FLL on Southwest - Ever missed early flight?

sharse

I know the risks of an early flight. Right now I'm actually booked on a 7:00pm return flight, but I have a question if y'all don't mind.

Has anyone been booked on an early SWA flight and actually missed it because the ship was late, customs delayed, whatever? I'm wondering how SWA responded. Did they let you on the next flight? Was it a pain? Not a big deal?

I'll be on Allure in June and am watching prices. There is a 9:45am departure and another at 10:50, and then one a little after noon. I'm watching prices (love how flexible SWA change policy is!) and if the price drops on the 9:45am I was considering changing... BUT was hoping to hear from anyone who actually missed an early flight. Thanks!

I have been told by SW that if you cancel before boarding is done, they will give you the paid fare in credit towards another flight. Their customer service has always been wonderful in my experience, but if they aren't able to do anything else, you would at least not lose the money already paid toward a ticket, and could us it to re-book a later flight.

As long as you call and cancel 10 minutes prior to the flight. I would take a 9:55AM flight in a heart beat. Do self-assist before 7AM and you'll easily make the flight. If there is a rare circumstance and the ship is delayed, just like your taxi breaking down or an accident on the highway..... things happen... then call Southwest and reschedule for a later flight.

We fly SW and book the 9:55a.m flight with no problems. We self disembark with our carryons by 7:30 and arrive at FLL before 8:00. We have TSA status, so we're usually at the gate @8:10. Hope this info helps! We have sailed about 20 times and have never had a late arrival in port.

Like others have said, call SW and ask them what options you have. I know it also depends on what status you have with SW how standbys and price differences are handled if you change your original flight.

Happy cruising!

As flexible as Southwest is, their flights go out nearly full, especially from FLL in a weekend. I wouldn’t depend on them having any availability on those later flights. The two earlier flights are higher because they’re in more demand. Prices will change many times between now and June. Just keep watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you cruising out of Port Everglades or Port of Miami?

If Port of Miami no way would I book any earlier than 1PM.

If Port Everglades you have plenty of time for the 10:50AM flight.

1PM, Really? Last time we were at PM we were home in west Broward by 7:30AM. There is no traffic that early and the airport is only an extra 20 minutes.

1PM, Really? Last time we were at PM we were home in west Broward by 7:30AM. There is no traffic that early and the airport is only an extra 20 minutes.
I think it depends on where you live in Broward.

It takes us a good hour to get downtown Miami from Las Olas. Weston would be a quicker trip.

I think it depends on where you live in Broward.

It takes us a good hour to get downtown Miami from Las Olas. Weston would be a quicker trip.

Are you walking? PortMiami is a straight shot on the highway which connects to the tunnel, and downtown FLL is just off I95. On a weekend morning with no traffic, I don't know how you could possibly take an hour to get to Las Olas. It's a 35 - 40 min drive. Getting to the airport is even faster - maybe 35 minutes from PM. I take I95 to 595 and west to Weston and it's about a 45 minute drive. Las Olas is much closer.

Even the drive on a weekday morning to my Dr in Coral Gables (well past the port) is about 45 - 50 minutes.

The FLL airport is only about 20 minutes extra drive compared to MIA from PM. It's just a quick drive, which is why I find the 1PM suggestion a bit odd.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Harmony on Saturday - we had a 10:45am return flight home. It was changed a few weeks before our trip to be a 10:35am instead - we were off the ship and sitting in the airport by 8:30am. I would still suggest to pick the 10:50 flight over the 9:45 just in case, but if you walk off the ship at 7am like we did, there would need to be a major problem for you to not make the flight.

when you walk off the ship by 7, do you take all your luggage with you, or do you pick it up after in the same area? Trying to figure out if we can make a noon flight at MIA thanks

If you walk off around 7am you will do self assist and take your luggage with you. Very simple. You can make a 12 noon flight very easily. Easily. Jus the head down around 6:45AM with your luggage and walk off. No special requirements or anything of the sort. Easy as can be. Walk outside, cab to MIA. You will end up waiting at the gate a few hours I bet.

Right now that flight is 2.5X the price of the 7:00pm, but I'm hoping it drops so I can switch!

There is a reason the early flights are less. Part of the issue is how many ships are in port and Customs. I have gotten through FLL airport in 5 minutes and have been held up 45 minutes in luggage and another 20 minutes in PreCheck. I have gotten through Customs in as little as 20 minutes and as much as an hour.