Is it a bad year to be travelling solo? Some really bad solo pricing rip-offs - Vent

westcoasttech

For me, land based travel is not a hassle but an adventure -- and my favourite are road trips. Fly to X (say Portugal), pick up a rental car, and drive around the country, return the rental car and fly home. Rent hotel rooms or cottages along the way, and experience/eat/sleep on your schedule as you see fit. Or fly to Y, take a hotel room for the duration, and then consider bus or train travel for day trips to other cities to see things you might want to see nearby. I did that in Spain, with a hotel room in Barcelona for a week followed by Madrid for a week, but in actuality I visited about 7 different places in Spain during my 2 weeks.

Eating alone is my only down side to land trips, as I get enough of that at home and like company - but I can manage. And I also shop locally and prepare my own meals when I can, which is another fun experience of different markets and culture.

I hear you. I actually prefer land trips if I have a lot of time and want to do more exploring than anything. I've only gone on a handful of cruises in my life. To me, if I just want a few days to just relax, gorge on food, use hot tubs daily, and do some snorkeling (honestly, the only good snorkeling that I have ever done has been in Israel and Hawaii; I didn't think it was as good in Belize, Grand Cayman, or Nassau), then I like the idea of cruising. To me the next cruises I would want to do at some point is another Alaskan cruise that has a stop in Sitka (I think only HA stops there but I could be wrong), Caribbean cruise with Cozumel and Costa Maya, and another Caribbean cruise of the Virgin Islands. I also work in education so my schedule is pretty similar to students. The idea of taking a cruise when I know there will be a ton of kids around does not appeal to me whatsoever. If around Spring Break I want to go somewhere, I doubt it would be a cruise LOL.

For me, land based travel is not a hassle but an adventure -- and my favourite are road trips. Fly to X (say Portugal), pick up a rental car, and drive around the country, return the rental car and fly home. Rent hotel rooms or cottages along the way, and experience/eat/sleep on your schedule as you see fit. Or fly to Y, take a hotel room for the duration, and then consider bus or train travel for day trips to other cities to see things you might want to see nearby. I did that in Spain, with a hotel room in Barcelona for a week followed by Madrid for a week, but in actuality I visited about 7 different places in Spain during my 2 weeks.

Eating alone is my only down side to land trips, as I get enough of that at home and like company - but I can manage. And I also shop locally and prepare my own meals when I can, which is another fun experience of different markets and culture.

That is why I made the comment, Different strokes for different folks:D.....it is great we all have choices and can

do what is best for ourselves.

I hear you. I actually prefer land trips if I have a lot of time and want to do more exploring than anything. I've only gone on a handful of cruises in my life. To me, if I just want a few days to just relax, gorge on food, use hot tubs daily, and do some snorkeling (honestly, the only good snorkeling that I have ever done has been in Israel and Hawaii; I didn't think it was as good in Belize, Grand Cayman, or Nassau), then I like the idea of cruising. To me the next cruises I would want to do at some point is another Alaskan cruise that has a stop in Sitka (I think only HA stops there but I could be wrong), Caribbean cruise with Cozumel and Costa Maya, and another Caribbean cruise of the Virgin Islands. I also work in education so my schedule is pretty similar to students. The idea of taking a cruise when I know there will be a ton of kids around does not appeal to me whatsoever. If around Spring Break I want to go somewhere, I doubt it would be a cruise LOL.

I totally agree with you on the time of year.....I cruise when it is not spring break:)......but I am not in the education

field and can choose all the other months.:)

The idea of taking a cruise when I know there will be a ton of kids around does not appeal to me whatsoever. If around Spring Break I want to go somewhere, I doubt it would be a cruise LOL.

No kidding. Since I favour transoceanic cruises of >10 days, lots of kids are unlikely to be an issue. My 17 day transpacific cruise followed by a 10 day road trip in New Zealand was a perfect mix (though, of course, I wish I'd had more time. Don't we always....).

I'm envious of many of you where you will happily spend double just to get the solo cabin.

I don't think any of us said we're happy about spending 200%!! :p Unfortunately, that's the way it works much of the time, but trust me, I'm never happy about it! LOL.

I guess I've been fortunate this year, as I've managed to book three cruises this year at what I feel are very reasonable rates. The first is on Princess this fall, the single supplement was waived for inside cabins....I found out on the solo forum and booked it right away. The second is on the NCL Epic in February in a studio cabin, with the beverage package. The third isn't until January 2019 on the RCCL Anthem - I got a balcony with only a small supplement (I think it was 25%) that I located on a cruise locator site.

My recommendations are: book early, keep looking, and look to other this site for ideas. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something that fits your pocket book and your bucket list :)

• 1 month later...
L...

It is frustrating that when I book a studio cabin on NCL, the booking promos don't usually apply to me. As long as they also don't apply to inside bookings, I find it a little easier to swallow. .... Fortunately, I'm not much of a drinker so not having the beverage package isn't much of a factor for me.

I've never not gotten the UBP perk in a studio the past couple of years. Did you go through a travel agent?

I've never not gotten the UBP perk in a studio the past couple of years. Did you go through a travel agent?

I've only booked a studio twice. Once there was no perk and the second time NCL was running one of their rare promos where studio bookings got one perk. I booked that one through a TA, but would have gotten it booking directly, too.

I've only booked a studio twice. Once there was no perk and the second time NCL was running one of their rare promos where studio bookings got one perk. I booked that one through a TA, but would have gotten it booking directly, too.

I'm not sure if you're saying "rare" tough in cheek. Because you're a pro cruiser and because Free at Sea has been running for a loooong time and includes studios with one perk. One Black Friday, 2015, I got two FAS perks in a studio! Now that was rare.

I'm not sure if you're saying "rare" tough in cheek. Because you're a pro cruiser and because Free at Sea has been running for a loooong time and includes studios with one perk. One Black Friday, 2015, I got two FAS perks in a studio! Now that was rare.

I actually wasn't being tongue in cheek! I'm relatively new to NCL with only five cruises with them. I'll be in my second studio in September. I was under the impression from threads I've read here on CC that studios don't usually get any booking promos. Of course I could be completely wrong on that! I do love the studios. One of the reasons I sailed the Epic last year was to try them out and I was surprised by how much I liked my studio and liked being on a mega ship. I can't wait to be on her again soon!

As someone mentioned, the boats are running full, due to the booming stock market, and better economy. I heard that during the last recession there were unbelievable bargains. When the next recession hits (and there always will be another one), you should have no problem finding bargains for Solos...... As the ships have to try and fill their boats, just to reduce their losses.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I booked my Escape Studios next year for a base of $1,099 and $1,049- they have now risen to $1,449 and $1,149- I was going to invite some friends to go but know don't know how they will react to the price changes.

NCL deals used to be a lot better- now they rarely have last minute discounts with no supplements on the ships with studios- so it doesn't seem as easy to upgrade as it was in the past. True, they do offer sometimes a cheap base inside or balcony - but that has no promos eligible.

Bliss studios for 2018 in the summer because it is new seem out of control- I hope to book in summer of 2019 and am estimating $1,400-$1,500 to get in then.

I actually wasn't being tongue in cheek! I'm relatively new to NCL with only five cruises with them. I'll be in my second studio in September. I was under the impression from threads I've read here on CC that studios don't usually get any booking promos. Of course I could be completely wrong on that! I do love the studios. One of the reasons I sailed the Epic last year was to try them out and I was surprised by how much I liked my studio and liked being on a mega ship. I can't wait to be on her again soon!

Late response and also echoing the previous poster a bit, but IIRC, the UBP started being offered around the same time they ratcheted up the base price by quite a bit. I feel like it's been offered on my last three Studio cruises (GA and Escape). I book directly with NCL.

My first NCL studio was on the GA, and it was only two years ago now ... at $899 base price. I don't do a lot of mock bookings but studios are typically at *least* $1200 when I look now. Heck of a jump ... to pay for the "free" promos we get now.

(My next solo will be next month on Oasis, my first RC trip. I got a large interior stateroom for about $1500 all in. Since their internet is so much cheaper and I don't have to pay $200 for thermal suite (because they don't have one) it's about the same as a studio would cost me now. But I'm going to miss the solo lounge, the buffet (hear WJ is terrible) and the thermal suite. And o'sheehan's.)

I look forward to reading your review of RCCL- I do remember as well when studios were cheaper- I started at $750 on the Epic and did pay $1,099 for the Breakaway but it was the first year so I thought it was reasonable- One time I really lucked out and paid $545 for a studio (upgraded to a balcony for a good deal on that one)

As you said- $1,200 now seems average and then you are charged a service fee for the free promo on top of that as well!

As Tiger Girl posted above- I got 2 promos on a studio as well (but couldnt make the date) - wish I did as it was $899 base price.

However, $1,800-$1,900 for a studio on the Bliss is absurd

• 2 weeks later...

There are bargains to be had for solos. The Holland Vancouver-San Diego relocation cruises are usually so cheap that it comes out to $100 a day for solos. Their Mexican cruises also usually come out at 150% for a solo, so you can get something like a January 2019 Mexico for around $900. Their Vancouver-Hawaii one-way fares can also be cheap, under $1,000 for a solo.

For Alaska, NCL had some ridiculous last-minute fares earlier in the season, in May-June, for $600-700 for a solo.

For Europe, NCL also just started sending their megaships on the Baltic sea route, so in June you could get 9 nights for $700-800 as well as a solo.

Then for Carnival, they're also moving a larger ship to their 7-day Mexico trips year-round, so even 200% is still around $900, and if you want to save money, they have 2 ships that do a constant 4-day trips out of LA that come out to around $500 for an inside. Princess also has 4-7 day trips out of LA to Mexico that are a bit more, but still offer good deals, even at 200% (like $1000 for a 7-day Mexico fare in January).

I live near Seattle, so $200 airfare to southern California also saves a lot, and the Mexican ports usually aren't as swamped by other cruise ships and passengers as in the Caribbean or Alaska, and on coastal cruises I enjoy strolling around VIctoria or sailing under the Golden Gate bridge much more than facing 'buy my stuff' pleas elsewhere.

O -- you might try Princess.

I just booked a 14-day "Midnight Sun" cruise along the Norwegian coast & Artic circle for June 2018 -- inside for under $5000. More $$$ than I'd like but not a surprise. The same cruise also sails in August.

Good luck!

Cruise and Maritime Voyage (this is a British line, where the currency on board is pound sterling but they also have a NO children policy!!) has only a 25% single supplement on ALL sailings (maybe they do not need to gouge as there is no Arison family member to support ;p!) and on selected Azamara sailings and I think some of the higher end like Crystal do that occasionally, in fact on the Crystal Amazon cruise coming up the single is CHEAPER than half the double!!

What I find really, really upsetting is many of the upscale cruise lines have a 2 for 1 offer, so two people pay half as much but eat twice as much as one person, where the solo traveler pays twice as much and eats half as much (I tended to waste a lot of food because of my invisible roommate!)

I travel solo ... I like travelling solo. I accept that I will frequently have to pay 200% pricing and hunt for normal pricing that is lower, so that the 200% doesn't sting so much.

I've been looking around for last minute price drops on some of the routes I would really like to do, if I can get them at the "right" price, and these are some of the recent examples I've found of solo gouging:

RCCL "Arctic Circle" in early June - the price has dropped to $1294 (Cdn pricing) per person for an inside ... so you would think something around $2,500 for a solo, right, an acceptable price for my budget? Nope - guarantees are not available to be booked as a solo, so lowest pricing for a solo is around the $4,500 mark - so not 200%, or 300%, but almost 400% supplement!!! I have seen Celebrity do this (guarantees not available for solos) before (frequently), but now RCCL is doing it too! I like the RCCL product (and sail them frequently), but this is just blatant gouging [iMO]!

NCL have a no/low single supplement promo currently running. However that seems to be only for very few categories of cabins, so if they are sold out, then it's back to 200% supplement. On some ships the guarantee categories (X categories) are still available at no/low supplement. HOWEVER, with those guarantee categories you then don't get the current perks of beverage package, credits etc. So the choice then is take the no/low supplement but be the only one on the ship that doesn't have the perks, or you can pay the double supplement and get the (single) perks (as there is only one of you in the cabin). So, pay the same/close to every other passenger but not have the same perks, or pay double what every other passenger has paid and get half the perks.

I would really like to do the Norway coast up to the Arctic circle, however the pricing is just crazy on some of these sailings. While I appreciate that this is a popular route with less cruise traffic and smaller ships, however $6K, $7K and up for an inside cabin for a solo cabin is, in my books, a rip-off - the luxury lines of Viking Ocean and Azamara are not much more than that, and you get all the extras that those lines offer.

Okay, vent over ... I'm having a very frustrating day of cruise hunting!!!

One of the reasons, that the Amazon (and for than matter India cruises) are so cheap at the last minute, is the whole visa thing, India allows you to use an Evisa in three seaports but NOT Bombay and Brazil makes you go through the whole hassle also with theirs, but I was told directly by Brazilian embassy that in 2018, they absolutely, positively, will be using the evisa (though I forgot to ask, if it could be used in ports) maybe someone else could ask, I had to send multiple emails and almost was going to call them before they replied.

My priority is itinerary. I have been able to find excellent deals last minute which I book. I simply am very flexible with no issue leaving last minute. I am finding the single supplements with NCL dropping later, which also is fine with me.

I will continue to avoid paying double which I haven't yet, and still able to sail at least monthly. I do have to significant advantage of not paying for any air, which is a whole another story. But the deals are out there. I'm just back from the NCL Sun sailed 8-21 at $499 and NCL Dawn for tomorrow $349-, Will watch this all week and snack next week's deal, since I'm headed to Gloucester this weekend for several days of whale watching. :) From 2016 to present- 14 no supplement cruises taken. :)