Best non-drowsy motion sick remedy?

annecolorgreen

I had NEVER been motion sick and had been on numerous trips and cruises...until I took a ferry during a storm to Key West and tried to read a book :rolleyes:.

We are going to Hawaii in September and plan to do a couple of snorkeling excursions and the Road to Hana drive--both seem to make others sick. I would rather be safe than sorry (but don't want to feel drugged)...what works for you?

Thanks!

i do get motion sickness and i too didnt want to feel tired thru the day. asked the pharmasist and he said to take 1 to 2 days before the cruise and take it at night. that way you get a good sleep and still keep the affects of not being seasick. i use bonine or a no name. works for me!

I use Ginger caplets for motion sickness and have had great success with them. I start taking them a couple days before leaving (I get sick on planes as well), and continue taking them throughout the trip.

Since I started with the Ginger, I've not had a problem with cruising AT ALL. I've even taken a couple of shore excursions on catamarans without any problems. I'm still careful - I don't sit facing backwards in a moving vehicle, I try to avoid window seats in the dining room, and I don't read when I can see the motion (I can read on the plane, but not in a car) or if travel is rough (rough seas, turbulance).

I agree with the suggestions made. One other remedy that the crew often makes is to eat a green apple if you start feeling seasick. Never needed to do this, but thought I'd pass it along. I also find that sipping ginger ale works almost as well as ginger capsules.

Non-drowsy dramamine and Bonine are the same active ingredient - meclizine. I buy the generic version at Costco. Never makes me drowsy - I had to use it quite a bit on a cruise out of Norfolk to the Caribbean - the first couple days were very rough.

Active ingredients;

Dramamine original - Dimenhydrinate 50 mg

Dramamine less drowsy - Meclizine hydrochloride 25 mg

Bonine: Meclizine HCl (25mg) ...

I take ginger tea for general nausea but it doesn't work for seasickness for me. (http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/GingerAid)

(NOTE: when travelling to other countries, it's always a good idea to know the active ingredient/generic drug names because name brands aren't going to be the same. Eg what we call "tylenol" or even acetaminophen is "paracetemol" in the UK)

I had NEVER been motion sick and had been on numerous trips and cruises...until I took a ferry during a storm to Key West and tried to read a book :rolleyes:.

We are going to Hawaii in September and plan to do a couple of snorkeling excursions and the Road to Hana drive--both seem to make others sick. I would rather be safe than sorry (but don't want to feel drugged)...what works for you?

Thanks!

I use ginger. Why ...

1) It is not a drug.

2) It will work after you start feeling sick (the other medications don't).

3) It is the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

4) So far it has worked for me.

I get motion sickness worse than anyone I've ever met - we're going on cruise #26. I tell people if I can cruise, anyone can. I start taking Dramamine LESS DROWSY the day before we leave and 1 per day during the cruise. I've never feel sick, even in high seas. I've never tried the bands or patches, but they seem to work for others.

Non-drowsy Dramamine works for me.

Hi, I think I might try dramamine..I don't often get queasy, but sometimes. What is the best way? 1 the day before cruising and 1 every day, any particular time? a.m. I would guess. Is it safe to have a drink or 2 in the evening with dramamine?

Thanks in advance. We're leaving from NYC 8/29 on the Dawn to Bermuda! Anniversary cruise and want to feel perfect at all times.

Safe sails!

I think it depends on how sensitive you are to the active ingredient in the non-drowsy stuff. I take (Bonine, Meclizine, non-drowsy Dramamine), and it still makes me sleepy. I chase it with all the Diet Coke I can drink and take a nap after my excursion. It's better than being sick! (I only get seasick on small excursion-type boats, not the ship, thankfully.)

The point is it is better to try out whatever you want to take while you're at home to see how it makes you feel.

Robin

My 2 daughters are both prone to motion sickness. Take a dramamine the night before the cruise at bedtime. You'll have no drowsiness and you'll be fine. Take one the next night and then give it a shot going w/o it unless you are in rough sea. It seems to work with both of my daughters. They've never had to take it after a couple of nights.

I only get seasick on small excursion-type boats, not the ship, thankfully

I'm the opposite - I can be on a 30ft sailboat in a storm, no problem, but on a cruise ship I'll get queasy with not too much motion. Go figure:p Knock wood, I've never been completely immobilized from seasickness - always made my meals!;)

As for Mythbusters - ginger was the only non-pharmaceutical that worked. OTC pharmaceuticals worked fine for them. They just didn't like the way they felt. I have no problems taking drugs- better living through chemistry. Though I understand not everyone feels that way - if ginger works for you, that's fabulous.

I also recommend Bonine. The real key, as has been mentioned is to start taking the medication the day before you leave and take it every day that you are traveling. It works for cruising, on buses, etc. Just make sure you take it at the same time every day.

We used Motion Ease on our last cruise. You place a drop behind your ear when you feel nauseated, and it stops it immediately. You don't have to use it in advance like you do with the pills. It's all natural ingredients, but I don't remember which ones.

I'm the opposite - I can be on a 30ft sailboat in a storm, no problem, but on a cruise ship I'll get queasy with not too much motion. I'm the same way!

As for Mythbusters - ginger was the only non-pharmaceutical that worked. OTC pharmaceuticals worked fine for them. They just didn't like the way they felt. I have no problems taking drugs- better living through chemistry. Though I understand not everyone feels that way - if ginger works for you, that's fabulous.

Ginger tabs don't work at all for me & Meclizine knocks me out for hours ... ugh!

Each person should remember that what works for one person might not work for the other person.

But the OP did ask about what non drowsy motion remedies work. There are ones that can make you drowsy but don't believe that was the question.

Keith

Have you tried different forms of ginger? Candied ginger, ginger tea, ginger ale?

No. Which is the ginger ale that actually has ginger in it? Is there any anymore? I really hate the taste of ginger but it's better than a stomach ache!

Archived