Casa De Campo. (La Romana) Have you been there?

caddykid12

Taking a Southern Itinerary that include La Romana (I know..how lucky am I!?) Not....

Anyway. Trying to salvage the day and go to Casa De Campo.

Ive read so many different things.. do they have day passes to purchase? Or do you have to book an excursion thru carnival to gain access as the only way or u will be denied?

One website said that if u dock with a cruise line u gain free entry to the resort but shopping and dining is still a charge.

I know its 5 min away but my list of excursions does not have anythinh for casa de campo and would like to know what are my options

Id like to see the shops and the mid evil structures

Edited by caddykid12

I assume you want to go to Altos de Chavon? We just did this... when you get off the ship, head to the main gates and look for yellow signs that say "shuttle bus" and you can buy a roundtrip ticket for $8 per person to Altos de Chavon. There's not a ton to do there, but interesting enough to kill an hour or two. When we got back to the port, we did the "chu chu train" tour, which was only $16.99 a person and was about a 45-minute ride around La Romana. Combine those two and you've got a nice cheap day at port.

Taking a Southern Itinerary that include La Romana (I know..how lucky am I!?) Not....

Anyway. Trying to salvage the day and go to Casa De Campo.

Ive read so many different things.. do they have day passes to purchase? Or do you have to book an excursion thru carnival to gain access as the only way or u will be denied?

One website said that if u dock with a cruise line u gain free entry to the resort but shopping and dining is still a charge.

I know its 5 min away but my list of excursions does not have anythinh for casa de campo and would like to know what are my options

Id like to see the shops and the mid evil structures

Casa De Campo is a beautiful gated area with gorgeous homes and Marina. We meant to enjoy an evening there while staying in Bayahibe but never made it. For a cruise stop I'd recommend one of the more interesting excursions I mentioned in the thread "Everything you wanted to know...". That title is misleading since it was just about going to the miniature village. We thought this was a wasted port until we did some research, this was the highlight of our cruise!

La Romana requires that you do a little more research than some of the more developed ports. Otherwise you're stuck with the limited options offered through the ship, or walking around town. If you consider the Saona Island excursion do NOT book through the ship as the Seavis excursion is so much better.

Enjoy your day!

Edited by blue_water

I didn't do it myself but others enjoyed the Catalina

Island Beach day. It's not far off the coast and as an island safe and uncrowded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes Catalina is a good day, you typically anchor off the east coast for snorkeling the Aquarium, then off the nicer beach where th Wall is. That beach can be very crowded because people from CDC go there but a nice beach with amenities

• 1 year later...
I assume you want to go to Altos de Chavon? We just did this... when you get off the ship, head to the main gates and look for yellow signs that say "shuttle bus" and you can buy a roundtrip ticket for $8 per person to Altos de Chavon. There's not a ton to do there, but interesting enough to kill an hour or two. When we got back to the port, we did the "chu chu train" tour, which was only $16.99 a person and was about a 45-minute ride around La Romana. Combine those two and you've got a nice cheap day at port.

I know this is an old post, but I can't find anything about this chu chu train tour that you mentioned. Is it still there? Sounds like a fun thing to do to see La Romana. Does anyone have any info on this? Where do you go to find it? Does it still run?

I know this is an old post, but I can't find anything about this chu chu train tour that you mentioned. Is it still there? Sounds like a fun thing to do to see La Romana. Does anyone have any info on this? Where do you go to find it? Does it still run?

When we did it, there was no info in advance about it. It was just there. No idea if it's still running or not.

• 3 months later...
Isnt that the amphitheater?

I was told cass de campo has tgat mid evil square of villages. Shopping and restaurants over looking some river.

What exactly is casa de campo? Seems everyone us confusing it with the amphitheater

Hi. I'm from DR and actually own property in Casa de Campo, so ill try to explain. Casa de Campo is a luxury resort and gated community. Inside there is a Marina with great upscale restaurants and a small complex called Altos de Chavon design to look like an Italian villa. It was constructed in the 70s and it is there that you will find the amphitheater.Altos de Chavon also houses a design school and several shops.

The previous suggestion of Altos de Chavon and the train is indeed a nice enough and cheap way to spend the day. You could also do Catalina or Saona island tours, or rent a car and head to Punta Cana or Santo Domingo for the day. They have more activities there.

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy RD.