Rome airport

marylovestotravel

We haven't left for our cruise and I'm planning for our departure home! Our flight departs Rome Fiumicino Airport at 11Am. Anyone have any idea at what time we should expect to leave the ship with a Viking transfer? Anyone with previous experience? I am interested in finding out approximately how much time we should expect to be in the airport before our flight.

Thanks,

Mia

We haven't left for our cruise and I'm planning for our departure home! Our flight departs Rome Fiumicino Airport at 11Am. Anyone have any idea at what time we should expect to leave the ship with a Viking transfer? Anyone with previous experience? I am interested in finding out approximately how much time we should expect to be in the airport before our flight.

Thanks,

Mia

Mia, the time you arrive at the Rome airport depends on whether it's a nonstop flight to US from Rome or you connect to another European city for your US flight home. If you are transferring at another European city for your US connecting flight, all you need is no more than 2 hours before departure but if you are flying home direct from the Rome airport, you must allow a minimum 3 hours before departure and now because of increased security for all incoming US bound flights effective Nov 1, many airlines are telling passengers to allow 4 hours before departure because increased security means one or more searches and interviews.

Travel time from the Civitavecchia (Rome) port to airport is about 50 minutes assuming no traffic which is unlikely unless you are traveling in the middle of the night or very early in the morning. Your Viking airport transfer bus should be aware of the traffic condition and coordinate your ship's departure time. We just came back from Rome 4 days ago.

I was on a viking cruise that came into Rome last week and had a transfer at 5:!5 a.m. to the airport for a 9:55 a.m. flight

Liscruiser, this is great information...thank you (even though I didn't ask :D). Everyone else in our group is doing a Viking transfer to the airport, but their flight leaves around noon...hubby and I didn't think that a Viking transfer was an option at that hour of the morning. I have a few questions if you don't mind...Did you use Viking Air? What airline was used? Do you recall what time you got to the airport? Thanks again.

Liscruiser, this is great information...thank you (even though I didn't ask :D). Everyone else in our group is doing a Viking transfer to the airport, but their flight leaves around noon...hubby and I didn't think that a Viking transfer was an option at that hour of the morning. I have a few questions if you don't mind...Did you use Viking Air? What airline was used? Do you recall what time you got to the airport? Thanks again.

I've been on Viking cruises where the transfer to the airport was even earlier than 5:15 am. If you booked your air through Viking, they will get you to the airport, no matter how early in the morning your flight is.

Last Wednesday we disembarked Viking Star at Civitavecchia. Had a 7:00 flight on Lufthansa out of Fiumcino to Frankfurt, enroute to San Francisco. Viking wanted us out in the atrium and ready for the transfer at 3:15 a.m. Hope this helps.

Thank you, this helps me tremendously. How was your experience on Lufthansa?

I've been on Viking cruises where the transfer to the airport was even earlier than 5:15 am. If you booked your air through Viking, they will get you to the airport, no matter how early in the morning your flight is.

Unfortunately Viking Air was not a viable option for us as we don't live in the US; we would have had to arrange our own flights to the US and then used Viking Air from there which makes the trip a substantially longer and more expensive one with two separate tickets. We are planning on using the Viking transfers to and from the ship, primarily because its easy and I would assume reliable.

Lufthansa was great -- we've flown it several times before and it is our favorite. We have flown Lufthansa first class, premium economy, and coach and have been happy each time. This time we were in Premium Economy and it was worth it. Complimentary drinks, choice of wines and entrees, etc. along with ample legroom.

I don't want to sound unpatriotic but I've flown a number of foreign carriers -- Virgin Atlantic, SAS, British Air, KLM, Air New Zealand, etc. and my wife and I feel almost any foreign airline provides better service than a domestic carrier.

Thank you, this helps me tremendously. How was your experience on Lufthansa?

Unfortunately Viking Air was not a viable option for us as we don't live in the US; we would have had to arrange our own flights to the US and then used Viking Air from there which makes the trip a substantially longer and more expensive one with two separate tickets. We are planning on using the Viking transfers to and from the ship, primarily because its easy and I would assume reliable.

Can you book those transfers before you leave or do you have to wait and buy them on board?

Lufthansa was great -- we've flown it several times before and it is our favorite. We have flown Lufthansa first class, premium economy, and coach and have been happy each time. This time we were in Premium Economy and it was worth it. Complimentary drinks, choice of wines and entrees, etc. along with ample legroom.

I don't want to sound unpatriotic but I've flown a number of foreign carriers -- Virgin Atlantic, SAS, British Air, KLM, Air New Zealand, etc. and my wife and I feel almost any foreign airline provides better service than a domestic carrier.

We are giving them a try for the first time, and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again for your help.