We love to snorkeling, seems like Cozumel as a awesome place to snorkel, so my question is , is belize or Cozumel better ?. Looks like belize is harder to get to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You may want to post both on the individual Ports of Call for more opinions based on experience

Belize

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Cozumel

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Belize being "far better" is a matter of opinion. There are tons of snorkeling sites off the beaches of Cozumel that will be as much fun as it would be in Belize. Just be sure to know your limits and be safe for the tides can be stronger up North as opposed to sites lower on the Island. Just go to any destination and explore it. There be time to go to the other Island another year.

Personally - I like Grand Cayman for snorkeling. To the South of the Cruise Line's Pier no more than a quarter mile is a nice spot. As you swim out about 300 yards you will see a major drop off that brings plenty of fish.

Enjoy your cruise no matter where it takes you :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We just did a sharks and reef snorkel in Belize. It is harder to get to as mentioned. It was a 45 minute boat journey to Cay Caulker. It was AMAZING! The reef was beautiful and the sharks, oh wow!

We did also snorkel in Cozumel. It was really rough so not as good this time. However, we did it about 8 years ago, and it was a beautiful day and beautiful snorkeling.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm not highjacking a post here, but I have a couple of questions about snorkeling.

Can anyone snorkel? I mean, how difficult is it or do you literally just stick your face in the water? Lol

Can you snorkel without having to pay for an expensive excursion?

Is there an age limit? (Minimum age?)

We just did a sharks and reef snorkel in Belize. It is harder to get to as mentioned. It was a 45 minute boat journey to Cay Caulker. It was AMAZING! The reef was beautiful and the sharks, oh wow!

We did also snorkel in Cozumel. It was really rough so not as good this time. However, we did it about 8 years ago, and it was a beautiful day and beautiful snorkeling.

Did you go to Caye Caulker from the cruise ship or as a separate vacation? If it WAS from the cruise ship, was it an excursion or something you arranged privately?

I Googled it. :o It's gorgeous and sounds like a great time, but I wasn't sure how it fit into a cruise day time wise with an almost hour long boat ride.

I hope I'm not highjacking a post here, but I have a couple of questions about snorkeling.

Can anyone snorkel? I mean, how difficult is it or do you literally just stick your face in the water? Lol

Can you snorkel without having to pay for an expensive excursion?

Is there an age limit? (Minimum age?)

Anyone should be able to snorkel if they have the ability to learn how to use a snorkel mask. Young and old if you are comfortable in the water.

I have snorkeled in 3 ft of water off the beach and in 100 ft of water off the side of a catamaran.

Visit a good snorkel/dive shop, they will fit you for a mask and teach you everything you should know. These can be rented for a few hours or few days. Locals can tell you the best shops.

You can even practice in a swimming pool near home ahead of heading on vacation if you have access to a snorkel business at home.

Loved it so much, my DH and I now own full face snorkel masks.

Anyone should be able to snorkel if they have the ability to learn how to use a snorkel mask. Young and old if you are comfortable in the water.

I have snorkeled in 3 ft of water off the beach and in 100 ft of water off the side of a catamaran.

Visit a good snorkel/dive shop, they will fit you for a mask and teach you everything you should know. These can be rented for a few hours or few days. Locals can tell you the best shops.

You can even practice in a swimming pool near home ahead of heading on vacation if you have access to a snorkel business at home.

Loved it so much, my DH and I now own full face snorkel masks.

Thank you! I think I like the "practice at home" idea.