What do you think about this cancellation policy?

ifernbol

To the OP: I'm sorry you're in this situation.

I agree with you that the penalty seems too high.

Be aware that some of the posters on this board are employees of NCL so their points of view/agenda won't mesh with yours.

I'm not sure what you can do. If there is any silver lining to this cloud, I think most people who sail the Haven enjoy it, so odds are you'll be in for a good cruise.

I know you'll be careful when you book travel next time. There is a poster here named 'pokerpro5' who wrote a great essay a couple years ago arguing that cruises should almost never be booked far in advance (there are exceptions), but rather after other people have made final payment. I found it persuasive. You might want to search for his post.

Once again, I'm sorry you're in this situation and I agree that the cancellation fee is too high in your case.

To the OP: I'm sorry you're in this situation.

I agree with you that the penalty seems too high.

Be aware that some of the posters on this board are employees of NCL so their points of view/agenda won't mesh with yours.

I'm not sure what you can do. If there is any silver lining to this cloud, I think most people who sail the Haven enjoy it, so odds are you'll be in for a good cruise.

I know you'll be careful when you book travel next time. There is a poster here named 'pokerpro5' who wrote a great essay a couple years ago arguing that cruises should almost never be booked far in advance (there are exceptions), but rather after other people have made final payment. I found it persuasive. You might want to search for his post.

Once again, I'm sorry you're in this situation and I agree that the cancellation fee is too high in your case.

Thanks for your good advice! I will absolutely take a look to that thread!

You are right, at least with NCL I would only book in advance if I see that the type of cabin I want has very low availability. I think that would be a good advice for all Europeans that want to book with NCL if that policy stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By the way, any thoughts on one sentence on those T&C regarding cancellation fees that says “the pax has the right to prove that the economical loss for NCL is significantly lower that the penalty paid”

Is there really any way to prove that?

I really think that 2100$ 276 days before departure is much more than any loss (if any at all) that NCL could have with the cancellation.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

That economic loss exception would seem to give you some wiggle room at least. Have you made the argument to them? Or is the process, cancel, pay the penalty and then make this argument?

That economic loss exception would seem to give you some wiggle room at least. Have you made the argument to them? Or is the process, cancel, pay the penalty and then make this argument?

Yes, I am in touch with NCL customer service. They have not stated what the process is yet. I have made my point about the lack of loss so far in advance and probable benefit. In Ag. In the Mediterranean all ships sail full so no problem for them to sell the cabin again more than 9 months in advance. They would get those 1800-1900€ plus the new fare. Not bad from my point of view....

By the way, any thoughts on one sentence on those T&C regarding cancellation fees that says “the pax has the right to prove that the economical loss for NCL is significantly lower that the penalty paid”

Is there really any way to prove that?

I really think that 2100$ 276 days before departure is much more than any loss (if any at all) that NCL could have with the cancellation.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Yes, I am in touch with NCL customer service. They have not stated what the process is yet. I have made my point about the lack of loss so far in advance and probable benefit. In Ag. In the Mediterranean all ships sail full so no problem for them to sell the cabin again more than 9 months in advance. They would get those 1800-1900€ plus the new fare. Not bad from my point of view....

Great to hear that. My only other advice is to push them as much as you can as they really don't care if you pay the Eros or someone else does. They are made whole in any case.

Best of luck and have a great cruise, on whichever line you end up cruising with.

Great to hear that. My only other advice is to push them as much as you can as they really don't care if you pay the Eros or someone else does. They are made whole in any case.

Best of luck and have a great cruise, on whichever line you end up cruising with.

Thanks for the advice and the good wishes!!!

It seems that NCL wants me to cancel, pay the penalty and then ask for it proving it was disproportionate.

I don’t think it should be up to NCL to make that decision, as it will be biased. So I’m not taking that way.

No I have not. I have no doubt it will be great if I sail in that 2 bedroom suite.

In the T&C is also said that the pax can argue that the cancellation fee is higher than any possible losses that NCL may have. I really doubt they would have any so I will try to get a different answer with that approach.

I was doubtful to make the change but getting those conditions is really making me more eager to cancel and change. Not very rational but that’s how I feel.

I will undoubtedly miss the huge bathroom and shower with sea views if I make the change!

What is the MSC cancellation policy in Spain?

OP posted an excerpt in post #7.

Your browser may redirect to your local site: https://www.ncl.com/es/es/informacion-util/condiciones-generales

Google translation:

PAYMENT

2.1 The passenger must observe the payment terms indicated in our confirmation or invoice. The delay in payment may result in cancellation of the trip.

2.2 Along with our travel confirmation, the passenger will receive an insurance voucher, which shows that Norwegian is insured against the insolvency risk by the insurance company Reise Garant GmbH. This voucher guarantees the passenger the right to claim directly from the insurer in the event of insolvency or bankruptcy of Norwegian.

2.3 Upon receiving this insurance voucher, the passenger must immediately make the following deposit in advance and per person:

1-5 night cruises

20% of the total price of the trip for the 1st to 8th adult;

20% of the total travel price for children up to 17 years old

Cruises of 6 or more nights

10% of the total price of the trip for the 1st to 8th adult;

10% of the total travel price for children up to 17 years old

2.4 For cabins in the category "garden villa" (categories H1 / S1) and other suites of higher categories (categories H2-H9, SA and SB) special payment terms will apply. The passenger must immediately make the following deposit in advance and per person:

H1 / S1: 20% of the total price of the trip for the 1st to 8th adult, as well as for children:

H2-H9, SA, SB: 20% of the total price of the trip for the 1st to 8th adult, as well as for children.

2.5 The insurance premium must be paid together with the payment of the deposit.

2.6 The full payment of the trip must have been paid into the Norwegian account indicated no later than 30 days before the trip begins, without further reminders from Norwegian. If the reservation is made 30 days before the start of the trip, or even later, the passenger must pay the full amount immediately upon receiving the confirmation and the insurance voucher. For cabins in the category "garden villa" (categories H1 / S1) and other suites of higher categories (categories H2-H9, SA and SB) the full amount must be paid 90 days before the start of the trip. Upon receiving the full payment, Norwegian will send the passenger all the necessary documents for his trip. If the reservation is made 14 days before the flight / departure trip, Norwegian will only accept payments made with credit cards.

No because when I searched for those T&C I got NCL site in Spanish for the US. I had no way to know that was the US site and not the Spanish one. There it said no fee if canceling 120 days in advance.

This is entirely possible. At some point, NCL started redirecting people to their country site based on their IP address. You can see the questions about the daily service charge and tipping from the Canadians who don't have the same FAQ section we do here in the States.

I'll bet the change in (successfully) redirecting happened after you booked, and the Spanish language US site came up because of your query language. I get the US based site at https://es.ncl.com. You might stress that point in your communications to them (and see if you can still access that site). Your booking documents would have included the correct Terms and Conditions, so they don't have to bend, but it gives a reasonable reason for them to make an exception (ie., until recently they were not always redirecting correctly).

I'll second what someone else said ... if you're going to lose that much money I would go ahead and sail the Epic in the Haven. I think you'll have a great time, and it will give you a good baseline comparison for choosing between MSC and NCL in the future.

Que tengas buena suerta!

This is entirely possible. At some point, NCL started redirecting people to their country site based on their IP address. You can see the questions about the daily service charge and tipping from the Canadians who don't have the same FAQ section we do here in the States.

I'll bet the change in (successfully) redirecting happened after you booked, and the Spanish language US site came up because of your query language. I get the US based site at https://es.ncl.com. You might stress that point in your communications to them (and see if you can still access that site). Your booking documents would have included the correct Terms and Conditions, so they don't have to bend, but it gives a reasonable reason for them to make an exception (ie., until recently they were not always redirecting correctly).

I'll second what someone else said ... if you're going to lose that much money I would go ahead and sail the Epic in the Haven. I think you'll have a great time, and it will give you a good baseline comparison for choosing between MSC and NCL in the future.

Que tengas buena suerta!

Muchas gracias! That is a really great suggestion. It may be worth to focus on the fact that I got mislead before making the reservation because I got the wrong (other country) information from NCL website rather than proving that the cancellation fee is disproportionate related to the time until departure (which I sincerely think is).

Both reasons should be enough for them to consider an exception in this case. It may be enough for me if NCL accepted just matching the current price keeping my reservation.

I am really glad I posted this here because I am really getting lots of good suggestion regarding this matter. Thank you all folks!

MSC charges 50€ per pax if cancelling more than 60 days in advance. 25% if between 59 and 30 and up from there

is this in spain other then in germany? if i book MSC in germany they want 20% cancellation fee, closer to the sail away date the fee is getting higher. it is simliar with ncl ( only little differents, but NCL looks better to me )

https://www.msc-kreuzfahrten.de/de-de/Allgemeine-Geschaeftsbedingungen.aspx

is this in spain other then in germany? if i book MSC in germany they want 20% cancellation fee, closer to the sail away date the fee is getting higher. it is simliar with ncl ( only little differents, but NCL looks better to me )

https://www.msc-kreuzfahrten.de/de-de/Allgemeine-Geschaeftsbedingungen.aspx

Yes there is a huge difference which is even more surprising as both are members of the European Union.

In Spain they quote those 50€/pax as “administrative fee”. BTW here in Spain the deposit most of the time is the same 50€ per pax.

I haven’t understood all the T&C in the German site because although Ich Kann Deutch aber ich kann night alle verstanden. But I find that MSC’s policy as restrictive as NCL and equally disproportionate.

At least you could find the right information in your language to make your decision. My problem was that found the WRONG information in my language thinking it was the Spanish site.

Does MSC match the price if it gets lower before final payment in Germany??

I haven’t understood all the T&C in the German site because although Ich Kann Deutch aber ich kann night alle verstanden. But I find that MSC’s policy as restrictive as NCL and equally disproportionate.

At least you could find the right information in your language to make your decision. My problem was that found the WRONG information in my language thinking it was the Spanish site.

Does MSC match the price if it gets lower before final payment in Germany??

sorry with the link, i had opened their rates but it is not possible with a link.

No, you pay the price what you had booked. if you had booked and the price is going lower you can´t change to the lower price. But these are conditions of most cruise lines here. If i ever book a MSC cruise maybe i should do it in spain.

sorry with the link, i had opened their rates but it is not possible with a link.

No, you pay the price what you had booked. if you had booked and the price is going lower you can´t change to the lower price. But these are conditions of most cruise lines here. If i ever book a MSC cruise maybe i should do it in spain.

Yes, use an Spanish online TA and will get better conditions.

On a side note, NCL office in Europe is set in Germany and German laws apply. Maybe that has something to do with their cancellation policy...

Were you not aware of those terms when you made your booking?

Ding ding. We have a winner.

When you booked your cruise, OP, YOU accepted the terms and conditions. So, yes, it is fair. If you, on the otherhand want to do as you please and now, after the fact, say you want to ignore or change those terms and conditions without the penalty YOU accepted and agreed to, it is YOU who is being unfair.

Ding ding. We have a winner.

When you booked your cruise, OP, YOU accepted the terms and conditions. So, yes, it is fair. If you, on the otherhand want to do as you please and now, after the fact, say you want to ignore or change those terms and conditions without the penalty YOU accepted and agreed to, it is YOU who is being unfair.

Thanks for your answer. Actually, as has been explained before in this thread by me and discussed by others, NCL website showed me US T&C in Spanish, having no way to know I had been directed to the US website and not redirected to the Spanish one. So I was honestly convinced that I could cancel with no penalty 120 days prior to departure. There was no way to know that were US T&C.

Anyway, I accept that was unaware of the (right) policy although I had looked for it before booking. The actual policy states that the passenger has the right to prove that the fee paid exceeds NCL loss on the cancellation. I argue that they charge 0$ in the US ( guess no loss there) but want to charge 2100$ in this situation 9 months in advance.

I ask you directly DMH15, do you honestly think those 2100$ 9 months in advance is proportionate? Is from your point of view that amount related in any way to the loss NCL may have with that cancellation?

I really wait for your answers to those questions as I really want to receive different points of view, even if those are different than mine.

OP, I absolutly understand. Booked my Cruise with NCL in September for next June on the german Website. As i looked up T&C THEN, i found the same conditions US Cruisers stated here (in English language). Out of curiosity i looked T&C up today again and found them in german language and now it is 10% up to 31 days before the Cruise.

And yes, i printed them when i booked ;).

OP, I absolutly understand. Booked my Cruise with NCL in September for next June on the german Website. As i looked up T&C THEN, i found the same conditions US Cruisers stated here (in English language). Out of curiosity i looked T&C up today again and found them in german language and now it is 10% up to 31 days before the Cruise.

And yes, i printed them when i booked ;).

That’s exactly what happened to me. The only difference is that cancellation for us is 20% up to 91 days because we have booked a Haven cabin.

I only found out the actual conditions when my TA told me the amount to pay to cancel. I thought he was mistaken and send him an email with an screen capture I got when I looked up for those cancellations fees. Then he told me those were US conditions and were different. Imagine my face after reading that!!

Well I wish you don’t have to cancel. Do you think that printout would make NCL reconsider your situation if you needed to cancel??

That’s exactly what happened to me. The only difference is that cancellation for us is 20% up to 91 days because we have booked a Haven cabin.

I only found out the actual conditions when my TA told me the amount to pay to cancel. I thought he was mistaken and send him an email with an screen capture I got when I looked up for those cancellations fees. Then he told me those were US conditions and were different. Imagine my face after reading that!!

Well I wish you don’t have to cancel. Do you think that printout would make NCL reconsider your situation if you needed to cancel??

I would scan it and send it to NCL directly - you got nothing to loose...

As we can not (without any technic gadgets) visit the US Website, there might be a small chance they consider your request but i wouldnt tell them you want to cancel to book with a Competitor ;)

I would scan it and send it to NCL directly - you got nothing to loose...

As we can not (without any technic gadgets) visit the US Website, there might be a small chance they consider your request but i wouldnt tell them you want to cancel to book with a Competitor ;)

Yeah, I will try that. I wonder if NCL is trying to move its conditions in the US to be similar to the ones in the EU.

I read here that they are moving final payment to 120 days prior departure. It was moved from 75 to 90 before. Maybe next step is pay a penalty right after you book if you want to cancel....