Boarding Time

Solitarycruiser

Hello, average cruiser here.

We get on as soon as they let us...generally after 1 or close to it but we have also come aboard as early as noon.

After registration, we have lunch and wait for the suites to be cleared post cleaning.

That usually happens at 2 or shortly thereafter.

See you aboard!

We arrive at the cruise terminal @ 11:30 am (US or Europe) and find Silversea (often members of the entertainment team) are checking us in about noon. Like Spinnaker2 mentions above, we then head to La Terraza for lunch until just after 2pm when are suites are generally ready.

WE did board earlier than noon on one exception. We were waiting in the seating area of the the Ft. Lauderdale terminal and shortly after 11a.m., the Silversea agent called our names. We went up to the front desk, and she asked us to follow her on board. Unbeknownst to us our Travel Agent secured/paid for VIP boarding privileges for another one of their clients and me. Our suites were ready on boarding 45 min. early, with these privileges (surprise to us)we got free laundry/dry cleaning for the cruise (we both had not sailed 100 nites yet), and we found a card in our suite awarding us a complimentary dinner in Le Champagne (now La Dame) and a very nice bottle of champagne was gifted to us in our suite.

Edited by WesW

What time does the average Silversea passenger board their cruise?

Looking at your responses so far, it seems you are all saying that the "average" SS cruiser boards around noon. Official boarding time generally begins around 2:00. Are you really saying that average people board two hours before the official time?

Let me ask a different version of this question: is there any point at which you have noticed that boarding typically becomes more crowded? I would expect 2:00 to be the crunch, but I have no evidence. Anyone?

Looking at your responses so far, it seems you are all saying that the "average" SS cruiser boards around noon. Official boarding time generally begins around 2:00. Are you really saying that average people board two hours before the official time?

Let me ask a different version of this question: is there any point at which you have noticed that boarding typically becomes more crowded? I would expect 2:00 to be the crunch, but I have no evidence. Anyone?

Many lines, Silversea included, publish an “official boarding” time that is later than they actually start letting people board. Allows them some breathing room to deal with late port arrivals, slow disembarkation, customs/immigration issues, etc. It also somewhat cuts down on having 80%+ of the embarking passengers jamming the cruise terminal early in the morning. Having never boarded at the published time I can’t say whether or not there is a crunch at the official time. Boarding a Silversea cruise is not like boarding a mass market line with potentially several hundred if not thousands of embarking passengers.

Yes, average people often board two hours before the official time.

I don't think boarding is ever really crowded, the whole process is usually very smooth. I used find the hardest part was trying to hold my champagne glass whilst fishing for my credit card, but I now just have the card and passport out ready in my hand as I embark, no problem.

What time does the average Silversea passenger board their cruise?
We were on the Muse out of Ft. Lauderdale in March. The early posted boarding time was 2pm. As we were with family we didn't board until close to 3. There were maybe 4 or 5 other parties boarding but there was no line as well registered.

We are an average couple on our 1st Silversea cruise. I figured with a possible maximum of 596 passengers and an stated boarding window from 2-5, the crowd would not be large. I was correct and we went right through. My sister and her husband were a bit slower to board, but they were not going on the cruise.

As a side note, they filled in the form to join us on board before we left the port. We had a nice drink and tour and they went home and we stayed for a very nice cruise.

krnNdugD

Good morning, I took my first SS cruise last summer:D..........I sailed from Barcelona to Rome. I got to the ship

around 11 and yes, there were people already there.........I also recall only having to wait maybe 10/15

minutes and they let us board. So whatever "official time" is listed in the documents? I have been sailing on

mainstream lines for nearly 15 years. They all have an official time and there are always folks who get to the

port early and normally boarding begins way before the document says.

Oh, when I got on the ship last year, I remember exploring and not seeing a soul.......it was odd.......that is what happens on a small ship;). I am sailing again with SS in July out of Venice..........in this case I am having transport from SS to the ship. Not sure when they pick up at the hotel. Will find out in the next couple of months I am sure.

The last time we boarded in Venice it was a very long line on a very hot day.

That was the only time I have ever had to stand in line for a silversea cruise.

Many pax didn't have their printed tickets. That caused problems as the security insisted on seeing them.

The ship was not berthed in the modern cruise terminal but alongside and some distance from where we checked in.

It was, as I said, very hot.

No a/c. Disgruntled pax. Frazzled nerves.

We were there at the appointed time for boarding. It just wasn't a good process.

This is all so interesting! Thank you for the replies. On my cruise last month, our shuttle arrived around 12:15, and the only line seemed to be those of us getting off of the shuttle. Once onboard, juggling prosecco and credit card, we were directed to all 4 registration venues: the registration desk, the shore ex desk, future booking desk, and a 4th one whose normal function I've forgotten. It flowed steadily, and took less than 5 minutes total. Sounds like that's normal for SS, or maybe even rush hour :-)

Helpful info as I anticipate my next embarkation in Singapore next year.

The last time we boarded in Venice it was a very long line on a very hot day.

That was the only time I have ever had to stand in line for a silversea cruise.

Many pax didn't have their printed tickets. That caused problems as the security insisted on seeing them.

The ship was not berthed in the modern cruise terminal but alongside and some distance from where we checked in.

It was, as I said, very hot.

No a/c. Disgruntled pax. Frazzled nerves.

We were there at the appointed time for boarding. It just wasn't a good process.

Hoping for a better outcome!!

Oh wow.......:eek:

Well, I am staying at a hotel that SS must have ties to or something. I trust the gal who is helping me as I have known her for many years. She said SS has transportation from The Bauer to the ship. I was not planning to spend another 150.00 to get to the Whisper:eek:...I mean if I have to and it is the only way to get there, I will but it was not something I had planned on doing.

Getting around in Venice is pretty easy. But add luggage to the mix and it's a different story.

We also took a water taxi to the ship in Venice. We had been in Venice for several days precruise.

Lois, my best advice is to nail down the arrangements for getting to the point of embarkation from where you are staying. And wear light clothing!

I am looking forward to boarding in Ft Lauderdale, Port Everglades in just one week from today. There will be two behemoths there in addition to the Muse.

We plan on getting to the port around noon.

Lois, since you said you arranged for SS transport to the ship, you will not need to pay a water taxi. There is a vaporetto stop very near the terminal, which we used when we disembarked to go to the train station, and it was rather inexpensive. In Venice, locals walk or mostly use the vaporetto.

If transfers are included all is good. I would still nail down the deal.

The large cruise terminal is a totally different location than where our silversea vessel was moored in Venice.

And shlepping luggage, even a carry-on, isn't fun in the heat, over uneven ground, etc.

There was some sort of issue with our luggage at the point of embarkation.

We and our luggage were dropped outside the building.

DH had to drag the luggage inside.

There was no one to help.

I just hope that the process has improved. It's also important to know if one might need to carry or wheel luggage.

Lois, since you said you arranged for SS transport to the ship, you will not need to pay a water taxi. There is a vaporetto stop very near the terminal, which we used when we disembarked to go to the train station, and it was rather inexpensive. In Venice, locals walk or mostly use the vaporetto.

Hi Cam:).......thanks and I will be speaking with SS a few times over the next 3 months anyway. Booked my flights through them as well........waiting for my seat assignments. That should be next month and I will call them about the hotel-ship transportation too. I think they will probably be in my cruise documents though.:)

Oh wow.......:eek:

Well, I am staying at a hotel that SS must have ties to or something. I trust the gal who is helping me as I have known her for many years. She said SS has transportation from The Bauer to the ship. I was not planning to spend another 150.00 to get to the Whisper:eek:...I mean if I have to and it is the only way to get there, I will but it was not something I had planned on doing.

We stayed at The Bauer our last cruise out of Venice. SS had a large private launch pick us and three others up around noon and take us down to the Spirit. Couldn’t have been any easier. Luckily we did not experience the long waiting lines and were quickly checked in and headed to the ship. The ship was a bit of a ways from the small cruise terminal and you could walk or take a shuttle service to the ship. It was a glorious day so we walked.

I've always boarded at 12 apart from in Puerto Rico last year when I used SS transport and boarded a relatively late 1pm I learned from this in Singapore a couple of weeks ago and chose to get my own taxi to the ship (and was onboard by 12.05) instead of waiting for the coach with the masses leaving at 13.00 from the hotel.

Not a case of "I must be first on" - just dont like waiting around in the hotel foyer and the ability to do so came with a cost of less than $10 in a taxi. Seems crazy not to be enjoying lunch in the MDR at 12.20 and in our suite straight after lunch to find all our luggage already delivered.

I've always boarded at 12 apart from in Puerto Rico last year when I used SS transport and boarded a relatively late 1pm I learned from this in Singapore a couple of weeks ago and chose to get my own taxi to the ship (and was onboard by 12.05) instead of waiting for the coach with the masses leaving at 13.00 from the hotel.

Not a case of "I must be first on" - just dont like waiting around in the hotel foyer and the ability to do so came with a cost of less than $10 in a taxi. Seems crazy not to be enjoying lunch in the MDR at 12.20 and in our suite straight after lunch to find all our luggage already delivered.

Nice! That’s exactly what I’ll do in Singapore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at The Bauer our last cruise out of Venice. SS had a large private launch pick us and three others up around noon and take us down to the Spirit. Couldn’t have been any easier. Luckily we did not experience the long waiting lines and were quickly checked in and headed to the ship. The ship was a bit of a ways from the small cruise terminal and you could walk or take a shuttle service to the ship. It was a glorious day so we walked.

Hi Randy:) I am staying at The Bauer:D so hopefully they will have the same process for me too!!!

Hi Randy:) I am staying at The Bauer:D so hopefully they will have the same process for me too!!!

Should work about the same. I think when we checked into the hotel there was an envelope waiting for us with instructions for embarkation morning. It could have been a day or two later as we’d come into Venice a few days before the cruise to tour around in our own. There was also an SS representative in the hotel embarkation morning and she made sure we got connected with our transportation to the ship.