Castle Overload

We are doing a British Isles cruise with 9 ports. Most have or are near a castle. Any recommendations which castles to visit. We are visiting Buckingham Palace and have been to Blarney. Thanks in advance for any help as I'm becoming very confused.:rolleyes:

Which ports are you visiting ?

We are visiting the following ports: Guernsey [st. Peter Port]; day already planned; Cork, Ireland; Dublin; Belfast; Glasgow, Orkney Islands [Kirkwall]; Ivergordon; Edinburgh; Normandy/LeHavre [day already planned]

Last year, we enjoyed the garden tour at Buckingham Palace a lot. We also went to Kensington Palace in London. They'll still have the exhibit called "Diana: Her Fashion Story" going on through this year. I'm planning on a boat trip up the Thames to Hampton Court for our trip in September. We might also go to Windsor Castle during our stay in London.

Dublin Castle isn't much. We used the HoHo in Glasgow and enjoyed several museums. We did an excursion to Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness for a boat cruise, Clava Cairns, and Cawdor Castle from Invergordon. That was a great day. I think Edinburgh Castle is a must there.

Last year, we enjoyed the garden tour at Buckingham Palace a lot. We also went to Kensington Palace in London. They'll still have the exhibit called "Diana: Her Fashion Story" going on through this year. I'm planning on a boat trip up the Thames to Hampton Court for our trip in September. We might also go to Windsor Castle during our stay in London.

Dublin Castle isn't much. We used the HoHo in Glasgow and enjoyed several museums. We did an excursion to Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness for a boat cruise, Clava Cairns, and Cawdor Castle from Invergordon. That was a great day. I think Edinburgh Castle is a must there.

Thank you for your response. I was unaware of the "Diana" Exhibit or that we could visit Kensington Palace. Did you do an organized tour? Edinburgh Castle.....on my list. As this is a tender port for us, I am undecided about getting our tickets before hand.:confused: I am also looking at the Urquhart Castle/Loch Ness cruise. May I ask if you did the ship's excursion or booked on your won?

We have Dublin Castle on our to do list. Do you feel its not worth making the time? We will be seeing Edinburgh Castle, Cawdor Castle and probably Blarney Castle.

We are visiting the following ports: Guernsey [st. Peter Port]; day already planned; Cork, Ireland; Dublin; Belfast; Glasgow, Orkney Islands [Kirkwall]; Ivergordon; Edinburgh; Normandy/LeHavre [day already planned]

For Guernsey, the nearest castle to the pier is Castle Cornet. About a 15 minute walk from the tender. If you can be there a midday, there is a ceremonial firing of the noon day gun. There are a number of museums inside.

There are other Castles on the island, but not within walking distance or housing museums, however others are free to enter.

One thing to bear in mind is that ‘castle’ as a word can cover anything from an ancient British hill fort, through ‘proper’ Norman and Middle Ages castles (walls, ramparts, keeps etc) to large country or manor houses with faux crenellations stuck on in the 19th century.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your response. I was unaware of the "Diana" Exhibit or that we could visit Kensington Palace. Did you do an organized tour? Edinburgh Castle.....on my list. As this is a tender port for us, I am undecided about getting our tickets before hand.:confused: I am also looking at the Urquhart Castle/Loch Ness cruise. May I ask if you did the ship's excursion or booked on your won?
We stayed in Kensington and walked up for tickets. We had about a 15-minute wait. People who bought tickets ahead of time had a separate queue and got in ahead of us. I got us the earliest tickets for Edinburgh Castle, but we have priority tendering on Princess. It was a quick train ride from South Queensferry. We made it right as the castle opened at 9:30.

Our tour to Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness boat ride, Cawdor Castle, Clava Cairns excursion was with Invorgordon Tours. The Princess excursions offered did not do all. The ones that came the closest were a lot more expensive.

We have Dublin Castle on our to do list. Do you feel its not worth making the time? We will be seeing Edinburgh Castle, Cawdor Castle and probably Blarney Castle.
Dublin Castle was just OK. We had a rainy day our first day in Dublin, so being inside wasn't a bad idea. But coming after our tours of Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace, it wasn't that thrilling. I'm glad we had the overnight in Dublin and got two full days of seeing the city.

You might consider the Explorer Pass from the Historic Scotland site. It seems to me that the purchase would be worth it if you only visited 2 of their castles on the list. You don't have to stand in line for the tickets. They are emailed to you. I think England and Ireland also have such a thing. It might save you money, depending on how many castles you wish to see.

Train to Stirling from Greenock for 65 gbp for 4 persons. You have to change stations in Glasgow. Ticket online include bus for change. But it is a short walk With 30 minute connection. So we are just going to walk between stations. We plan to walk up Hill to castle but I would assume their are taxis. We are taking a 9:39-11:09 and back on a 2:50ish-4:48. Giving us just under 4 hrs in Stirling.

• 2 weeks later...
It's definitely worth doing a tour from Invergordon as it's small town but the area around is great. The cruise volunteers have a very good website which you will hopefully find useful. It suggests how to DIY Loch Ness and Urquhart castle, as well as Dunrobin Castle

http://www.visitinvergordon.com/own.html

We did a tour with a rental car in Invergordon. You can only rent cars from 'Kens Garage', i think. We did a tour through the Highlands and also visited Dunrobin Castle. If you are interested in Whisky, there are some distilleries on the way!

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Forums mobile app