In your opinion, what is a must see port on a cruise of the Far East?

Coastaljen

I know the Far East itineraries are SO varied. That is why I am asking. I am booked on one now, and I look at all the other options for Far East cruises, and I have no clue if the itinerary is what I want. Some go to South Korea and some go to Japan even more than the one I am on.

Normally I am set when I can travel, but there is a chance I can modify that somewhat this year, and that opens up a lot of options.

Does anybody with experience have any ports they really, really enjoyed?

I met someone from Asia (yes, that is all I know about the guy) on the last cruise. We talked maybe five minutes while waiting in line for the future cruise consultant, and this guy said.. Oh.. I think Japan is best. OK. That is all I heard, and that was one person.

we went a couple of years ago with Regent : Tokyo to Hong Kong. I LOVED every port including our overnight to Beijing and Xi'an. This Feb we are going on another Asia cruise, this time Singapore to Shanghai, stopping in Thailand, cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong again...You get the picture; it is a very large part of the world with so many choices. That being said I would return to anywhere in China. A fascinating country. For whatever reason we were just not that impressed with Japan.

---------------

Helen

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I am not booked to leave until December 09. Would you would remember to come back and let me know about your next trip in February?

Unfortunately most of the ports you loved I won't be going to on this trip..makes me wonder.

The ship I am on holds 600 people. It starts in Shanghai. Then goes to Okinawa-Japan, Keelung-Taiwan, Hong Kong (overnight), Da Nang-Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City-Vietnam, Singapore, Ko Samui-Thailand, and ends in Bangkok-Thailand.

I wish I knew someone who had been to some of these ports. I guess it is like any cruise. I will have to go back to get other ports later.

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I am not booked to leave until December 09. Would you would remember to come back and let me know about your next trip in February?

Unfortunately most of the ports you loved I won't be going to on this trip..makes me wonder.

The ship I am on holds 600 people. It starts in Shanghai. Then goes to Okinawa-Japan, Keelung-Taiwan, Hong Kong (overnight), Da Nang-Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City-Vietnam, Singapore, Ko Samui-Thailand, and ends in Bangkok-Thailand.

I wish I knew someone who had been to some of these ports. I guess it is like any cruise. I will have to go back to get other ports later.

JMHO, but Taiwan and Ko Samui could be left off the itinerary. You miss Halong Bay, one of the world's great sites (especially on an overnite on a junk). There is soooo much to see in Vietnam (especially if you are a boomer and have ANY connection to the War). And Ko Samui is just another Thai beach resort. You could EASILY visit post cruise IF you have had a driving need to see a Thai beach resort. Otherwise, Tiger Temple/Bridge on the River Kwai/WW II cemetary have much more meaning than a beach day. JMHO

we are booked for the tiger temple in Thailand and overnight in Bangkok at the Oriental. Really looking forward to it. Greatam, got any advice on what to do in Nha Trang? Just looks like a beach stop to me? Coastaljen, you can count on it, I always appreciate the help I get here and am happy to report my experience for others planning purposes. Shanghai and Hong Kong are both great ports. Can't help with the others yet but will be in Bangkok, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City and Danang and will let you know our thoughts. How fun it is to plan!

--------------------

Helen

Thanks.

It would rather go in the fall than in the spring (if I switched times), but I don't want to go during typhoon season. I just want to place my odds that we will get into ports. I am surprised so many ships travel in the fall.

Right now I am keeping what I have since it is over a year out, and I will know in January if I can definitely switch to spring. I think it will still be o.k. because it will be over a year out, so prices shouldn't go up much on the ones I am eyeing. Holland is offering an amazing 28 day itinerary with lots of ports March 2010. However, that would mean no cruise for awhile because of expenses with being gone that long (ie: pet sitter).

Thanks. I thought Hiroshima would be a must see for me.

I think I will go through and do a spreadsheet of every far east cruise during the time I can go and see which ones hit the most "must sees." I also like that some overnight in the cities. That is a nice plus.

With all the information provided, I checked cruises, and it looks like my itinerary is pretty good. The only thing is if I can switch away from the holiday cruise to an identical cruise before or after the one booked the air is about $900 different. Of course I can only check this Nov-Jan, but it gives me an idea of the difference. The cruise price itself really is the same price regardless of when I take it... amazing.

airfare is a killer on this itinerary. We did the Amex 2 for 1 biz class fares and are still paying over 11k. My husband spent some time in Amsterdam in the

70s and is looking to go back. I would love to do it during tulip season and on a cruise but cant possibly do 28 days!

------------------

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey... I see your sailing date. How come you don't have a Roll Call going? I checked and couldn't find one??? We are seriously thinking about this cruise also. It looks amazing!

Wow. Something happened when the board went down a day or so ago.

All of the roll calls (about 4) regarding the Far East on Ocean Princess were deleted. That is weird. I thought they might have deleted mine because nobody joined me, but there were conversations on the other ones. They had the same itinerary with spring 2010 dates.

I am booked on this one, but I am going to decide for sure whether to stick with it or change to a spring 2010 date. It all depends if I can change my work dates in the spring. If not, I am buying the airfare and keeping the Christmas cruise.

Hi! Oh good... I thought I was missing something. Well, maybe you will have a few more to add to your Roll Call soon. We are trying to get some things squared away so we can do the Christmas cruise. It sure looks like a nice itinerary.

I did check some airfares and wowzer... open jaw from SLC to Shanghai and then home from Bangkok is HUGE money.

Do you know much about this ship?

The airfare is cheaper than what I spent on Christmas to South America. However, given the fact I "may" for once in my life be able to travel in February next year, I may switch to another sailing. I will have the ff miles if Delta is still in business. Not buying a ticket can save a huge chunk, and even buying a ticket for February can save a nice chunk over Christmas. However, I definitely want this itinerary.

I am really undecided at the moment. I have an FCC I could also use, but I don't want to cancel and rebook because I may switch dates.

I know nothing about the ship.

The airfare is cheaper than what I spent on Christmas to South America. However, given the fact I "may" for once in my life be able to travel in February next year, I may switch to another sailing. I will have the ff miles if Delta is still in business. Not buying a ticket can save a huge chunk, and even buying a ticket for February can save a nice chunk over Christmas. However, I definitely want this itinerary.

I am really undecided at the moment. I have an FCC I could also use, but I don't want to cancel and rebook because I may switch dates.

I know nothing about the ship.

I think Delta will definitely still be in business :) It certainly is our airline of choice. BUT... they just finished increasing the amount of skymiles needed to go anywhere. We are doing the Med. in June 09, and I just got our tickets with skymiles, and it took HUGE amounts more than what I thought it would be three months ago, AND, I just went back in to "think" about changing dates for a longer cruise, and the requirements have gone up again. So, we will be sticking with our original plan. That is good to know about South America, as that was another cruise we were tossing around...

Yeah... the itinerary is almost perfect... if it just went to Beijing also, it would be. This is the only time we can go, so I sure hope it works out.

Well, keep in touch and hopefully we have someone on our Roll Call with us.

I just met with my boss. I will be staying on the Christmas cruise. I hope you can go. I am going to just plan on buying my ticket, and saving the miles for Summer 2010 instead.

I will be rescheduling the July 09 vacation instead.

I just met with my boss. I will be staying on the Christmas cruise. I hope you can go. I am going to just plan on buying my ticket, and saving the miles for Summer 2010 instead.

I will be rescheduling the July 09 vacation instead.

That is great! You should go start another Roll Call:) I hope we will know something in a few weeks and then I will post over there. I don't want to jinx it until it happens, and then I will tell you all about it. This is the cruise of choice for us... and the time of year. How cool would it be to spend next Christmas in China!

Yeah... It does sound neat when you say it that way. :-)

OK I am going to be waiting to hear from you in a few weeks.

I always knew I could do Christmas, but I was hoping to fly at a less expensive time of year. Oh well. It doesn't matter.

Archived