AA Meetings/ Friends of Bill W/ Carnival Valor/ Jan 18,2018

momoftwinboys09

Hello all! I have sailed several times in the past and have always noticed the information for the AA meetings in the Fun Times each day yet I was not a part of AA at the time so I never checked it out. I am sailing on the Carnival Valor on Jan. 18, 2018 and I am trying to see before going if there is anyone else on this sailing who is also in AA. I have read many posts on here that sometimes there are 0 people who show up to the meetings that are available on board and I hope to find at least one more person who is also looking for a meeting on this sailing.

Thanks!

Hello all! I have sailed several times in the past and have always noticed the information for the AA meetings in the Fun Times each day yet I was not a part of AA at the time so I never checked it out. I am sailing on the Carnival Valor on Jan. 18, 2018 and I am trying to see before going if there is anyone else on this sailing who is also in AA. I have read many posts on here that sometimes there are 0 people who show up to the meetings that are available on board and I hope to find at least one more person who is also looking for a meeting on this sailing.

Thanks!

It only takes 2 to have a meeting!

Helaine

• Like 1

From what I’ve read the AA meetings also attract those from other similar structured groups. So the group might not be all AA but it will be supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look within your roll call first before you board. Once on the ship, look in the fun times for place & time of "Friends of Bill" meetings. Can be the same or different time and place each day. Valor used to be 5PM every day in the Library on the 4th deck off the photos display. Might be helpful to bring a copy of the Fun Times to show that there is a private function going on so that those already reading or playing games won't get upset.

Since that library setting is almost like a fish bowl, bringing a sign saying "Private Function" to tape to the door might deter normal cruisers from popping in....or getting a sign from Guest Services is even better.

Sometimes there are just a few showing up, sometimes the room has 20 "friends". As already stated, OA, NA, GA, SA, etc. are usually welcome. There may be a 3pm "Friends of Jimmy (NA) mtg as well.

Good luck, have a great cruise, and bring some reading material as a backup. (BTW, Twins do grow up, mine are 42 now)

• Like 1

I was in the library on Valor a couple of weeks ago just to browse the book and noticed they had an official "Private Function" sign on a stand just inside the door. It wasn't in use at the time but the sign could easily be moved in front of the door if needed.

• Like 1

I was in the library on Valor a couple of weeks ago just to browse the book and noticed they had an official "Private Function" sign on a stand just inside the door. It wasn't in use at the time but the sign could easily be moved in front of the door if needed.

Yes, the "Private Function" sign is used routinely for events in the Library. The Behind the Fun tours usually start from the ship's library and every time, they've used the Private Function sign.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't deployed for the FoBW/AA meetings...unless they didn't want to use it, to encourage people to come in.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info! I am looking forward to my 1st cruise ever without any alcohol. My 19 year old daughter said she thought I would be sad or dreading it. NOPE it's going to be the best cruise ever! Not only will I be saving money I will also be able to explore and experience the vacation like I have not in the past. Missing shows, sales, events, good food, etc due to spending my time with too many cocktails!

Thank you all! I'm soooooo excited to sail the countdown is officially on!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the info! I am looking forward to my 1st cruise ever without any alcohol. My 19 year old daughter said she thought I would be sad or dreading it. NOPE it's going to be the best cruise ever! Not only will I be saving money I will also be able to explore and experience the vacation like I have not in the past. Missing shows, sales, events, good food, etc due to spending my time with too many cocktails!

Thank you for having the cajones to put yourself out there like this, for recognizing a problem and for working on correcting the problem. Props to your daughter for her support too.

Congratulations on your great attitude.

My DW has been a Friend of Bill for almost 12 years. She wears a charm bracelet with the AA Triangle on it and usually meets several "friends" before even getting on the ship and they typically exchange room numbers just in case they need a friend during the cruise. She typically will attend at least the 1st meeting of a cruise and then will go unless something else gets scheduled at the meeting time.

One thing I would caution you about is desserts. We have not yet been on Carnival (less than a month...yeah!) but on the other lines we have sailed - HAL and Celebrity there were quite a few boozy cakes and desserts, and it was not mentioned in the description. On a family cruise my wife celebrated her birthday and our DDs arranged for a cake at dinner that night for our table. The bottom layer of the cake was SOAKED with rum. Luckily our son detected the aroma and we tasted it before DW had a chance to. So be careful!

Have a great cruise!!!

• Like 1

Awwww thanks for all of the motivating responses! Yes I know this is going to be an amazing cruise. Hard to believe it's only 10 days away! Just a girls getaway with my BFF from middle school and we're going to have an amazing and relaxing time! Thank you again for your kind words!

• 2 weeks later...

If don't know if you will check in here while you are on your cruise, but I hope that you are having a fun and sober cruise. As someone mentioned above, a meeting with only two people is still a meeting. Go to the library each day, whether anyone shows or not.

Congratulations on your great attitude.

One thing I would caution you about is desserts. We have not yet been on Carnival (less than a month...yeah!) but on the other lines we have sailed - HAL and Celebrity there were quite a few boozy cakes and desserts, and it was not mentioned in the description. On a family cruise my wife celebrated her birthday and our DDs arranged for a cake at dinner that night for our table. The bottom layer of the cake was SOAKED with rum. Luckily our son detected the aroma and we tasted it before DW had a chance to. So be careful!

Have a great cruise!!!

Can ask the hostess or waiter about any alcohol in the food. There is an allergy menu that has the ingredients.

If don't know if you will check in here while you are on your cruise, but I hope that you are having a fun and sober cruise. As someone mentioned above, a meeting with only two people is still a meeting. Go to the library each day, whether anyone shows or not.

And if nobody is there, it doesn't hurt to check with Guest Services. Sometimes the meeting gets moved to another location on the ship and it isn't published for whatever reason.

• Like 1

We have many Friends of Bill in our family and sober cruising is great! One more thing to watch out for is ordering Virgin Drinks, we have been inadvertently served drinks that were not Virgin! It was an honest mistake by the server/bartender. We now only order Soda in a can ,or bottled water which we open and serve ourselves. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1