Cancelling Amtrak ticket?

Straitlover

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. If I book Value rate tickets Vancouver to Seattle, I can cancel before the 48-hr mark and get a full refund, correct?

If we can squeeze out an extra vacation day and get a decent car rate, we may do Gardyloo's scenic driving route rather than having to be at the train station and 0 dark thirty. :D We would overnight in Vancouver Sunday (doing that either way, train or car), do the leisurely drive on Monday, overnighting somewhere (probably SeaTac, already avhe a room booked for Mon night), sightsee in Seattle Tuesday and then fly home Wed AM (would need to book a second night hotel).

However, I want to go ahead and reserve the train for Monday AM in case the car rates are outrageous and/or we can't get the extra day. I just want to make sure I can get my money back if we cancel the train. We do have cancel for any reason trip insurance, but I don't know if it would cover this.

Yes - as all seats on Cascades are Reserved (NB: not the specific seat which is allocated first-come, first-served on the day but you are guaranteed that there will be a seat somewhere on the train for you) the 20% fee only kicks in at <48hrs notice. You could even get 100% value as a voucher for future travel after that point, as long as it's before scheduled departure time.

Cancel for any reason insurance should refund any loss for any reason (in this case the 20% fee <48hrs) if you otherwise meet the criteria of the policy (I'd be very surprised at any policy with an 'any reason' option being totally open - you could book literally millions worth of vaycay if it was an annual policy, so setting premiums would be a nightmare - so it's likely a total value or even specific vacation package that's covered in the policy, so if you didn't book the train at the same time as the rest it might not be covered...)