LoriLu Questions on explorer for U

Carrie P

Your reviews were great but you really didn't comment to much about the appearance of the ship, rooms , did you have a balcony (use it during nap time ) Would love to hear more about the ship, the upkeep etc... I keep hearing people say "drydock" about the explorer.....

No matter what, nothing will ruin this trip. (god willing)

What kind of different foods did you see on the buffets when you went, was there any exceptional dinners in the restaurants you 'd like to brag about? How about lunches? Can you take lunch off the ship while going to an excursion, like pack a picnic lunch?

Would love more info if you have time.

Thx.

Carrie

I thought the ship was beautiful. I didn't notice any areas that looked like they needed repair. Everything worked just fine in our cabin (although we had a couple of instances when the toilet wouldn't flush. We'd walk away and it would flush within a few minutes. Very strange)

We had a Promenade cabin so we didn't have a balcony. We did have a large window that looked down into the Promenade. Our cabin was SMALL but very efficient. There storage shelves on both sides of the mirror on the desk. We had a drawer and shelf in each nightstand, shelves about the television along with 4 drawers below. The closet was pretty large and also had some shelves built in.

The food was "good" but I wouldn't say "wonderful". I could see where someone accustomed to 4 star restaurants could be disappointed. However, as the Mother of 4 kids I thought it was good -- anything is better than McDonalds (or even worse having to cook myself!).

We had breakfast everyday in the Windjammer. They had pretty much anything you could want....pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, muffins, biscuits, etc.. There was also cold cereal, yogurt and fruit. We did notice that the food was never really hot, but what can you expect from a buffet? I had the same thing pretty much every day -- an omelet made to order (yum!) along with bacon. I'd also have a couple of waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. I really enjoyed breakfast since it's a meal I don't cook at home (I'm munching on a bowl on Lucky Charms right now as I type)

We had lunch in the Windjammer on 4 different days. They had a large selection of foods but I'm not a big lunch eater especially after a huge breakfast. Their salad bar was pretty good. I also enjoyed their burgers and fries.

We ate in the dining room every night. For the most part we all liked what we ordered. My only really disappointment was the Chicken Philadelphia on the first night that turned out to be one of the frozen stuffed ones. There were two different salads each night - one was always Caesar. There were always several appetizers to choose from including at least one soup. I have a major sweet tooth so I really enjoyed the desserts - one night I couldn't decide so I ordered two different ones.

We never really tried to pack a lunch. We did grab a box or two of cold cereal on a few occasions (I had Fruit Loops on the way to cave tubing). We also brought apples and bananas a couple of times. No one ever checked our bags on the way off of the ship so I'm sure that you could easily pack a full lunch.

I don't know how anyone could manage to have a bad time on a cruise unless they started out with a bad attitude. No, everything wasn't perfect but the staff did their best to fix anything that went wrong. We had a great time and like I said earlier I would do it again in a heartbeat :D

Lori

I know this question was for Lorilou but maybe I can shed some light too..

The ship is beautiful and public areas are spotless and well taken care of. Our cabin did show some wear and tear like a torn arm couch and some stains on the carpet but no big deal. We had a D2 category balcony cabin and found the balconies to be tinier than Princess and carnival but still found it relaxing. This was my first time on the Voyager class ships and I felt enclosed on the balcony. Also the railing isn't glass all the way down, and since we had rough seas, the glass on the balconies had sea spray and therefore not conducive to seeing through water. On Princess Grand class ships, the balconies jut out and are all glass so they're not so enclosed. Some people do complain about this though because you can see the balcony below you so it's a matter of preference. Regardless, I love any balcony in the mornings.

I had heard a lot about the food on this ship before going on. I'm not a picky eater so I could always find something to eat. The omelett station in the mornings was very good. I love fruits, salad and vegetables so if nothing else I ate those. There is a separate burgers/hotdogs station every day. We went to JR twice. We didn't go to the dining room during the day but ate dinner in the dining room every night and the menu was varied but geared toward seafood and very good.

I didn't pack lunch but did take fruits and munchies out on port with us. There is no check point on the way out so there wouldn't be a problem with taking out anything. You can't bring back any foods.

We had a great time, you will too...I wouldn't sweat the small stuff!

Archived