Discover Scuba- Should we try this?

RVSeaLover

Costa Maya- Discover Scuba & Beach Experience

3 hrs 30 min. $143/adult

A little background: My husband and I are going on our first cruise soon. We have never been scuba diving but are adventurous and would love to see if we like it enough to pursue cerification. We are both fit (we’re runners & do strength training). Not only have we not dove, we have not, yet, been snorkeling either. We do both love swimming and love the ocean, however. We are not claustrophobic.

I came across this beginner/uncertified ship excursion while looking for snorkeling or snuba possibilities, and it caught my interest.

Description: “First-time or non-certified divers can experience the wonders of scuba diving. You'll get fitted with scuba gear and be given an introductory lesson to scuba diving at an eco-friendly dive center. A short boat ride takes you to the magnificent Meso-American Barrier Reef system, the largest barrier reef system in the Northern Hemisphere. Its dive sites feature an abundance of beautiful corals, reef formations and marine life. Afterward, stay in Mahahual or return to the ship.”

Would you experienced folks recommend this excursion for beginners? Has anyone done this excursion before? Thanks!

Discover Scuba dives are commonly available. They are done throughout the world, and many divers got their first introduction to diving through a Discover Scuba experience. Properly conducted it is a safe enough activity.

The rules dictate a maximum depth of 40 feet, and a ratio of no more than 4 participants to each instructor. Additionally a scuba instructor, not merely a dive guide, dive master or assistant instructor must conduct the Discover Scuba dive.

You should expect some class room time to learn about safety issues, and the basics of diving.

The quality of the experience is largely dependent upon the instructor; but additionally the location has much to do with it. Mahahual has nice reef at the limited depths that Discover Scuba allows.

The Cruise Ship Excursion price of $143.00 is not your best deal. My favorite shop in Costa Maya (and maybe the world), Gyspsea Divers (www.gypseadivers.com) offers a Discover Scuba dive for $85.00 USD. If you email Catherine and Abel there, they could get you set, and I am sure you'd find it even more enjoyable than the ship's excursion.

Regardless of where you go to do a Discover Scuba, you should expect to be asked to fill out a health questionnaire like this:

https://www.padi.com/documents/padi-...ate%20v201.pdf

If you answer "yes" to any of the questions, you would need a doctor's sign off. If all answers are "no" then you're set. If you want to do a Discover Scuba on a cruise, and see anything that would be a "yes", please take the form in the link to your doctor, and get it signed off, as it will be too late as you're standing in the dive shop.

Have a great time.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you so much, omeinv, for your informational reply! :) We are good to go with the health questionaire. I really appreciate your suggestion of gypseadivers. I’m going to run your suggestion by my husband and we’ll likely take your advice! (y)

Thank you so much, omeinv, for your informational reply! :) We are good to go with the health questionaire. I really appreciate your suggestion of gypseadivers. I’m going to run your suggestion by my husband and we’ll likely take your advice! (y)

Great! I know you'll have a great time if you do. Heck, if you're there the last full week in May, we can say "hi".

Harris

Denver, CO

I recommend that you try it at a local dive shop before you do one on a trip. If your local shop does not have their own pool, they normally rent time at a local high school pool. The cost is $25 - $35 And many shops have pool time reserved every month. Those excursions will not be able to give you one on one experience and if you have issues with your mask fogging or leaking, you may just say "screw it". Another issue is clearing your ears. That can end a dive very fast. I have worked with people for more than 30 minutes before they were able to clear their ears. I also recommend purchasing your own mask. If you are thinking about tying a scuba dive, then you probably enjoy snorkeling and a good mask is important in that activity also. Everyone's face is a little different and there is a wide variety of shapes and sizes of masks. A dive shop will have a large selection for you to choose from and they are experienced in fitting them to your face. They are well worth the money. Please don't buy a mask at Walmart or other discount stores. Chances are pretty high that it will not fit perfectly.

I did a try scuba class at a resort 35 years ago and had a difficult time breathing. I had to really suck hard to get air and thought "this is not fun". Not all tour companes maintain their equipment. Same for snorkeling equipment. I remember wiping out the mouthpiece of a snorkel and the wipe was black. No way I would breath through one.

RVSeaLover, I really think you will feel more comfortable and enjoy it more if you do a class at home before you go. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy.

The primary risk in a Discover Scuba dive is that you'll soon sign up for a certification class and all of the (eventual) expenses associated with that.

But its a good sport for a couple - you usually have a dive buddy.

Yes, we are well aware and willing to accept that risk! :)

I recommend that you try it at a local dive shop before you do one on a trip. If your local shop does not have their own pool, they normally rent time at a local high school pool. The cost is $25 - $35 And many shops have pool time reserved every month. Those excursions will not be able to give you one on one experience and if you have issues with your mask fogging or leaking, you may just say "screw it". Another issue is clearing your ears. That can end a dive very fast. I have worked with people for more than 30 minutes before they were able to clear their ears. I also recommend purchasing your own mask. If you are thinking about tying a scuba dive, then you probably enjoy snorkeling and a good mask is important in that activity also. Everyone's face is a little different and there is a wide variety of shapes and sizes of masks. A dive shop will have a large selection for you to choose from and they are experienced in fitting them to your face. They are well worth the money. Please don't buy a mask at Walmart or other discount stores. Chances are pretty high that it will not fit perfectly.

I did a try scuba class at a resort 35 years ago and had a difficult time breathing. I had to really suck hard to get air and thought "this is not fun". Not all tour companes maintain their equipment. Same for snorkeling equipment. I remember wiping out the mouthpiece of a snorkel and the wipe was black. No way I would breath through one.

RVSeaLover, I really think you will feel more comfortable and enjoy it more if you do a class at home before you go. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy.

Thank you, compozer, for the great advice! We are very interested and will definitely consider looking up a local dive shop. Your reasoning certainly does make sense. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I apologize for the delay on responding. We are traveling and I haven’t been on the internet as much over the past week. I appreciate everyone’s advice and your sharing of your experiences. You’ve all been very helpful!

Yes, certainly you shall try it. This unforgettable experience may start your career in diving. I did DSD in 2004 and I fell in love with scuba diving.

Same for me, but it was 2011, the same year I did my first marathon.

• 1 month later...

I hope you did the dives and enjoyed them! They are a great way to get into diving!

The other advantage of doing the discover scuba dives is that if you decide to get your dive certification, you can count the discover scuba dives toward your open water dive requirement (at least for PADI).

If I recall you need your discover scuba dive instructor or the dive shop to register your dives and you need to do the certification within a certain period of time after.

I hope you did the dives and enjoyed them! They are a great way to get into diving!

The other advantage of doing the discover scuba dives is that if you decide to get your dive certification, you can count the discover scuba dives toward your open water dive requirement (at least for PADI).

If I recall you need your discover scuba dive instructor or the dive shop to register your dives and you need to do the certification within a certain period of time after.

Thanks! My husband ended up thinking that we should try SNUBA first, and so that’s what we did. We LOVED it so much, however, that we paid extra to do it a second time. After that second time, both our dive guide and my husband agreed that we really should pursue SCUBA certification. Of course, I agree with both of them! I think that diving will be up our alley! I think we’ll find a reputable dive shop and go through the steps for open water cert. The next time we cruise, I hope to be able to take some great SCUBA excursions! 🙂

So glad you had a good time and will soon be joining the diving family. Hope you find shop with great instructors. Do some research. Most are very good but I have heard of a few that are not the best. Check reviews. And enjoy!!!

So glad you had a good time and will soon be joining the diving family. Hope you find shop with great instructors. Do some research. Most are very good but I have heard of a few that are not the best. Check reviews. And enjoy!!!

If home is where your RV takes you, you have a huge advantage, in that you can do your open water class and pool work wherever you would like, and then go to whatever place suits you best to do your open water check out dives.

Here in Denver I like to think we can offer great class and pool, but the best places for open water are not here local.

Harris

Denver, CO