Reasonable pre cruise hotel in ft Lauderdale

lukesgrammie

I was checking Priceline for hotels in January, but I do not know what area to choose that is close to the pier. I am looking for something nice, but reasonable. I don't know what "area" to bid on. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Some reading on the Florida Departures board (if the Mods don't move it there as this doesn't have anything to do with Princess) located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

would reveal MANY recommendations. I agree with the 17th St suggestion.

You will also need to define "reasonable". Florida is pretty expensive in the peak winter months.

If it is for only one night then standards may be a little different than a several day stay. Prices on hotels in FLL are very high. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Potstech

We are going out of FLL in January also. Did my research a couple of weeks ago and found that most hotels that cost $100/night in July cost $200+ in January.

We booked Quality Inn Airport/Cruise @ 2520 Stirling, Hollywood. It got very good ratings, free shuttle airport and port, breakfast;), 5 miles from the port, $118 total.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I usually use Hotwire for FLL and can usually figure out which hotel is Renaissance on 17th Street. There are "better bidding" sites that can help you identify this hotel. We got it for $115 in April when Embassy Suites was sold out. Thought that was a good price. Going rate was $170.

Edited by Coral

We've used this place in the past.

https://www.choicehotels.com/florida/dania/sleep-inn-hotels/fl664

Decent, not fancy, and they have a free shuttle from the airport and a shuttle (I think $10.00 per person) to the pier. Tip, pick up food for the evening from the airport vendors (unless you like Chinese) because the last time we were there all of the other restaurants at the shopping center across the street had closed up.

We are going out of FLL in January also. Did my research a couple of weeks ago and found that most hotels that cost $100/night in July cost $200+ in January.

We booked Quality Inn Airport/Cruise @ 2520 Stirling, Hollywood. It got very good ratings, free shuttle airport and port, breakfast;), 5 miles from the port, $118 total.

i've stayed there, for an over niter before a cruise. It was OK, it certainly served its purpose.

http://www.sunny.org for hotels, transportation, restaurants and attractions.

As others have said, January is peak season and Martin Luther King Day weekend is probably the most expensive; weekdays are usually cheaper than weekends. Find a room now with a refundable deposit that you can live with and then you can keep looking for something 'better.'

As already stated the hotels in the area significantly raise their rates during the winter cruising season (like double!) because they can get it. So plan to pay several hundred for one night although rooms can be found in the $150 or so range. Some offer free transportation to the cruise port. We have used the La Quinta which was quite nice but pricey.

Last year in February we stayed at the Rodeway Cruise Port. It was a dive with very small rooms (our cabin on the ship was bigger!), questionable WiFi and a manager (owner?) who made Hitler look good. We were awaken the morning of the cruise by the loud speakers scattered around the hotel. It is an old hotel with outside room access and no elevator to the second floor. I wrote a negative report on trip advisor and the manager contacted me and demanded I resend with a favorable review. I refused and he then told trip advisor the review was of another hotel in the area. I later learned on cc from locals that this hotel was well known for gestapo tactics and treating people like cattle. It is cheap by local standards and there is a reason.

Port Everglades is 10 mins. from the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

1 night? you can stay around the airport.

Multiple nights with car? you can try around the Plantation, Fl area west of Ft. Lauderdale.

Multiple nights without a car? you need to stay in the SE 17th street area or along the beach where there is transportation and/or restaurants are within walking distance.

Winter prices are high in all areas, but away from the ocean in Plantation they are a little lower.

Winter prices are high in all areas, but away from the ocean in Plantation they are a little lower.

There was a post this past winter by a well traveled couple who chose to spend the night in the airport instead of paying the $400 that hotels in the area wanted for less than 12 hours in a room.

As already stated the hotels in the area significantly raise their rates during the winter cruising season (like double!) because they can get it. So plan to pay several hundred for one night although rooms can be found in the $150 or so range. Some offer free transportation to the cruise port. We have used the La Quinta which was quite nice but pricey.

Last year in February we stayed at the Rodeway Cruise Port. It was a dive with very small rooms (our cabin on the ship was bigger!), questionable WiFi and a manager (owner?) who made Hitler look good. We were awaken the morning of the cruise by the loud speakers scattered around the hotel. It is an old hotel with outside room access and no elevator to the second floor. I wrote a negative report on trip advisor and the manager contacted me and demanded I resend with a favorable review. I refused and he then told trip advisor the review was of another hotel in the area. I later learned on cc from locals that this hotel was well known for gestapo tactics and treating people like cattle. It is cheap by local standards and there is a reason.

That manager is well known on Trip advisor and not in a good way!:rolleyes:

How dare he contact you and demand you change your review...WOW!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

We've used this place in the past.

https://www.choicehotels.com/florida/dania/sleep-inn-hotels/fl664

Decent, not fancy, and they have a free shuttle from the airport and a shuttle (I think $10.00 per person) to the pier. Tip, pick up food for the evening from the airport vendors (unless you like Chinese) because the last time we were there all of the other restaurants at the shopping center across the street had closed up.

We booked this (Sleep Inn) this past January and again for our February 2016 pre-cruise. Went up $50 for 2016. $230 out the door. Free airport p/u and $10 pp transfer to port next morning. Clean, decent breakfast. Yes, just Chinese in mini mall across the street. Suited our need for 1 night.

We originally booked Roadway this past January but canceled and booked Sleep Inn. However, we had 11 hours to kill from disembarkment to the time our plane took off so we booked a "day room" at Roadway. Picked us up at the cruise port, and brought us to the airport as part of the $50 package. Beat waiting in the airport. We used the pool and freshened up in the room. Sports bar attached with halfway decent food for lunch. Wouldn't want to sleep overnight but that's just our opinion.

I was checking Priceline for hotels in January, but I do not know what area to choose that is close to the pier. I am looking for something nice, but reasonable. I don't know what "area" to bid on. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Downtown or beach.

The deals won't be plentiful in Jan.

Not sure what you consider "reasonable". If we get something on a weekend in Jan. for around $200 we are usually happy.

I would highly recomend the Hampton Inn North Airport Cruise Port. Free shuttle from airport and a nominal fee shuttle to port. Free breakfast ,clean, nice pool area, across the street from a small shopping area with some restaurants. We were allowed to check in at10 am. Definetely would go back

For Ft. Lauderdale cruising during high season (the winter months) prices are really high. I have found that if I book way in advance(a year), I still get decent rates at the hotels of choice. Friends staying at same hotel that booked later paid almost double.

I also now book only hotels along 17th St, more convenient for last minute shopping and nice restaurants.

A few years ago we went for the cheap. Stayed at Rodeway Inn for two nights. A bit further out, no restaurants in sight(only the bar restaurant at hotel, food was actually good.). We decided to take transportation to 17th st for dinner one night . I believe it cost us $50.00 to get there and back. After that my husband said book closer no matter what the cost.

In the end it worked out cheaper being on 17th.

I like Holiday Inn Express and also Embassy Suites. You can actually walk into port if you are not bogged down with lots of luggage. However we book a shuttle through the Hotel at $8.00 a person.

For people driving, Embassy Suites has a parking lot in the rear that you can park there all week for a fee much cheaper than port parking.

And you don't need to stay at hotel to do that.

I enjoy coming into Ft. Lauderdale a couple of days early and enjoying the city.And am well rested for our cruise.

I looked at LMT. Their prices are per person!! The price looked really good until I saw that. I did better (hotel not as many stars, but way cheaper) and a better rental car deal from AAA.

lastminutetravel.com is NOT a per person site. Not sure where you saw anything like that? :confused: You book a room just like any other booking site. Only the cruise line books hotels at a per person rate.

Sounds like you went to look somewhere else.

Edited by eandj

Could you stay for 3 nights in a row? We have a gap between cruises.

Of course you can stay as long as you want. ;) But being away from the city area, you will be spending money for cabs if you want to have a variety of things to see and do for that many days.