The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

My DH and I have made the same decision. We’d like to try each MDR at least twice, as well as the other venues that intrigue us. Even though we’ll have 15 days, it may be a challenge lol;p.

I know the feeling! [emoji4] and don’t forget there might be a chance to experience the Edge, the MC and Le Petit Chef [emoji67]*[emoji505]! So many choices, so little time!

Think we might try Raw on 5 and Rooftop Grill for lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcat, I understand what you’re saying about Eden. We think the concept may be amusing and entertaining, but then again, it may fall flat. Also, we both find the sample menu a bit precious, but we’ve admittedly had some stellar experiences in restaurants having similar menus. Because one of our party of six friends is quite keen to try Eden, we’ll give it a go.

Personally, having watched the Eden videos posted by Celebrity, my greatest concern is the lighting. It’s unclear how much show lighting will be used during dinner, and some show lighting (strobes, flashing lights in my eyes for long periods) can be a migraine trigger for me. I’d hate to pay even a discounted dining price for a migraine. I intend to post a review of our experience on Edge (including our impression of our stateroom, dining and other venues) and I hope others do the same.

Think you meant menu choice at Cyprus? [emoji23] well, MDR meals are the same across all four so I guess there is always something for everyone across all restaurants. My DH and I have decided we will try as many as we can across both complimentary and cover charge restaurants

No, I meant the venue choices. These would be the 3 appetizers and 3 entrees that are specific to each of the 4 MDR's. We don't like Greek/Mediterranean food, so the Cyrus choices were not appealing and the Cosmopolitan choices were average. The Normandie choices were our favorite followed by Tuscan. Of course, depending upon which night we go, there could be something else we would like better, but after getting over a years worth of feedback and of course menus posted on cruise critic, we should have no problem deciding on what to eat.

I know the feeling! [emoji4] and don’t forget there might be a chance to experience the Edge, the MC and Le Petit Chef [emoji67]*[emoji505]! So many choices, so little time!

Think we might try Raw on 5 and Rooftop Grill for lunch

We’re planning to use our specialty dining package in Rooftop Grill, Fine Cut Steakhouse, and Eden. We’ll definitely check out Raw on 5 and the Bistro for lunch. We’d like to try the Edge and MC too, especially on sea days, but I’m sure everyone else has the same idea:'). And let’s not neglect the lounges, though I’ll confess that a few of the chairs shown in the promos make me wonder if they’re trying to dissuade people from staying long! Or maybe they’ll have a ship’s chiropractor to provide adjustments to those of us foolish enough to relax in them lol. Oh yeah, this could be a money maker;).

The first night time choice for specialty dining is a total waste if you can't pick the venue as well. Celebrity will arbitrarily choose one for us, and unless it's the Fine Cut steakhouse, I'll be changing it as soon as we board. I realize this can be avoided by paying 55 per person, but I will pay 250 with the 4 night package instead of 440 a la carte.

The first night time choice for specialty dining is a total waste if you can't pick the venue as well. Celebrity will arbitrarily choose one for us, and unless it's the Fine Cut steakhouse, I'll be changing it as soon as we board. I realize this can be avoided by paying 55 per person, but I will pay 250 with the 4 night package instead of 440 a la carte.

I’ve never had a problem getting the restaurants I wanted using a dining package, though I’ve had to sometimes be flexible about day or time.

Thanks for posting the menu links...easy to read the menus.

After going over the menus again, we are satisfied with our choice of AQ with BLU, plus the Steakhouse and Outdoor Grill. Simple, pre- booked and only 2 of us...not complicated, we hope.

It is tough organizing for group dining, further complicated by the dining package rules. Hope it all works out.

Some may love it but Eden did not appeal in any way to us. Wonder if it will evolve over time,,,

I don't know if we will like Eden either. The menu doesn't have many choices and it's difficult to tell whether what they do have will be to our taste or not (though Luminae has similar menu descriptions and we enjoy their food), but I have to say that I just couldn't resist experiencing this at least once. Who could resist when it described as:

"Enter a place where dining is taken to new and exciting places. Eden restaurant features a lively, open air kitchen and menus that deliver sensory and experiential dishes served by performance artists we call Edenists. Here, you’ll let your inhibitions go and set your senses free with innovatively mouthwatering specialties inspired by nature."

We have some "free money" from Celebrity (OBC) so used that to book this interesting experience. I don't think having performance artists performing near us while we eat will be our cup of tea, but maybe with a couple of glasses of wine to help let my inhibitions go, it will be a wonderful experience! ;)

Everyone has their own tastes...

I remember that Celeb has tried performance artists sev times.

One effort was upstairs on Summit in the wierd lounge they created with hanging rags/ curtains and white sheeted loungers/ beds, I almost cried when I saw what they did to that great space.The wierdly costumed characters ..cirque type.....randomly interacted with and touched folks.. It was very creepy By our next cruise on Summit, it had all been deconstructed,...and back to normal with great panaromic views by day...

They tried the same concept later on as a pay for event in another space...I think on S class??? another failure...even when eventually offered for free.

Guess we' ll hear back how folks like the Edenists which seems like a similar concept ???? Can't fault X for trying new things but some not appealing for all. Revenue. will decide

That does sound a bit creepy. I never encountered those venues, thankfully. The Edenists may be similar, but I hope not. I enjoy dance and music, so we’ll see. There will be several cruises before ours, so hopefully we’ll learn more before we board.

I hope that making reservations for restaurants on Edge becomes easier, as information from past cruisers becomes available, especially for those in the four MDR's. I also have booked Eden, but am waiting for the reviews, along with my cohorts in crime. I had to really plead with my DH to do it for the rest of us, because he just did not like the concept. I am still hoping for a great cruise, but with tempered excitement.

Everyone has their own tastes...

I remember that Celeb has tried performance artists sev times.

One effort was upstairs on Summit in the wierd lounge they created with hanging rags/ curtains and white sheeted loungers/ beds, I almost cried when I saw what they did to that great space.The wierdly costumed characters ..cirque type.....randomly interacted with and touched folks.. It was very creepy By our next cruise on Summit, it had all been deconstructed,...and back to normal with great panaromic views by day...

They tried the same concept later on as a pay for event in another space...I think on S class??? another failure...even when eventually offered for free.

Guess we' ll hear back how folks like the Edenists which seems like a similar concept ???? Can't fault X for trying new things but some not appealing for all. Revenue. will decide

I did one of those on the Reflection in 2015 called Indulgence. This was the ad in the daily:

"Indulgence: seductive, quirky pop-up performances with indulgent desserts and tantalizing beverages in Ensemble Lounge - $20 each." It was for adults only.

I wouldn't have done it except that we were in a suite and the MC concierge gave us passes to go. It was bizarre with red velvet curtains hung at either end of the Ensemble Lounge and cabaret-type pop up performances. There were fancy desserts and drinks being served. The actors stayed in character and went around talking to us - some of the women were in rather skimpy costumes. My DH actually enjoyed it and I enjoyed it as an adventure. Anyway, we've gotten a lot of mileage talking to fellow cruisers about it and I have some great pictures.

The Edenists look a little more tasteful - I think it will probably be a fun night and the food will be good. At the very least we will have something interesting to talk about on Cruise Critic. I agree that this may go the way of Indulgence and Celebrity's other attempts at a "quirky, sinful" experience, if not done well.

Thank you all for the info, especially the detailed dining info listed!

So, I was on Quantum OTS a couple years ago and they also have 4 MDR's...we stressed and stressed about getting all our reservations for the two week cruise in advance (plus they require certain 'windows of time' for entertainment too) and when we go onboard, after the first nite, we just walked into any restaurant we wanted, with 6-8 people and never had a challenge with seating.

Also, and not sure if this is just RCCL and not Celebrity, but do they actually allow us to take up all the reservations online in advance? That would seem unfair to all those who don't do online scheduling and will arrive onboard with no reservations for their regular dining?

I have a group of 24 so hoping to get some organization for at least one nite in a specialty...fingers crossed!!!

Thank you all for the info, especially the detailed dining info listed!

So, I was on Quantum OTS a couple years ago and they also have 4 MDR's...we stressed and stressed about getting all our reservations for the two week cruise in advance (plus they require certain 'windows of time' for entertainment too) and when we go onboard, after the first nite, we just walked into any restaurant we wanted, with 6-8 people and never had a challenge with seating.

Also, and not sure if this is just RCCL and not Celebrity, but do they actually allow us to take up all the reservations online in advance? That would seem unfair to all those who don't do online scheduling and will arrive onboard with no reservations for their regular dining?

I have a group of 24 so hoping to get some organization for at least one nite in a specialty...fingers crossed!!!

Wow, that's a big group! Did you see the previous discussion about Ivana at Celebrity? Apparently she deals with Edge dining, so maybe she could help with your large group? It wouldn't hurt to ask her how to best organize your group's dining. Here email is: Ivrhovec@rccl.com

No, they won't sell all of the reservations online pre-cruise, if they continue their present practice. It seems like they have a certain percentage of reservations on sale online of each time slot in each restaurant because we have gotten the time we wanted after boarding (and they were sold out for that time online).

Good luck!

I haven't read through the entire thread but I have some frustrations with the new set up. I love the idea of having choices, but the Edge really forces folks towards Celebrity Select over Traditional dining. I have done both, and after great number of cruises have decided that my preference is fixed dining at 8:30. I want the consistency of a waiter that gets to know me and we get to know him or her through the entire cruise. I also am emphatic that no one should ever wait in a line to be seated during a cruise. That is just my personal feeling about how the dining experience should work on a cruise ship.

In addition I have some clients who have mobility disabilities that make it difficult for them to stand for extended periods of time. You can see how having an assigned table every night where they can simply walk in and sit down is a great advantage to folks with mobility issues.

So I called yesterday to get the two couples with mobility issues assigned to the Tuscan dining room for their 7 night Rome to BCN in 2019. I was told that folks who have traditional dining cannot pick their venue. They will be assigned their venue. Select folks get to pick their venues but not Traditional. After the first night then they can request a change to their venue. Doesn't that seem a bit "Bass Ackward". Wouldn't it make sense to actually have them pre-select their dining room so that they are happy from the start??? I don't get it.

My husband I and I are doing a 2 day pre-inaugural, so really the venue assignment on a 2 night cruise to nowhere is irrelevant, but for future sailings this is just so inconvenient. My husband hates greek food and loves Italian and the other two venues didn't really catch his fancy, so when the ship dining venues were revealed, his thought was "OK, 8:30 in the Tuscan Dining Room for the entire cruise". Apparently this will not be possible to set up ahead of time.

I haven't read through the entire thread but I have some frustrations with the new set up. I love the idea of having choices, but the Edge really forces folks towards Celebrity Select over Traditional dining. I have done both, and after great number of cruises have decided that my preference is fixed dining at 8:30. I want the consistency of a waiter that gets to know me and we get to know him or her through the entire cruise. I also am emphatic that no one should ever wait in a line to be seated during a cruise. That is just my personal feeling about how the dining experience should work on a cruise ship.

In addition I have some clients who have mobility disabilities that make it difficult for them to stand for extended periods of time. You can see how having an assigned table every night where they can simply walk in and sit down is a great advantage to folks with mobility issues.

So I called yesterday to get the two couples with mobility issues assigned to the Tuscan dining room for their 7 night Rome to BCN in 2019. I was told that folks who have traditional dining cannot pick their venue. They will be assigned their venue. Select folks get to pick their venues but not Traditional. After the first night then they can request a change to their venue. Doesn't that seem a bit "Bass Ackward". Wouldn't it make sense to actually have them pre-select their dining room so that they are happy from the start??? I don't get it.

My husband I and I are doing a 2 day pre-inaugural, so really the venue assignment on a 2 night cruise to nowhere is irrelevant, but for future sailings this is just so inconvenient. My husband hates greek food and loves Italian and the other two venues didn't really catch his fancy, so when the ship dining venues were revealed, his thought was "OK, 8:30 in the Tuscan Dining Room for the entire cruise". Apparently this will not be possible to set up ahead of time.

I found this on the FAQs sheet. It may be worth a try.

14. What if I am Traditional, but want to choose my specific dining room pre-­‐cruise.

Guests will be requested to send an e-­‐mail to CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and we will forward on to the ship, doing our best to accommodate their requests, based on availability.

Thanks, that is different than the information given to me via phone yesterday. I have submitted the request to the dining department. I will post here when I hear back from them.

I hope it works out. My guess is that you won't know for sure until boarding, but maybe since they have mobility issues, they will confirm it sooner.

Wow, that's a big group! Did you see the previous discussion about Ivana at Celebrity? Apparently she deals with Edge dining, so maybe she could help with your large group? It wouldn't hurt to ask her how to best organize your group's dining. Here email is: Ivrhovec@rccl.com

No, they won't sell all of the reservations online pre-cruise, if they continue their present practice. It seems like they have a certain percentage of reservations on sale online of each time slot in each restaurant because we have gotten the time we wanted after boarding (and they were sold out for that time online).

Good luck!

Thank you for all the information!

I will be doing the Preview cruise on Dec 6th so hopefully will have a little better idea...you're doing Nov 21 so we'll be looking for your update!

Actually, I DID email Ivana last nite and she replied this morning although all she said was I could pre-book the specialty...wasn't what I had actually asked so I wrote her back...she did not offer to assist with my group as I'm trying to figure out how to book 12-14 for specialty with everyone having to pay in advance! ;)

I am thinking, like you, that dining will loosen up on the longer cruises as they did on Quantum. I do like them having all the choices, one nice thing is that the smaller dining rooms are more intimate.

However, although we have done anytime dining for many years, we always find a table and waitstaff we like then do the entire cruise with them...in this case that won't be possible and with 3 tables of 8 that means we'll be meeting new waitstaff each nite...may not be ideal but...oh, well!!!

Wow! J18ktleo, that’s some group. I’m having flashbacks to a little family reunion in NYC, for which all of us traveled to the city. It was tough getting tables together for only nine people! This was, of course, complicated by the fact that those who traveled from California and Yorkshire were jet lagged. Two wanted to dine by 6:00:eek:. Two never felt hungry until they were one minute from meltdown, and the rest of us were flexible. Because DH and I were the only ones reasonably familiar with the city, we were nominated to be planners and tour guides lol. OMG that gave me new appreciation for TAs who travel with their flock;p.

BTW I’ve never heard of anyone booking specialty restaurants without paying in advance. I’ve always had to buy a package or pay to book the restaurants individually. I believe Celebrity has a number for group cruise bookings. I wonder if they could help you with this.

Edited by Silkroad

Cruise Arizona, fingers crossed!

Silkroad, this has been an interesting progression. It's actually an annual girls cruise that started out 3 years ago. The last 2 years there was 12 to 14 of us on Windstar and it was incredible! This year, because it's the Edge and everybody that has never cruised before is intrested because of the size of the ship, it just kept growing.

This planning is a challenge and I think that from here on I will restrict it to 12 which is an easier number to manage😎

Cruise Arizona, fingers crossed!

Silkroad, this has been an interesting progression. It's actually an annual girls cruise that started out 3 years ago. The last 2 years there was 12 to 14 of us on Windstar and it was incredible! This year, because it's the Edge and everybody that has never cruised before is intrested because of the size of the ship, it just kept growing.

This planning is a challenge and I think that from here on I will restrict it to 12 which is an easier number to manage

Sounds like a lot of fun! I hope your dining issues are easily sorted. They will definitely owe you a few frosty drinks lol:D

I found this video of Le Petit Chef that I hadn't seen. It looks like an interesting experience to do once, but not sure it is worth the extra $30. We will try to get a coveted seat at the table though - I want to experience every Edgy thing that I can.

https://search.aol.com/aol/video;_ylt=AwrE1x.rdblaIosARQFpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?q=celebrity+edge+video+le+petit+chef&s_it=searchtabs&v_t=comsearch-txtlnkusaolp00000051#id=3&vid=fb32ac104ff972e838d3cdf02210b9dd&action=view

I found this video of Le Petit Chef that I hadn't seen. It looks like an interesting experience to do once, but not sure it is worth the extra $30. We will try to get a coveted seat at the table though - I want to experience every Edgy thing that I can.

thank you - fascinating! :)

any idea on what day would this experience will be offered? for some reason I though Wednesday was mentioned somewhere but can't find any referencing now - I am blond after all, so need to check! :)