Going from smaller ships to a much larger ship.

schazzy

As you can tell from my previous cruise list below, I have only cruised on Fantasy Class and 1 soon to be 2 Spirit Class ships. DH has only ever been on Fantasy Class before so he's really excited about sailing on the Miracle soon. We decided for a couple reasons to cancel our November Ecstasy cruise (it was just a 4 day to the Bahamas) and book something new to us for next year.

DH's stipulations were 7 days, in May next year, no Nassau or Freeport, and nothing from a port we would have to fly to. Seriously, he HATES flying. So, that pretty much leaves Port Canaveral and the Carnival Breeze and I'm looking at the May 11th sailing going to Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. With the exception of GT, these are new ports for us.

To be honest thought, I'm kinda nervous about going from the smallest classes of ships, to the 2nd largest class in the fleet. I'd originally thought maybe the Sunshine would be our next step, but the only cruises around that time frame are 4 or 5 days and going to the Bahamas...Soooooo

We looked at pictures and a walk-through tour video and I know several people on here enjoy the Dream-class ships, and DH is on-board with it. Me on the other hand is conflicted between "Cool, new experience!" and "OMG this is a huge, labyrinth of a ship, I am so going to get lost on this thing!"

Am I being silly?

I think you need to consider it a new adventure; the larger ships have a lot more to offer - in particular a wider variety of restaurants/eating venues. If you study the deck plans, really, all ships pretty much function the same for public spaces. You have a lobby, and the show lounge, shops and library etc that tend to surround that general area. All of them have a promenade that allows you to travel the length of the ship. Then you have the Lido deck - self explanatory and then toward the front the spa/sun. Serentity can be tucked either aft or bow. So all in all, not very complicated.

To be honest thought, I'm kinda nervous about going from the smallest classes of ships, to the 2nd largest class in the fleet. I'd originally thought maybe the Sunshine would be our next step, but the only cruises around that time frame are 4 or 5 days and going to the Bahamas...Soooooo

Just want to point out that, the Miracle is a Spirit Class ship, it's the third SMALLEST ship class in the fleet. There are 12 ships larger than the Miracle, 5 classes. (After the Spirit Class you have the Conquest Class, then the Splendor Class, then the Dream Class, then Sunshine Class, then Vista Class)

You're still going to be on a small(er) ship. FWIW, the Fantasy is 70k/GT and the Miracle is 88k/GT so it's not that much larger. You will be fine! (The Horizon is 133k/GT)

Edited by teknoge3k
typo

The larger ships to me seem more crowded and less personal than the smaller ships. That being said you will still have fun. Your gonna give up some things and gain other options. Spa areas are usually better on bigger ships. And as long as it’s a carnival ship you won’t get too lost they’re all similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just want to point out that, the Miracle is a Spirit Class ship, it's the third SMALLEST ship class in the fleet. There are 12 ships larger than the Miracle, 5 classes. (After the Spirit Class you have the Conquest Class, then the Splendor Class, then the Dream Class, then Sunshine Class, then Vista Class)

You're still going to be on a small(er) ship. FWIW, the Fantasy is 70k/GT and the Miracle is 88k/GT so it's not that much larger. You will be fine! (The Horizon is 133k/GT)

I was referring to the Breeze as being the larger ship.

What y'all say is true, I guess it comes down to the whole needing to step out of the whole "comfort zone and sticking with what you know" thing and just being little overwhelmed by the size of the ship. I mean, I'm excited by all the different food options and such, and that's probably going to be my main driving force behind giving it a shot.

Thanks everyone for your input! :D

Our first non-Fantasy class cruise was on the Dream. We had no issues at all with the transition. Check out the specialty restaurants and Cloud 9 Spa. The best part of the Dream class is the Tandoori for lunch. Aft on the Lido deck. Amazing Indian food and no waiting.

What is also nice is that having been on a smaller ship, you can take time to really experience the 'new to you' features and then visit your old favs and not have everything be brand new all at once.

We did exactly what you are considering. Our first cruise was on the Ecstasy. Our second was on the Breeze. Personally, I loved the larger ship. It just seemed that there was so much more to do, more food options, everything. Yet I did not find the size to be overwhelming or confusing at all. It was easy to get around. I've seen people complain here that the Breeze felt crowded, but I didn't feel that way at all. I mean, if you go to the buffet at noon on any ship it is likely to be busy. Likewise the pool will be crowded on a hot, sunny sea day. But that's on any ship. We were very happy on the Breeze and I think you will be too. Enjoy your cruise!

Our first non-Fantasy class cruise was on the Dream. We had no issues at all with the transition. Check out the specialty restaurants and Cloud 9 Spa. The best part of the Dream class is the Tandoori for lunch. Aft on the Lido deck. Amazing Indian food and no waiting.

What is also nice is that having been on a smaller ship, you can take time to really experience the 'new to you' features and then visit your old favs and not have everything be brand new all at once.

I saw the Tandoori and that does excite me, I do enjoy Indian food!

And yeah, it will definitely be a new experience, and it'll be a change from the glitzy 90's of the Fantasy class! :D

What y'all say is true, I guess it comes down to the whole needing to step out of the whole "comfort zone and sticking with what you know" thing and just being little overwhelmed by the size of the ship. I mean, I'm excited by all the different food options and such, and that's probably going to be my main driving force behind giving it a shot.

Thanks everyone for your input! :D

My parents had recently sailed on a smaller NCL ship. I then took them on Harmony (worlds largest ship) and they made a comment that as big as the ship is, they were surprised that it doesn't feel that big. We have Magic (same size as Breeze) next year. No ships feel "that" big. It's still a ship. Breeze isn't even very big by todays standards. You'll be just fine and you'll probably love it.

We did exactly what you are considering. Our first cruise was on the Ecstasy. Our second was on the Breeze. Personally, I loved the larger ship. It just seemed that there was so much more to do, more food options, everything. Yet I did not find the size to be overwhelming or confusing at all. It was easy to get around. I've seen people complain here that the Breeze felt crowded, but I didn't feel that way at all. I mean, if you go to the buffet at noon on any ship it is likely to be busy. Likewise the pool will be crowded on a hot, sunny sea day. But that's on any ship. We were very happy on the Breeze and I think you will be too. Enjoy your cruise!

Yeah, I hear a lot about "big ships, big crowds" so, yeah, that was another thing bothering me. Glad to hear you didn't experience that!

Yeah, I hear a lot about "big ships, big crowds" so, yeah, that was another thing bothering me. Glad to hear you didn't experience that!

Another way to view it, the bigger and newer ships are designed after learning lessons from the older ships. So they are usually better at crowd control, among other things. Lots of improvements.

My parents had recently sailed on a smaller NCL ship. I then took them on Harmony (worlds largest ship) and they made a comment that as big as the ship is, they were surprised that it doesn't feel that big. We have Magic (same size as Breeze) next year. No ships feel "that" big. It's still a ship. Breeze isn't even very big by todays standards. You'll be just fine and you'll probably love it.

Well, that's reassuring, and yeah, the Breeze isn't large compared to the Cities of the Seas! :')

I have to tell you, the Breeze is my favorite CCL ship. I've been on her several times and am really excited that she's coming to Pt. Canaveral.

I was just recently on the Miracle for the second time & had a very good time. In July I'll be on the Paradise for the 3rd time. It had been awhile since I had been on one of the smaller ships, and I was afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it that much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I think you will love the Breeze. It's a beautiful ship and I never found it to be overly crowded. You mentioned the Sunshine. I have to say that as far as crowds go, the Sunshine was the only ship that I felt was very overcrowded - particularly the Lido deck on sea days. At the same time, I really liked parts of the ship - the Havana Bar area for example.

As you can see from my signature, I've been on quite a few CCL ships, and have enjoyed different things about each one. There are just some that I didn't like quite as much as others.

I have to tell you, the Breeze is my favorite CCL ship. I've been on her several times and am really excited that she's coming to Pt. Canaveral.

You never know, it might become my favorite too! :D

I was just recently on the Miracle for the second time & had a very good time. In July I'll be on the Paradise for the 3rd time. It had been awhile since I had been on one of the smaller ships, and I was afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it that much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Miracle, I can't wait to get on board in less than 10 days!

I think you will love the Breeze. It's a beautiful ship and I never found it to be overly crowded. You mentioned the Sunshine. I have to say that as far as crowds go, the Sunshine was the only ship that I felt was very overcrowded - particularly the Lido deck on sea days. At the same time, I really liked parts of the ship - the Havana Bar area for example.

I've heard that the Sunshine can be a bit crowded, but with her moving to Charleston, I was figuring it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Might try to do Bermuda in 2020 on her.

As you can see from my signature, I've been on quite a few CCL ships, and have enjoyed different things about each one. There are just some that I didn't like quite as much as others.

Yeah, every ship, even ones in the same class, has it's own personality!

We are doing that same itinerary next March. I’m “over the moon” excited to be going on the Breeze. I absolutely love the Dream class ships, and the Breeze has been on my bucket list since she first set sail.

My first cruise was on the Fascination. My second was on the Magic. I didn’t really feel “lost” but I sure thought there was wayyy more to do and I couldn’t believe all the different places to eat! I’d bet you will have a great time!