Grand Cayman - Deep Shore Dive Near Georgetown

lx200gps

We'll be visiting GC yet again, on Feb 15, 2018, off the Regal Princess. Is anyone aware of any of the nearby dive ops in reasonable proximity to the tender docks (Eden Rock, Divers Down, Sunset House,etc) who have a deep dive site available from shore? In reviewing my stack of C Cards and Specialties I've accumulated over the last few years years, I notice that I am a single PADI Deep "Adventure" dive away from fully qualifying for the AOW card, and so I thought I would try to get that dive in during our visit. I'm not sure if any of the dive ops would even entertain doing it, but I thought I would start here first and find out whether it's even a possibility. If the only 100' diving available to me is off a boat, we simply won't have the time to do it during our visit, and I may try to tilt the dive to Cozumel the next day.

Thanks in advance

At Sunset House and Eden Rock the first coral ridge bottoms out at around 60, but if you continue swimming out (west) you DO come to the second drop and this is the same wall the boats take you to altho most sites are a bit north off the 7 Mile area., list where the fixed moorings were placed.

It is a bit of a swim out, but I did once have a resident DM offer to take me on a deep night dive from shore .... I didn't go but he said he'd found a wreck at around 90 that was very unexplored at the time. Subsequently the submarine tour boat started going to the location ....

I doubt you'd find a person from a shop that would do it today .... my experience was LONG ago .... 80's

There is a small barge wreck beyond the mermaid statue off of Sunset House that is in a depth of 70-75 I think. What depth is needed for Adventure Diver? Just north of the Turtle Farm is a shore site that looked to me as though it gets deep quickly--we were near shore entertained by tarpon in 40-60 ft. There are folks on Grand Cayman who specialize in guided shore dives! I take it that one needs an instructor anyway for the Cert. Happy diving!

Thanks all, lots of good intel. FYI, the PADI dive I need to complete my AOW is simply dive #1 of the 4 dive PADI Deep Speciality (which I will eventually complete anyway) The PADI Instructor Guide states that this particular dive is done to a depth of 30M. We are scheduled to arrive in GC at 7AM, but will need to tender in as cruise ships don't dock. I know I will have to be somewhat flexible as to location, Eden Rock is very close to town, Sunset House is a short taxi ride away as my wife refuses to walk that stretch of Church St/West Bay Road (fast drivers and no sidewalks). Anywhere along the west coast of the island would be fine, and a reasonable surface swim out to gain the depth is fine as well, though I would prefer to stay close to town if possible

ConchyJoe1, how about we tilt our chat to a PM over on SB. I'm CGE925 over there.

Thanks...

Jeff

I've walked Sunset to/from town dozens of times with no ill effects .... over the course of 30 years. "traffic' is a two lane road of mostly sane islanders .....

reasonable swim out may mean a couple of hundred yards ..... doesn't sound like much until you've done it. Distance was the main reason I didn't do it when offered . .

but good luck ...... personally I think you are making a mistake

Edited by Capt_BJ

I've walked Sunset to/from town dozens of times with no ill effects .... over the course of 30 years. "traffic' is a two lane road of mostly sane islanders .....

reasonable swim out may mean a couple of hundred yards ..... doesn't sound like much until you've done it. Distance was the main reason I didn't do it when offered . .

but good luck ...... personally I think you are making a mistake

Obviously, YMMV. The last time we tried to walk it, we almost got run over and witnessed a car run off the road right in front of us. My wife refuses to do the walk, we'd take a taxi

You don't know who or what I am, so how can you say I can't swim a few hundred yards in full scuba gear? You've lost me...

I also have no idea why you say we're making a mistake. We haven't even decided what we're going to do or how we're going to do it, so how can I be making a mistake?