Diamond Head Honolulu

DaveOKC

We would like to visit Diamond Head while we are in Honolulu, but are a bit unsure of a couple of things.

First, can we get there by the local bus (if so, which one and where do we get it near Pier 11).

Second, I know we can hike all the way to the top, but are there any other options if we feel it is too much for us? For example, is there a visitor center or area for viewing that is not at the top?

Third, can we go to Hanauma Bay by bus from there? If so, which one. Can we get back to the pier from there?

Fourth - how long would all of this take by bus?

Thanks for the assistance.

We would like to visit Diamond Head while we are in Honolulu, but are a bit unsure of a couple of things.

First, can we get there by the local bus (if so, which one and where do we get it near Pier 11).

Yes but I would not recommend it. (Bus#2 about a 10 minute walk from the dock)

I would recommend a taxi instead.

Why: The bus will let you off outside of the crater and will take nearly an hour. Then you will have a to walk down a dark narrow tunnel with lots of vehicular traffic to get into the crater.

A taxi will take you instead the crater right to the visitor center. It will take around 20 minutes.

Second, I know we can hike all the way to the top, but are there any other options if we feel it is too much for us? For example, is there a visitor center or area for viewing that is not at the top?

The only trail that really matters is the one to the top. You can turn back at any time and there is an easier option near the top at the last challenging bit. (Go left instead of right - the choice will be obvious) BTW I did this with arthritis and a heart condition. I won't say that I found it easy but it is quite doable if you pace yourself - stop at ALL benches and take your time and bring a lot of water and go as early in the morning as possible (cooler).

Third, can we go to Hanauma Bay by bus from there? If so, which one. Can we get back to the pier from there?

I would not recommend it - you will be tired after Diamond Head and I don't think there is a direct route between the 2 (someone correct me if I am wrong). Also it would take about another hour by bus - too much for one day I think. Also if you are there on a Tuesday - NOTE Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays.

Fourth - how long would all of this take by bus?

Rough estimates and not counting on wait times for buses and assuming a certain fitness level to get up Diamond head.

Bus to Diamond Head

approx. 10 minute walk to bus stop then bus ride 50-60 minutes depending on traffic

time spent at Diamond head - minimum 2 hours - more likely 2.5-3 hours

There is no direct bus route between Diamond Head and Hanuama Bay - so you would either have a 20 minute walk to catch Bus#2 OR you would have to ride Bus#1 to where it connects to the Bus#2 route (I have not done this.) - I would assume that this will take at least another hour. I don't recommend trying to combine the two destinations in one day particularly if taking buses.

WOW - great information - THANKS!

One more thing - is it worth just going to the visitor center if we feel that we cannot hike to the summit? Is there much to see from there?

Personally I don't think so but others may disagree. The hike up really is the point of going there and absolutely worth it.

I would agree, the visitor center is not worth a visit. We are out of shape late 40’s and did the hike. It gets a little tough at the end, but we just took breaks when needed. Just bring lots of water. The views are worth it.

Here is a video of our experience.

s7bCCeZMg1Q

My 18 year son and I took the bus. It was right outside the cruise ship Pier. We were on Princess. We were first off the ship - 7:15 am I believe. I do not recall the bus taking an hour - maybe we had an express one. I do recall getting to Diamond Head (yes you are dropped off outside of the crater - but the walk from the bus is maybe 10 minutes) along side the road.) Big Deal. Have you ever crossed the street in Cairo or Alexandria. Now there it is dangerous as you negotiate between the dogs, the cats, the cows. The whole thing about doing Diamond Head is getting there early and doing the walk. Luckily as we walked up a good 40 minutes (well, my son did it much faster as he is an athlete), it started to rain a tad. Thank heavens because it was darn hot even at 8 in the morning. We then grabbed the next bus on the side of the street and spent the day in Waikiki.

If you want to go to Hanauma Bay, it makes more sense to rent a car, spend an hour snorkelling there (check the days that it is open and get there really early as they have a capacity limit) and to forgo Diamond Head entirely. Drive to Hanauma Bay and some of the other beaches (Cinnamon Hat is great) on the east side past Hanauma Bay. There is the Beach Where to Here from Eternity and the famous kiss was filmed on that side not far from Hanauma Bay. Check Frommers or Foders Hawaii and either of those books will help you. We always carry them with us.

My 18 year son and I took the bus. It was right outside the cruise ship Pier. We were on Princess. We were first off the ship - 7:15 am I believe. I do not recall the bus taking an hour - maybe we had an express one. I do recall getting to Diamond Head (yes you are dropped off outside of the crater - but the walk from the bus is maybe 10 minutes) along side the road.) Big Deal. Have you ever crossed the street in Cairo or Alexandria. Now there it is dangerous as you negotiate between the dogs, the cats, the cows. The whole thing about doing Diamond Head is getting there early and doing the walk. Luckily as we walked up a good 40 minutes (well, my son did it much faster as he is an athlete), it started to rain a tad. Thank heavens because it was darn hot even at 8 in the morning. We then grabbed the next bus on the side of the street and spent the day in Waikiki.

If you want to go to Hanauma Bay, it makes more sense to rent a car, spend an hour snorkelling there (check the days that it is open and get there really early as they have a capacity limit) and to forgo Diamond Head entirely. Drive to Hanauma Bay and some of the other beaches (Cinnamon Hat is great) on the east side past Hanauma Bay. There is the Beach Where to Here from Eternity and the famous kiss was filmed on that side not far from Hanauma Bay. Check Frommers or Foders Hawaii and either of those books will help you. We always carry them with us.

Thanks! Did your ship dock next to the Aloha Tower (pier 11) or pier 2 (further away from downtown)?? How did you know which bus # to take?

Thanks! Did your ship dock next to the Aloha Tower (pier 11) or pier 2 (further away from downtown)?? How did you know which bus # to take?

Dave,

I use google maps when I travel. You can put in your departure and arrival destinations. Make sure you click the picture of the bus and it will give you detailed information (sometimes you get more than one route you can take.)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pier+11+Cruise+Ship+Terminal,+Aloha+Tower+Drive,+Honolulu,+HI/Diamond+Head+State+Monument,+Honolulu,+HI/@21.2872031,-157.8486562,14z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x7c006e732f078b89:0x6594277d445ec8b7!2m2!1d-157.8653632!2d21.3081096!1m5!1m1!1s0x7c00728901172099:0x429e0b513230e252!2m2!1d-157.8040943!2d21.2637984!3e3

I would agree, the visitor center is not worth a visit. We are out of shape late 40’s and did the hike. It gets a little tough at the end, but we just took breaks when needed. Just bring lots of water. The views are worth it.

Here is a video of our experience.

Thank you so much! I've been wondering how strenuous this would be, and your video was the perfect answer. Thanks for posting.

Dave, we took a tour bus to diamond head two years ago and the visitor center is next to parking lot so we didn’t even go in. The trail is not difficult at all . My wife took the easy route and I took the steps thru the tunnel. It was not big deal and I am far from a climber as we are in our early sixties . Just take your time the view from the top is well worth it. The whole climb and time at the top and descent took only a few hours. We highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be 70 when we go to Honolulu, I do have Coronary Artery Disease. I walk 30 to 40 minutes 3 - 5 times a week. Does anyone know (any doctors out there???) if I bring water and take lots of rests if this is a possibility for me or should I just give up the idea?

All I can say is that - I have coronary artery disease and 2 stents. I did this when I was younger than you (I was about 60) with the encouragement of my cardiologist. She said to "pace yourself, keep hydrated, rest frequently and use common sense". I was fine. If you are concerned, check with your Dr.

forgot to add - She had done the hike herself and was familiar with it.

All I can say is that - I have coronary artery disease and 2 stents. I did this when I was younger than you (I was about 60) with the encouragement of my cardiologist. She said to "pace yourself, keep hydrated, rest frequently and use common sense". I was fine. If you are concerned, check with your Dr.

forgot to add - She had done the hike herself and was familiar with it.

I forgot to say I've have double bypass surgery and then 2 years later 7 stents in another artery. LOL But your advice is very wise and I will talk to my cardiologist about it and my regular doctor. We have friends who have said, they've done it and I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm thinking they probably didn't rest and I would definitely listen to my body. Thank you very much.