Drinks package

Yeah, but you have to budget for some drinks on a cruise.We averaged around $45pp per day on our recent Diamond repositioning cruise, pay as you go, and the wine package was available on that cruise which helped keep our costs down. Of course the drinks prices have changed since then but some of the cocktails we drink have gone down in price, and I don't think the wine prices have changed.

We bought the drink package on our last cruise but that was just 8 days with lots of sea days. For a really long cruise I wouldn't buy a package - some days you might drink a lot but others just a couple of wines or something. I like to buy a bottle of wine (cheapest that I enjoy) for having in my room. You'd need to consider how much you think you'd drink.

We bought the drink package on our last cruise but that was just 8 days with lots of sea days. For a really long cruise I wouldn't buy a package - some days you might drink a lot but others just a couple of wines or something. I like to buy a bottle of wine (cheapest that I enjoy) for having in my room. You'd need to consider how much you think you'd drink.

Exactly.

We've done enough cruises to know what our onboard drinking pattern is and it's nowhere near the amount required to break even on the current drinks package price. We did try the drinks package on three cruises when it was still $59. I think we got our money's worth the first time, barely broke even the second time, and lost on the deal on the third cruise. We've done two cruises without a drinks package since then and have averaged well under the package price. We were lucky to get the wine package on both those cruises though and that does make a big difference if you like wine with meals. It will be interesting to see what our average is without the wine package but I still don't think it will get anywhere near $86.99.

the biggest problem with Princess now is that they have got rid of the BOGO$1 drinks and if it is one of the princess Aust ships, you do not even get the P&E lounge.

I thought it was only Sun & Sea that didn't have the PES lounge. They had it on the Diamond repo cruise. We actually only went to it three times in the whole 22 nights. The timing was wrong for us as we are late traditional diners and typically don't go for drinks until 7pm and the PES lounge closes then.

the biggest problem with Princess now is that they have got rid of the BOGO$1 drinks and if it is one of the princess Aust ships, you do not even get the P&E lounge.

Correct, they could fit a PES lounge in somewhere on Sea or Sun Princesses. When we were on Sun Princess in 2008 they partiioned off part of the Wheelhouse bar for PES. But that was the year Sun Princess first arrived in OZ from USA. We did Circumnavigation cruise, we were Platinum, but got Elite after. We even got an invite to most travelled pax lunch as Platinums as there were apparently only a dozen or so Elites on board, unlike these days where Elites are a dime a dozen, so to speak.:rolleyes:

Aussie pax just don't get a look in these days.

I thought it was only Sun & Sea that didn't have the PES lounge. They had it on the Diamond repo cruise. We actually only went to it three times in the whole 22 nights. The timing was wrong for us as we are late traditional diners and typically don't go for drinks until 7pm and the PES lounge closes then.

Correct, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Golden, are Princess International while the Sea and Sun are Princess Australia.

Correct, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Golden, are Princess International while the Sea and Sun are Princess Australia.

I thought they all came under the Princess Australia umbrella while they were in Australia.

I was under the impression that the lack of a PES lounge on Sun & Sea was that there isn't really a suitable separate venue, especially since the food supplied is set up on a big table for self-service, not served as canapes like on Celebrity.

They do, AUD onboard, gratuities included,

no wine packages:rolleyes:

I was actually surprised to find the wine package was available on the Diamond repo cruise. Yet that cruise was an AUD cruise. Mind you, they had a few issues dealing with it over the first few days. I got the impression they weren't used to having it on offer. They were using the base USD pricing (without added grats) as that is what is printed on the cards, they just said those were the AUD prices. :D:DAnd, yes, I'm sure they were the same because I found an old, used card from our Royal cruise in my evening bag.

I was actually surprised to find the wine package was available on the Diamond repo cruise. Yet that cruise was an AUD cruise. Mind you, they had a few issues dealing with it over the first few days. I got the impression they weren't used to having it on offer. They were using the base USD pricing (without added grats) as that is what is printed on the cards, they just said those were the AUD prices. :D:DAnd, yes, I'm sure they were the same because I found an old, used card from our Royal cruise in my evening bag.

I am quite sure our only cruise we were able to purchase a wine package was on a Sapphire cruise from Singapore and a Diamond cruise from Beijing to Vancouver......never had any luck on those that departed from OZ.

When the Emerald came here people we posting that the wine package was available but when it arrived it disappeared:rolleyes:

Will let you know what is happening on the Majestic in August;)

I am quite sure our only cruise we were able to purchase a wine package was on a Sapphire cruise from Singapore and a Diamond cruise from Beijing to Vancouver......never had any luck on those that departed from OZ.

When the Emerald came here people we posting that the wine package was available but when it arrived it disappeared:rolleyes:

Will let you know what is happening on the Majestic in August;)

Our Majestic cruise in November is just the short one to Tassie and, typically, they don't offer wine packages on cruises under 10 days anyway. I won't get a chance to check it out until August next year when we do the big Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. That's when a wine package, or two or three, would really come in useful.

I thought they all came under the Princess Australia umbrella while they were in Australia.

I was under the impression that the lack of a PES lounge on Sun & Sea was that there isn't really a suitable separate venue, especially since the food supplied is set up on a big table for self-service, not served as canapes like on Celebrity.

That may be true while here but they still have the PES lounge. As for Sea and Sun, an alternative arrangement could be made if they really cared about the Loyalty. Royal loads the sea pass with 3 free drinks at any bar or the dining room for use between 5.30and 8.30pm each day for diamond members due to the lounge being too small to cater for the numbers. Princess could do something similar and load platinum and Elite cards with a few drinks (discounted or free) each day and the lack of a lounge would not be an issue.

Our Majestic cruise in November is just the short one to Tassie and, typically, they don't offer wine packages on cruises under 10 days anyway. I won't get a chance to check it out until August next year when we do the big Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. That's when a wine package, or two or three, would really come in useful.

It will be interesting how they set the Majestic up for the Aussie season with the various changes to both room usage and demographic cruise demands.

They could find a spot for the PES lounge on Sun/Sea if they wanted to, like partition off a bit of the Wheel House Bar or Vista Lounge, if they still have those areas on those vessels, I have not been on those 2 ships for a few years.:o:(

They could find a spot for the PES lounge on Sun/Sea if they wanted to, like partition off a bit of the Wheel House Bar or Vista Lounge, if they still have those areas on those vessels, I have not been on those 2 ships for a few years.:o:(

The Vista Lounge is often used for shows so couldn't be a permanent venue for the PES Lounge.

The Wheelhouse Bar could work, although there isn't a lot of spare space there for setting up the food, plus it sometimes becomes a thoroughfare for people leaving the theatre.

Princess seems to prefer to have the PES lounge discreetly tucked away somewhere.

I still think giving people the option of having a drink in whatever bar they wish is a good choice, people don't need the canape's and such and loading the sea pass with a couple of freebies or discounted drinks each day would go a long way in showing loyal passengers that they are valued despite not having a dedicated lounge for drinks.

I still think giving people the option of having a drink in whatever bar they wish is a good choice, people don't need the canape's and such and loading the sea pass with a couple of freebies or discounted drinks each day would go a long way in showing loyal passengers that they are valued despite not having a dedicated lounge for drinks.

I agree. Although the beef tartare and the stilton with port were rather yummy I really don't need more food on a cruise.

The really nice thing about the PES lounge on Diamond was the location, up in Skywalkers. Unfortunately once the PES hours finished, at 7pm, the bar closed until later in the night when it became a nightclub. It seemed silly to me. That area is so underutilized during the day. OK, that means it's a nice place to go to read but when people are fighting for space at the cafe or at Crooners (which also served coffees) you'd think they'd look at turning Skywalkers into a cafe/bar during the day.