Celebrity-tendering in CA

2lovecruises

I'm looking at a Pacific coast cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse that has stops at the following ports which require tendering, Santa Barbara, Monteray, and Catalina Island. How can I know for sure that I will be able to go ashore in these places in a wheelchair?

Can you walk at all? If not you can depend that you will not be going ashore unless the cruise line provides a "roll-on" tender. The attendants at the regular tender will help you walk on and will lift your chair onto the tender if the chair weighs less than 50 lbs. I have not cruised in California and do not know if any of the ports there use "roll-on" tenders. I would call Celebrity's access line and ask.

In October, we sailed the costal cruise and the only way I could have disembarked was if I could walk down the steps to the tender platform and walk on to the tender. I suggest you contact the Celebrity accessibility department at (866) 592-7225. They can answer any questions you may have regarding taking the wheel chair with you.

I hope you booked an accessible cabin.

I'm looking at a Pacific coast cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse that has stops at the following ports which require tendering, Santa Barbara, Monteray, and Catalina Island. How can I know for sure that I will be able to go ashore in these places in a wheelchair?

pretty sure SB was not tender port. I don't remember if Catalina is. if you can do stairs/steep ramps you will be allowed to board the tender and fold up the chair/carry it. if you cannot transfer or handle stairs( some times the only way to get on the tender is down a steep flight of stairs) then you will not be allowed on the tender.

SB is an easy port to get around. . so is Catalina. Cannery Row can be difficult on the cobblestones and areas where there is no sidewalk. . I suggest a walk to Archie's for garlic fries. your taste buds will thank me. then have some wine at Taste of Monterey.

In October, we sailed the costal cruise and the only way I could have disembarked was if I could walk down the steps to the tender platform and walk on to the tender. I suggest you contact the Celebrity accessibility department at (866) 592-7225. They can answer any questions you may have regarding taking the wheel chair with you.

I hope you booked an accessible cabin.

pretty sure SB was not tender port. I don't remember if Catalina is. if you can do stairs/steep ramps you will be allowed to board the tender and fold up the chair/carry it. if you cannot transfer or handle stairs( some times the only way to get on the tender is down a steep flight of stairs) then you will not be allowed on the tender.

SB is an easy port to get around. . so is Catalina. Cannery Row can be difficult on the cobblestones and areas where there is no sidewalk. . I suggest a walk to Archie's for garlic fries. your taste buds will thank me. then have some wine at Taste of Monterey.

According to the itinerary posted on Celebrity's website, Santa Barbara, Catalina and Monterey are all tendered ports. Calling Celebrity really isn't going to do anything as the reps will only state that the individual will have to be able to walk up/down steps to board the tender. Being that tenders can change without notice the OP really won't know for certain if they'll be able to board the tender at any of these ports until arrival at the actual port. If the OP is not able to walk up/down steps to board the tender that at this time he/she needs to plan on not being able to go ashore at these ports.

Additionally even if the OP is able to walk up/down steps to board the tender, the Captain , not the Special Needs Department ,makes the decision if any passenger with a disability will be allowed to board the tenders due to weather and or sea conditions. This also won't be known until the actual port day.

Monterrey and Santa Barbara would be using ship’s tenders.

Catalina has the potential of using the Catalina Ferries. Carnival uses these and they are ADA compliant. No idea if Celebrity will be using these.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a scooter user and I know it's different from using a wheelchair, but unless you can walk up and down metal stairs and walk onto what could be a bouncy tender, it's something only you can decide. I've been on Eclipse and I've not been able to leave the ship in their tender ports unless they use a local tender that's roll on, and not their lifeboats, which they use as tenders. And, Celebrity isn't known to use local tenders very often.

I’ve tendered a few times on Celebrity, most recently in Grand Caymen where they use commercial tenders. They required people to be able to walk using the ramp there in February, no chairs.

Santa Barbara they will use the ship’s lifeboats and you must be able to do the little exterior steps.

Things must have changed with Celebrity because the Eclipse does have a lift arrangement to take you down the stairs onto the tender platform, and my wife used this and a shore based roll on tender when we visited Villefranche about 5 years ago.

Things must have changed with Celebrity because the Eclipse does have a lift arrangement to take you down the stairs onto the tender platform, and my wife used this and a shore based roll on tender when we visited Villefranche about 5 years ago.

The issue isn't whether or not the Eclipses has a lift to get the individual to the platform, The issues is that Celebrity uses its life boats as tenders that do not have roll-on capacities for the 3 ports in question.