What to do with Passport, Ship Card, and Cash while At Beach

I have a question as I haven't cruised in a long time. What does everyone do with their passport while they are swimming at a beach?

We are doing beach days at Princess Cay and we are going to Honeymoon beach in St Thomas. We will probably want to do some swimming and maybe snorkeling.

We always bring a beach bag with us with towels sunscreen sunglasses etc. I am nervous about leaving it.

I thought I read Princess Cay has lockers, but I'm sure not in St Thomas.

For Caribbean(Princess Cays), and all ports there, and Mexico, don't need to show passports . We lock ours up in the cabin's safe as soon as we board the ship.Only time showing passport is checking in at Embarkation, and when disembarking at Immigration.

We just did a Caribbean Eastern and Western in Feb. on another cruise company but under the Carnival umbrella, and they said to bring your passport upon leaving the ship. This was for the different islands. I was not comfortable doing that as usually, like mentioned above, our passports go in our safe for the duration of our cruise. I took them but did not like it. Not once were we asked for them when we got back on the ship. I peeved me that they did this. I take a photocopy and put everything in a waterproof baggie. Better yet you can buy "Safepac" items that lock around your lounge chair leg or around a tree. That would be your ideal item and then your whole party could go in swimming and not worry about your beachbag.

We just did a Caribbean Eastern and Western in Feb. on another cruise company but under the Carnival umbrella, and they said to bring your passport upon leaving the ship. This was for the different islands. I was not comfortable doing that as usually, like mentioned above, our passports go in our safe for the duration of our cruise. I took them but did not like it. Not once were we asked for them when we got back on the ship. I peeved me that they did this. I take a photocopy and put everything in a waterproof baggie. Better yet you can buy "Safepac" items that lock around your lounge chair leg or around a tree. That would be your ideal item and then your whole party could go in swimming and not worry about your beachbag.

I have taken Countless Cruises throughout The Caribbean and Elsewhere and Never Take my Passport out of my Room Safe!

we are from the UK and DH has no drivers license or ID card (we don't have ID cards here) so he will have to take his out with him. I can use my drivers card.would he get away with taking a copy of his passport. Saying that , it's got all his details a thief would want on that if they took it , so not happy about us having to take them off ship at all.

we are from the UK and DH has no drivers license or ID card (we don't have ID cards here) so he will have to take his out with him. I can use my drivers card.would he get away with taking a copy of his passport. Saying that , it's got all his details a thief would want on that if they took it , so not happy about us having to take them off ship at all.

Leave your passport in the safe on the ship. All he needs is some ID with his photo on. It can be a big box store card etc. any kind of card with his photo. You absolutely don't need the stress of clutching your purse/handbag for dear life so that someone doesn't either steal it or pickpocket it. Have a fun cruise. I love cruises.

It is not a Princess requirement, it is a local port requirement to have a government issued photo ID. Most ports will not actually ask to see the photo ID, but some will.

It is to prevent someone who found a lost cruise card from getting into the port area.

When in a foreign country, with the possible exception of much of the Caribbean or Canada, it is not a good idea to not have your passport in your personal possession. Even in the Caribbean or Canada if you should miss the ship and have to fly home it will be necessary. I know that there are those on here that claim if you are not on board at sailing the cruise line will get your passport to the line's agent, but I have never seen that verified and it seems almost ridiculous give the time available. If you need it, you will need it very badly.

If your swimsuit has a pocket just put your ship card and a little cash in a zip lock bag and put in your pocket. Or you can purchase a water proof container for you stuff. Leave passport in safe on the ship.

Be sure the zip lock bag you use is the kind with the "slide" for closing the bag. Regular zip lock bags LEAK:eek: Voice of experience here.:o

We have used "WITZ See it Safe Waterproof ID/Badge Holder Cases" on cruises when going to the beach or participating in activities where you can get wet, and recommend them. You can fit a credit card, the ship's card and a driver's license (or copy of the passport ID page), and still have a bit of room for a couple of bills. You can wear the holder on its lanyard (like an across the body purse so it won't fall from your neck) or attach it to belt hoops by its carabiner. The waterproof seals are still holding up after 8 trips.

There's a larger size (for passports), but that is way too big to fit next to the body or under a swimsuit.

My holder case (with my Princess coffee card) is ready for a Christmas Panama Canal cruise!

I have a question as I haven't cruised in a long time. What does everyone do with their passport while they are swimming at a beach?

We are doing beach days at Princess Cay and we are going to Honeymoon beach in St Thomas. We will probably want to do some swimming and maybe snorkeling.

We always bring a beach bag with us with towels sunscreen sunglasses etc. I am nervous about leaving it.

First Princess Cay is a private island and you are not going to be left behind, so leave your passport on the ship.

St. Thomas is a US territory and you do not need a passport to fly to the mainland, so unless you are going to the BVI leave your passport on the ship there.

Ships card and cash can get wet so put it in your pocket, if it velcros closed, or take a small plastic bag and put it in that and keep it with you.

What about when you're in a foreign country? We're doing a western Cruise later in the year with stops in Jamaica and Mexico?

Mine never leaves the ship. We often cruise the luxury lines, and they take your passport on embarking and hold it for the duration so you don't have a choice, either in the Caribbean or in Europe.

If you are able to leave your clothes, towells, shoes etc on a chair or somewhere moderatly same you could get a waterproof pouch for you valuables. You bring it with you when ou swim without worrying about theft. They come in many sizes and shapes. This is just an example or a well rated one from Amazon. There are tons of other types and sizes of course. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Waterproof-Purpose/dp/B0010XW3U6/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426487381&sr=1-17&keywords=waterproof+camera+bag

When in a foreign country, with the possible exception of much of the Caribbean or Canada, it is not a good idea to not have your passport in your personal possession. Even in the Caribbean or Canada if you should miss the ship and have to fly home it will be necessary. I know that there are those on here that claim if you are not on board at sailing the cruise line will get your passport to the line's agent, but I have never seen that verified and it seems almost ridiculous give the time available. If you need it, you will need it very badly.

I don't know which line(s) you cruise on but, it is fairly standard practice to list the contact info for the ship's agent in the daily port news you receive in your cabin. You should carry that info with you when you go ashore. And, yes, part of their responsibility is to receive from the purser, and hold for collection by their owners, the passports of passengers who miss the ship.

On most premium/luxury lines, passports are required of all passengers on all itineraries. Most often, the passports are surrendered to the purser's office at embarkation and held there for safekeeping throughout the cruise. Arriving in a country needing passport clearance? Purser handles it while you sleep late. Miss the ship, purser transfers passport to agent. Odd port that requires passport, purser returns your passport.

No brainer here! Do not carry your passport off the ship.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

There are a few things you can do.

Copy your passport info page into your home computer, where it will be if you ever lost it anywhere in the world you can access it through your email.

Your husband needs to get a photo ID made anywhere as long as it has some info such as his name.....The ship just wants to match the picture with the person.

Another thing you can do is to scan your passport info page and reduce/resize it to Credit Card size then laminate it......You can then leave your drivers license on board also....Reducing the cards you carry.

Purchase a bathing suit for your husband that has a pocket and Velcro it.

Whatever you do.....LEAVE your Passport.... ON the SHIP.

Enjoy yourself most of all.

Edited by seashells