Pre-Cruise Roll Call Suggestions for Buenos Aires

TMLAalum

Meeting roll call participants for dinner &/or drinks the night before embarking on a cruise has been something we've enjoyed in places from Hong Kong to Southampton.

Does anyone have suggestions for a great venue in Buenos Aires for such a get together?

Thanks!

A lot depends on where you are staying and what type restaurant interests you. My preferences run toward finding an informal restaurant featuring local cuisine. Here are a couple of parrillas in BA where I have met groups in the past. I am only mentioning those in the downtown and Recoleta areas since these are central locations.

El Establo in downtown for a more informal location and Happening in nearby Puerto Madero for a more upscale option.

Parrilla Pena or Rodi Bar in Recoleta are good choices, or El Mirasol de la Recova for a more upscale choice.

Two other options: Gourmet Porteno is a very nice all you can eat Tenedor libre” restaurant and Osaka is an excellent Japanese-Peruvian restaurant. Both have locations in Puerto Madero.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Lots of restaurants in the Palermo Neighborhood we will be going to logo-2.png and Caldén del Soho

Thanks! Went to their website and the food fotos made my mouth water! But the opening hour of 8pm is a bit late for someone like me who goes for the early bird specials:o:o.

Thanks! Went to their website and the food fotos made my mouth water! But the opening hour of 8pm is a bit late for someone like me who goes for the early bird specials:o:o.

Argentinos eat late. A lot of restaurants don’t open for dinner until 8 and the dinner rush isn’t until 9 or later. You will still have options if you want to eat earlier, just not as many.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dr D is correct about dining hours and his recommendations are valid. I would endorse especially Mirasol de la Recova of the ones he mentioned. However, if you and your gang don't mind waiting in line to gain entry to the early bird special at La Cabrera, you should also consider it. La Cabrera is a famous place, a quintessential Arg parrilla albeit probably patronized by more tourists now than locals, but still good and fun. Even waiting in line can be entertaining - at least it was the last time I went there about a year ago. Doors open at 7:30 and there is a significant early bird discount (20% or more) for those entering when doors first open so a line to enter forms shortly before that time.

If that doesn't suit your taste, I would recommend my favorite place - Marcelo in the Hotel Intersur on Av Callao near Av Quintana in the Recoleta (not the one in Puerto Madero). It is a great place for a get together with a menu emphasizing Italian and Arg specialties. Comfortable ambience, good service, swank, but with large plates to share, great food and value. If I were organizing a pre cruise get together it would be my choice.

Check out www.guiaoleo.com.ar for restaurant reviews and contact info. Best to make reservations wherever you go.

CORRECTION

I just called La Cabrera. The doors open at 6:30, not 7:30. The discount is 40%, but all diners must pay and leave the table by 8 pm to qualify for the discount. Not sure I would choose this place for a social get together given the time restraint.