Honolulu Marathon Dec 10, 2017.

DaveOKC

We arrive in Honolulu on Dec 10 (7am) and depart Dec 11 (8 pm). In doing some research, I noted that the Honolulu Marathon is being held on Dec. 10, beginning at 5 am.

I am a bit concerned that this race will impact our first day in town, especially some of the ship's tours (some leave as early as 8:00 am). Should we avoid the downtown and nearby beach areas (and Diamond Head) as the race route seems to run through there?

Does anyone have experiences with this race and the congestion involved?

You can go to their web site and check out the race course. From Ala Moana - thru downtown then thru Waikiki - down to Kahala - then to Hawaii Kai then back to Waikiki. I have done it several times - and yes it will cause some (lots in some places) traffic prob. If you go the other way - like to Arizona Memorial or the North SHore you will be OK. About 20,000 do the race and some take 10 hours to finish....

You can go to their web site and check out the race course. From Ala Moana - thru downtown then thru Waikiki - down to Kahala - then to Hawaii Kai then back to Waikiki. I have done it several times - and yes it will cause some (lots in some places) traffic prob. If you go the other way - like to Arizona Memorial or the North SHore you will be OK. About 20,000 do the race and some take 10 hours to finish....

Thanks - that is what I was afraid of. We were thinking of going in that direction on a cruise tour, but now I think we should skip that idea.

Done the race a few times and I gotta think even the walkers are thru town by 8:00. We just ran up from Ala Moana turned right at bishop or nearby and then head east for the next dozen or so miles so Honolulu itself will be pretty open and the finish is on the east end of Waikiki at kapiolani Park. Yet It’s true heading west or north is likely a good idea.

Done the race a few times and I gotta think even the walkers are thru town by 8:00. We just ran up from Ala Moana turned right at bishop or nearby and then head east for the next dozen or so miles so Honolulu itself will be pretty open and the finish is on the east end of Waikiki at kapiolani Park. Yet It’s true heading west or north is likely a good idea.

And it is fun to watch the racers come in,. Especially those who take 7 and 8 and 9 and more hours to finish;. They fall over the finish line. Downtown and Waikiki (except for Kapiolani park area) OK.