Big Mike's Guide - The Best Beach in Bermuda for Small Kids or Couples Romance!

hamlettm

I wanted to start another guide and tell you guys about the "Best Beach" in Bermuda for small children or romance (if many small children are not around lol). I understand some of you may NOT agree with me on this as we all have our favorite spots. However, this is our families favorite beach and I'll tell you why.

We have been to Bermuda two times now and visited many beaches. We find that most beaches (when we visited) had very rough seas and some pretty strong undertow going on. Also many of them are just super crowded. I don't really like crowds and I'm not one of these guys that jumps in the ocean and swims out half a mile (yes a guy did that a day we were in Bermuda). So we walked up and down the beach looking for that ONE spot.

The cove we found is called Jobson's Bay and the reason it's so nice is because it surrounded by rocks and cliffs. It only has a small opening for ocean water to get into the bay. When we came up on it we saw about 6 small kids with floats lounging in what looked like pool water, it was that calm. The rest of the ocean in other locations had 4 - 8 foot waves and heavy undertow.

We also saw a few couples in the back of the bay holding each other and talking. So this location is good for younger kids and romantics alike. The nice thing is your kids and you can't get sucked out into the ocean. =)

You can also climb on the rocks besides the bay and get perfect views below and even bring snorkel gear to see the 4 foot long fish we noticed in the water while we swam.

Here are some images of the the best beach in Bermuda. :eek: You can see the couple towards the back being friendly and my wife snorkeling.

photo_7.jpg

Here is the small beach entrance to the cove.

photo_6.jpg

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

QUESTION: How deep is the water?

ANSWER: That depends on the tide, when we went (around 5pm) it was about 4 feet deep at the back of the cove.

QUESTION: Is it really like a pool? No waves?

ANSWER: Most of the time the water is really calm, but waves will get in when tide gets high. I can say it's the calmest waters around tho.

QUESTION: Can you get on the rocks around the cove?

ANSWER: Yes you can and it's very easy, on the left side you walk up a small sand hill and you can see down about 40 feet. Watch your kids here it's not safe for young ones!

QUESTION: Can you let your children play here without them getting hurt? Swept to sea, knocked down, etc?

ANSWER: Yes, as I said above we noticed many small kids playing on their own and having a blast. In the age rang of 3 - 15 I think.

QUESTION: How can this be romantic if kids are around?

ANSWER: You may not see anyone when you go, but if kids are around go to the back and you'll be all alone. One couple was on the side laying down in the sand and water.

QUESTION: Ok I'm sold, how can I get to this beach and how long does it take?

ANSWER: This is a tough one as you may have a different form of transportation than I did (we had scooters) so here are all the answers I could come up with.

Scooters, Taxi, Bus, Etc - It's about 25 minutes to the beach. Here is the exact view from Mapquest.

See the map yourself - CLICK HERE -->>> Dockyard to Warwick Long Bay

royalnavy.jpg

BY SCOOTER: Now that you can see on MapQuest where to go simply follow the route and when you come up on the Horseshoe Bay entrance simply pass that by and go to your SECOND entrance after that which should be The Warwick Longbay Parking. It's about a 3 minute walk from that point, see below.

best_beach2.jpg

BY TAXI OR BUS

I'm not sure of the exact cost for this and you would probably have to walk back to Horseshoe Bay when your ready to leave. I did this once because we parked at that location and walked down. It's through the sand and a pretty long walk (about 1 mile). If anyone knows if you can easily get a taxi or bus to this location please update below.

Here is a map for walking from Horseshoe beach.

best_beach_route.jpg

These are two different paths you can take.

QUESTION: Any bathrooms, showers or changing areas around?

ANSWER: Nope, so use the ocean for your bathroom and bring plenty of water with you!

QUESTION: So you really think this is the best beach location?

ANSWER: Again, for us it was because we could relax, waves didn't toss us all around and we could get out of the hot sun. We loved it and kept going back each time!

GOOD LUCK and if you visit this beach let us know what you thought.

hamlettm,

Thanks for the post & pics. This really helps for our trip to Bermuda. Just can't wait to actually see all this stuff in person.

Craig

Your welcome, come back here after your visit and let me know how you liked the little cove. =)

Also forgot this image, it shows the beach names better. The RED LINE is the route you WALK (over a mile) if you take the Horseshoe Beach route. You can change, shower off and use the bathroom at Horseshoe Bay.

bermuda_best_beach.jpg

Edited by hamlettm

I just wanted to add that if you are standing in Jobson's cove, about where your pick pile of towels and noodles are......you look out to a cut between the rocks.....

If you are an EXCELLENT SWIMMER and an experienced snorkler/Diver, you can swim through the split and you will see the ost unbelievable fish you have ever seen. Big fish and very colorful figh......like fish the size of a three year old....lol

But again, if you are not a great smimmer it is too dangerous to go out there....because you are in open ocean and you will get slammed against the rocks and very hurt. Even a great swimmer should have fins on to go out there.

I just wanted to add that if you are standing in Jobson's cove, about where your pick pile of towels and noodles are......you look out to a cut between the rocks.....

If you are an EXCELLENT SWIMMER and an experienced snorkler/Diver, you can swim through the split and you will see the ost unbelievable fish you have ever seen. Big fish and very colorful figh......like fish the size of a three year old....lol

But again, if you are not a great smimmer it is too dangerous to go out there....because you are in open ocean and you will get slammed against the rocks and very hurt. Even a great swimmer should have fins on to go out there.

Actually the day we were in the cove 4 of those fish were inside the cove with us and they were at least 3 feet long, maybe longer, they were rainbow parrot fish and very pretty. We also had about 20,000 of those little minnow fish around us.

As far as swimming out between those rocks I would NOT suggest doing that unless you want to get hurt. The little area is about 4 feet wide and if one wrong wave hits you your going to smash into the rocks pretty hard. Also the water rushes back out really fast in that one little area and you would get sucked out. So while this is a good idea, please don't get hurt & try it.

Rainbow_Parrot_Fish_jpg.png

Edited by hamlettm

Better known as Jobson's Cove, it is a very calm little spot alongside gorgeous Warwick Long Bay. Do watch the rocks on the beach that are covered by the sand. These 2 beaches provide the best of both worlds and are a short walk apart. We stay across the street and usually have these all to ourselves so sshhh!

Better known as Jobson's Cove, it is a very calm little spot alongside gorgeous Warwick Long Bay. Do watch the rocks on the beach that are covered by the sand. These 2 beaches provide the best of both worlds and are a short walk apart. We stay across the street and usually have these all to ourselves so sshhh!

Yes that's the best part (No people hardly) and if you wait until around 6 some days 5 - 8 people will go on top of the rocks between Jobson's Cove and Warwick beach and sing along with instruments. =)

Big Mike, thank you for ALL your words of wisdom! We will be heading here next week, and NOT renting scooters(thanks to your other guide)

We will report back when we return!

Your welcome, enjoy yourself!

• 3 months later...

My favorite thing about WLB is being able to watch the Longtails fly together in and out of the cliffs. Beautiful sight on a gorgeous beach. Jobson's Cove is a nice small cove to visit as well. But WLB is a nice, long pink sand beach usually devoid of people except for those of us staying across the street so you should have a very peaceful day there.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Mike

Thank you for all the great info on the beaches!

In the mid 80's I visited Bermuda but it was so long ago I don't really remember it.

This summer we are sailing Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda for my son's 18th birthday! We are a beach and ocean loving family and your info helped a lot. Thank you!

My son loves to boogie board/body surf so I've been doing a lot of research on all the beaches but can't seem to find any with bigger waves. It looks like Elbow Beach has some. Have you been there?

We are planning to walk the trails you have shown and visit as many as possible (will be docked at Kings Wharf for 3 days).

Happy Sailing to everyone!!

~robin and brian

Carnival Legend 2008

Carnival Miracle 2010

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Lol Robin & Brian...

Yes Elbow has a bit more than HB or WLB, depending on the weather and the seas that day.

There is a ton of info here, just search for any interests you have. Everyone has different opinions so you can find a variety of info here..

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The secret is out...:eek::eek: we had heard about Jobson's Cove from a family member who has been going there for years. We were hoping to keep it just our secret ;).... we'll be going back there in June but also hope to try some more off the beaten path beaches since we'll be renting scooters (great thread BTW).

• 11 months later...
The secret is out...:eek::eek: we had heard about Jobson's Cove from a family member who has been going there for years. We were hoping to keep it just our secret ;).... we'll be going back there in June but also hope to try some more off the beaten path beaches since we'll be renting scooters (great thread BTW).

Hope you guys had a great time, glad you enjoyed the post! :D

• 1 month later...

While I know this is a very old thread that has been brought back to life, this is the first time I have seen it.

We already have this place on our "list" of things to do in Bermuda next month, but it sure helps to see the maps. We plan on taking the bus to Warwick and then making our way back to Horseshoe, stopping along the way at the various beaches. I can't wait. :D