Where do you buy costume jewelry?

Alright ladies, spill it! Where's the best place to find good and inexpensive costume jewelry? :D:D

Try consignment stores. They usually have some pretty nice stuff. A couple of other suggestions would be garage sales and e-bay.

hsn

qvc

kohls

kmart

walmart

penneys

this cool place in Miami called baya or beya i think its that (Bayside Market Place)

over by the POM...i know there are other stores in FL as i did a research trying to find where i could buy some MORE

target

shopko

avon

dollar stores

sears

on the cruise ships...some of the $10 buys

Edited by STARFISH*4

I wear mostly silver, and stones (like lapis or malachite). I've been getting a lot of earrings from Etsy lately. I've been going through a period of little jewelry the past couple years though. I also like Kohls & Target for fun stuff.

Some online choices of my favorites: natures jewelry (one word)dot com (I love this website)Try Etsy dot com they have unique handmade support the artist jewelry type stuff. palm beach jewelry(one word) dot com I make my jewelry 99% of the time so I only buy hoop earrings at Claires in my local mall.

I thought I'd share these 3 stores hey can't hurt.

Alrana Eris, I mostly make my own too. Not really into gem type jewelry, more stones like hoyaheel. Also polymer clay things. I buy rings and earrings when in Mexico. The cheapy stuff mostly, but sometimes something nice for myself.

Nordstrom's junior section has some trendy stuff that is cheap but well made (I go mostly for the earrings there). Also, Ann Taylor and Bloomingdales for necklaces. I sometimes find stuff at Aldo, but the quality isn't great. Some of the best earrings I've ever found (get TONS of compliments) was 3 years ago from a street vendor I happened apon after work one day - bargained down to $5 for a pair of tourquoise colored shell earrings that I still wear all the time!

I would also second the recommendations made by other posters re: macy's sales (great stuff), target and NY&Co (quality a bit lower) and Kohls (I've found great costume jewellry for work here).

As far as pretending to be real, the real stuff stays at home. I'm on RCCL, not a luxury cruise and I'm wondering around the beach, souvenior shops and on tours. I buy from Macy's, Kohl's..wherever there is a bargain on the chunky jewelry. I see the real stuff on one of our executives and she has jewelry that looks just like my Kohl's clearance pieces.

I don't buy a lot of costume jewelry and I try not to buy trendy pieces, the shelf life is just too short.

I prefer better made stuff like Dabby Reid, Liz Palacios, Alex Bittar, Lois Hill, Nordstroms own brand. I have a few pieces recently purchased from Lia Sophia. The stuff doesn't break, lasts more than a wearing or two and doesn't turn your skin black or green.

I also will shop Macy's for sale pieces, sometimes they have great deals on rings. Nordstrom will have a lot of stuff on sales periodically, like this Friday starts a new sale. It's still pricier than cheaper brands, but I like to keep stuff for years.

I love Macy's, Silpada, Brighton and Dillards.

Always can find something at the major dept stores.

Just bought several pcs yesterday at Macy's. Used my Macy's cc and coupons and saved $40.00

Happy Shopping

I adore the selection at Forever 21! I also get a lot of stuff from Target and JcPenny. JcPenny has a lot of really cool on-trend collar necklaces right now. I used to shop a lot at Claire's/Icing, but I haven't been there in a while. I have also bought a piece from HSN by designer Heidi Daus. Her stuff is flashy, but that's what I'm into. I really, really like her rings. :D

Poking around on the HSN website, they look like they have some other really cool designers! Jewelry Television has some good stuff too-and you can score some good deals on real gemstones.

lawskool10, I think that cz is pretending to be diamonds and goldtone jewelry is pretending to be 14k. That just doesn't appeal to me.

I don't want to wear fake jewelry that might, at first glance, look like the real thing--I figure that a mugger isn't going to carry a jeweler's loup, and I'm just at risk with a three carat cz as I would be with a three carat diamond.

OK, here are the places listed so far.

Cinsigment shops

Craft fairs

Make own

Macys

Forever 21, Sam Moom

Express, NY& Co, Charmin Charlie

Kohls

Target

Dillards

Coldwarwe Creek

Chicos

Nordstrom

Ann Taylor

Bloomingdales

no of designers

Silpada

Brighton

JCPenny

HSN

I'll add Talbots, TJMaxx, Marshalls and Stein Mart.

As you can see, there is no one best place.;) Everyone has favorite stores or favorite designers and by the looks of the list, you can find it most anywhere. The only limitations are finding something that you like at a price you are willing to pay.

Edited by iheartbda

lawskool10, I think that cz is pretending to be diamonds and goldtone jewelry is pretending to be 14k. That just doesn't appeal to me.

I don't want to wear fake jewelry that might, at first glance, look like the real thing--I figure that a mugger isn't going to carry a jeweler's loup, and I'm just at risk with a three carat cz as I would be with a three carat diamond.

I don't see it that way. When I think of something being fake, I think of counterfeit bags and the like. I've seen lots of CZ and goldtone jewelry as well as the real thing. CZ and goldtone does not compare.

If a mugger really wants to mug someone, they are going to do it. Especially if you loook like an easy target.

I should say that it's fine that you don't CZ and goldtone jewelry. Your reasoning seemed a little "high horse", especially when you said you like jewelry from art fairs. I would not consider jewelry from art fairs to be "real" jewelry.

Edited by lawskool10

lawskool10, there are art fairs and there are art fairs--some have gorgeous high end pieces costing thousands of dollars that would never be considered costume.

But this thread is about costume jewelry, and I have bought what I would call costume jewelry (enamel, beads, glass--but not gems, sterling silver or 14/18k gold) at art fairs.

Your comment about muggers is just the point I was trying to make--wearing cheap jewelry that looks like gems or real gold makes me just as vulnerable as wearing the real thing.

I'm sorry that you have chosen to interpret my comments in a negative way--I don't think your remarks are helpful in a discussion about where to buy costume jewelry.

lawskool10, there are art fairs and there are art fairs--some have gorgeous high end pieces costing thousands of dollars that would never be considered costume.

But this thread is about costume jewelry, and I have bought what I would call costume jewelry (enamel, beads, glass--but not gems, sterling silver or 14/18k gold) at art fairs.

Your comment about muggers is just the point I was trying to make--wearing cheap jewelry that looks like gems or real gold makes me just as vulnerable as wearing the real thing.

I'm sorry that you have chosen to interpret my comments in a negative way--I don't think your remarks are helpful in a discussion about where to buy costume jewelry.

I don't think yours were either.

I DID give some suggestions, BTW.