I have not personally been there so I can't give a recommendation.

Based on my most recent visit, I would recommend Mullet Bay. It is very nice to visit with children and has plenty of umbrellas and chairs. There is no restaurant there, but there are some people selling bar-b-que right off the grill and drinks from a ice filled cooler. The beaches themselves are fine post hurricane, it is the shops and restaurants that are not back yet.

A taxi for 10 should not be an issue. Most taxis and busses can easily fit ten people. And you can arrange for your driver to come back and pick you up at a set time as well. Maho Beach is another option with existing restaurants and of course the planes, but the beach not big and I would not want to take little children there to have a beach day.

Kim Sha Beach is used by the cruise lines for their excursions, but it looked crowded when we drove past and there were only 2 ships in port that day. Simpson Bay Beach is also one that gets good reviews post hurricane, but I have not personally been there so I can't give a recommendation.

Thank you. Mullet Bay sounds like a good option. I looked at the pictures before the hurricane. Have yet to find any post Irma.

Are there any change room facilities by any chance? If not, it’s not a big deal but thought I throw it out there. :)

Take a water taxi down town and grab a few beach chairs. All come with umbrellas and usually a bucket of beers or waters. The water is great and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you’ll get a lot of people selling things just keep saying no. And there is a public bathroom that charges $0.50 to use. Overall I find this better than taking the 30-40 min ride to the other beaches.

Take a water taxi down town and grab a few beach chairs. All come with umbrellas and usually a bucket of beers or waters. The water is great and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you’ll get a lot of people selling things just keep saying no. And there is a public bathroom that charges $0.50 to use. Overall I find this better than taking the 30-40 min ride to the other beaches.

Sounds good.

What is considered downtown? Is there a name for it?

Thank you. Mullet Bay sounds like a good option. I looked at the pictures before the hurricane. Have yet to find any post Irma.

Are there any change room facilities by any chance? If not, it’s not a big deal but thought I throw it out there. :)

No changing room facilities and, as previously mentioned, only one port-a-pottie. Mullet Bay is not a beach where you will be pampered. It is more of a local beach that a lot of the cruise line people have discovered. There are, however, a fair number of trees and bushes that, along with a big towel and a little help, will give you some privacy for changing.

Thank you for the update on Mullet Bay! It is our favorite beach on St. Marten - so happy to hear that it is open AND has umbrellas, chairs, and food. The water is beautiful and in the past the beach has not been crowded. Food at Mullet Bay has always been "adventurous" but some of the best Caribbean BBQ we have had while cruising. Can't wait to visit in March!

I'd like to know too!

It's a twenty minute walk to the center of Philipsburg from the cruise pier - which is on Great Bay - there are a number of open restaurants and chair and umbrella rentals. The problem is the water is known to be polluted by run-off from the built up area around town. If you just want to sit on the beach: fine; if you want to swim, I would suggest taking a taxi to Mullet Bay.

It's a twenty minute walk to the center of Philipsburg from the cruise pier - which is on Great Bay - there are a number of open restaurants and chair and umbrella rentals. The problem is the water is known to be polluted by run-off from the built up area around town. If you just want to sit on the beach: fine; if you want to swim, I would suggest taking a taxi to Mullet Bay.

Ok. Thx. That’s probably the beach you can see from the ship when it docks on in Philipsburg.

How is maho after the hurricane? We're thinking of going there to watch the planes. How far is the drive from the port? Do they have actual taxis or just vans? Are there restrooms there?

What is an “actual taxi”?

St. Maarten taxi’s are van style taxi’s.

What is an “actual taxi”?

St. Maarten taxi’s are van style taxi’s.

I meant car. We are a family of 5 so we don't fit in a regular cab.

Do they have chair/umbrella rentals in maho beach? Clean restrooms?

I meant car. We are a family of 5 so we don't fit in a regular cab.

Do they have chair/umbrella rentals in maho beach? Clean restrooms?

I see. You will be fine with the taxi vans.

Right now there is no beach in front of Sunset so no umbrella rentals.

There is Beach and chairs at the other end of the beach at the Driftwood bar.

Decent washrooms at SunsetBar and Grill.

How is maho after the hurricane? We're thinking of going there to watch the planes. How far is the drive from the port? Do they have actual taxis or just vans? Are there restrooms there?

Maho Beach is recovering nicely. The two big things you will notice that the sand down by Sunset Bar has been washed away and there are big rocks there instead. The other 2/3 of the beach has lots of sand, however. The other thing is that the big planes do not come as frequently as they used to. You will see may 2 or 3 a day, where you used to see 10 - 12. The smaller prop planes are still arriving on a regular basis however.

How many fit in a van-style taxi? Are they metered or do we have to negotiate the prices before getting in?

The taxis will fit up to 12 people I believe and it is a set price from the port to Maho Beach - based on 4 passengers. If there are more than 4, and the drivers ALWAYS try to fill to capacity, then it will be a per person charge depending on the size of your group. Long way to say you will need to confirm a price, not really a negotiation since the price is set, prior to getting in the taxi.

i see. You will be fine with the taxi vans.

Right now there is no beach in front of sunset so no umbrella rentals.

There is beach and chairs at the other end of the beach at the driftwood bar.

Decent washrooms at sunsetbar and grill.

thx!

Maho Beach is recovering nicely. The two big things you will notice that the sand down by Sunset Bar has been washed away and there are big rocks there instead. The other 2/3 of the beach has lots of sand, however. The other thing is that the big planes do not come as frequently as they used to. You will see may 2 or 3 a day, where you used to see 10 - 12. The smaller prop planes are still arriving on a regular basis however.

The taxis will fit up to 12 people I believe and it is a set price from the port to Maho Beach - based on 4 passengers. If there are more than 4, and the drivers ALWAYS try to fill to capacity, then it will be a per person charge depending on the size of your group. Long way to say you will need to confirm a price, not really a negotiation since the price is set, prior to getting in the taxi.

Thank you!