Anthem of the Seas with 2yo?

Raeofsunshine18

Experienced cruiser here going on my first cruise with my LO who will be 26 months at time of sailing. We have selected a 5 night cruise on Anthem of the Seas because: 1) it is east coast departure so we can drive, 2) they have childcare for her age group (aware of extra cost), 3) they have a small splash area that allows swim diaper. However, I am little concerned about the amount of people on the ship and wondering if it is really the best option for us.

Any advice or insights? Anyone sail Quantum class with a toddler? Would you recommend another ship (prefer east coast port of departure - so others options that I am aware of are Norwegian Gem, Escape or Dawn, Adventure of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Carnival Pride or Horizon, or Celebrity Summit)?

Any random advice about sailing with a 2yo is much appreciated as well!

my friends did a quantum class cruise last year with 2 kids (7 and 9 yo), and they hated it. Long lines to get to a buffet, long lines for everything, too many people, and the food (compared to Regal/Royal Princess) wasn't all that good.

We did a Liberty of the Seas with our then 3 yo and loved it. I don't remember having a splash area for diapered kids (probably isn't one), but ours was potty trained by then. It's the same ship as Independence of the Seas our friends went on with us with their 3 yo and loved it. Same as Liberty of the Seas.

I'd do a smaller ship, I guess, but not old and small. At least, RCI has a lot more to do on the ship with/for kids than Princess, but a 2 yo can't do a lot of those things anyway (ice skating, rock climbing wall, mini golf, etc.)

Experienced cruiser here going on my first cruise with my LO who will be 26 months at time of sailing. We have selected a 5 night cruise on Anthem of the Seas because: 1) it is east coast departure so we can drive, 2) they have childcare for her age group (aware of extra cost), 3) they have a small splash area that allows swim diaper. However, I am little concerned about the amount of people on the ship and wondering if it is really the best option for us.

Any advice or insights? Anyone sail Quantum class with a toddler? Would you recommend another ship (prefer east coast port of departure - so others options that I am aware of are Norwegian Gem, Escape or Dawn, Adventure of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Carnival Pride or Horizon, or Celebrity Summit)?

Any random advice about sailing with a 2yo is much appreciated as well!

Welcome to Cruise Critic...

Anthem would be a fine choice that will provide the things you're looking for as well as the Adventure (that would be my choice). We sail often with extended family that includes infants & toddlers.

Don't let one person's bad experience influence you too much....As an experienced cruiser I'm sure you'll do your research and decide what's best for this new adventure in cruising with your LO.

It's really easier than you might be imagining. After 20+ cruises with RCI adding our newest family members gave us more to consider and plan for but it's well worth it.

Enjoy your cruise and the memories you'll be making.

Yes..there are tons of folks, but other than when shows let out, or prime eating times, or the pools on sea days...you won't "feel' like it's that many people.

hi cb! we've sailed together and i've seen you all over these boards, but it's been a while since i've lurked. so hello ;)

Just one note on Adventure - it is one of 6 RCI ships that does not have a drop off nursery for the under-3 set! That said, we are considering taking DD on Adventure just after she turns 1 and utilizing the more expensive in-cabin babysitting option,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Our first two cruises were on Grandeur with our son when he was 3 and 5. We loved this ship for our little one. It is small with relatively few bells and whistles, but he did not need those. Grandeur also has nursery, but no splash area. Our son was potty-trained when we went, so he loved this shallow part of the pool. I have posted reviews for both these cruises with my signature - but you need to view this site on PC to see the links. For some reason, they do not show on mobile app.

I would also consider Anthem if it's closer to you. It looks like a beautiful ship.

Just got off anthem today with my *almost* three year old son and my 7 month old nephew. We took full advantage of the nursery and even my son asked to go pretty regularly. It's an added expense that's 100% worth it. There is also an open play room (9am - 10pm) that you can use.

As for other stuff, toddlers are too small to do the activities, but my son loved running around empty halls, looking out the windows in two70, and general exploration. We brought some matchbox cars that he brought into the splash pad areas. He did some swimming in the big pools and hot tubs, but the lifeguard kept harassing us insisting that she saw my LO wearing a swim diaper (he wasn't) so we stopped going.

Overall it's a great ship for kids! I want to try oasis class next, but so far, he's been on 2 RC ships with nurseries and we have liked both.