Hilo VNP Tour - POA Cruise

Beagleluv6107

We are very active and looking for a tour. We will be stopping at Hilo as part of our POA Cruise. We don't want to rent a car and do this on our own. I tried Lavaland but they don't have enough people. I reached out to my roll call but no takers. I saw a few other tours but it looks like they drag you around to shopping and tourists traps. I want to be outside hiking/walking around. Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We rent a car in Hilo but have read many good things about Marylou’s Big Island Guided Tours in Hilo & Kona.

Here’s their listing for cruise ship tours which you could research to determine if that may be an option for you. Based on posts I’ve read here, they are very popular & sellout their tours so if interested would suggest to book as soon as you’re ready make a reservation.

http://www.marylousbigislandguidedtours.com/hilo-cruise-ship-tours.html

Can you reconsider renting a car? Hilo is one of the easiest cruise ports to rent a car - a couple of different agencies pick you up right at the pier, costs are very low (often under $50/day through Costco or DiscountHawaii), traffic isn't bad, and roads are good and well marked, tourist traps and shopping are your call! It's almost impossible to get lost on a relatively small island.

Your ship will offer a tour, but they are usually overpriced and don't offer any flexibility.

We booked a tour with Island Wide Family Tours, which is run by Mary Lou's son, Kyle. All of their tours are private and they will customize whatever you would like to do. They have been great to work with and we booked with them for both Kona and Hilo. They are definitely worth checking out!!

We used MaryLou tours in Kona and Hilo 2 weeks ago. Highly recommend them.

We just used MaryLou's tour last week in Kona. Her husband Ken gave us a terrific tour! In Hilo we decided to rent a car because we wanted to spend as much time as possible in Volcano Nat'l. Park and felt we didn't need to book a tour to do so. The ride was basically a direct route from the port to the park and was very easy to drive on our own. Although driving to see the more spread out sights in Kona port would have been trickier and we were happy to let Ken do the driving, in Hilo we were very glad we decided to drive ourselves.

We also tried to book a LavaLand tour, but same story, not enough to run the tour. I contacted Mary Lou tours and booked with them-sounds like a great tour, small group, and good price. When are you sailing?

We will be there 4/10. Right after I posted this, I received an email that LavaLand now has enough people. I booked. I’ll let you know how we make out.

Thanks to all for the great alternative suggestions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums