Fakarava "Beach Escape"

avalong

I am considering this excursion and was wondering if anyone could tell me his or her experience. Was the snorkeling decent? Was the beach pretty? (hard to imagine anything on Fakarava not being pretty, but still...) Windstar's website mentions that there is "limited shade." Did this turn out to be a problem? Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't do this excursion, we went on a snorkeling tour. However we wandered around Fakarava before the tour and it is very flat with some trees but not like other islands. It is basically a coral reef. The water is gorgeous and the people and warm and friendly.

Thanks, Dipsylee.

I've booked the excursion, but am still hoping someone out there can tell me a little more about this particular beach. Our first (& only other) time on Fakarava we went to the Blue Lagoon. I think everyone should do this once as it was a great excursion, but we're looking for something a little more low-key this time around.

• 6 months later...
Thanks, Dipsylee.

I've booked the excursion, but am still hoping someone out there can tell me a little more about this particular beach. Our first (& only other) time on Fakarava we went to the Blue Lagoon. I think everyone should do this once as it was a great excursion, but we're looking for something a little more low-key this time around.

Did you end up doing the beach escape ?

How was it? Where did you go?

We will be there in November and I am trying to get things figured out.

Yes we did. It was very low key. You are dropped off on a pretty little beach with OK snorkeling if you go a bit far out and to the left. In August there was PLENTY of shade, so I'm not sure why Windstar describes the shade as "scarce" (or some such). I guess it's possible that at different times of the year the shade is less accessible. But there are plenty of trees. The excursion didn't have a huge wow factor, but it was a pleasant enough interlude.