Local currency vs US $

MonSaba

Hi. We are aware that vendors at some destinations, particularly islands using ec$ will take US$. Does anyone know if US$ can be used in port towns in Barbados, Martinique, or Guadeloupe?

Thanks.

Michael

Hi. We are aware that vendors at some destinations, particularly islands using ec$ will take US$. Does anyone know if US$ can be used in port towns in Barbados, Martinique, or Guadeloupe?

Thanks.

Michael

Vendors on all Caribbean islands will take US $ with a :D

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Fort-du-France in Martinique in January. They take only euros. Very displeased with port. Needed euros to pee. Seriously. No toilet paper and cashier handed out the toilet paper and wouldn’t take US. The perfume shop clerk and guard just stared at me when I tried to enter. Eventually I found a button to push on the wall. (All instructions were in French.) At the restaurant/pizzeria, we ordered beers and said we would like to order pizza. Brought beers and menus but never came back for our pizza order. Guess that is more info than you wanted, but just my way of saying don’t expect anyone to take US$ there.

• 1 month later...
We were in Fort-du-France in Martinique in January. They take only euros. Very displeased with port. Needed euros to pee. Seriously. No toilet paper and cashier handed out the toilet paper and wouldn’t take US. The perfume shop clerk and guard just stared at me when I tried to enter. Eventually I found a button to push on the wall. (All instructions were in French.) At the restaurant/pizzeria, we ordered beers and said we would like to order pizza. Brought beers and menus but never came back for our pizza order. Guess that is more info than you wanted, but just my way of saying don’t expect anyone to take US$ there.

We exchanged dollars for Euro's and then found that restaurants and bars in FdF mostly took both.

-F-